Over/Under Dispatch numbers

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
This is not true.
It was always true in my center. Unless you had a bag of smalls picked up every day with 500 or 600 envelopes in it which I was lucky enough to have years ago, I was always way over as was most of the center. Only the "rabbits" would bonus. The WOR is a harassment tool, plain and simple. I went my last 15 years there without looking at it once. I would encourage others not to look at it either. It insulted what intelligence we had. By the way, Go Seahawks!

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Did you scan all that bulk? If you did you should get time credit for all of that and your overallow wouldn't be so high. The only other thing would be DT Load and Unload which would drop it quite a bit. The big thing that a lot of guys do too that kills their allowances is not enter their Leave and Return to building times and punch in other cars. I don't get it. You're killing your own time allowances and hurting your chance of making bonus (if you are in a bonus center like I am.)Killing time allowances? You are kidding right? The time allowances are dead before the numbers hit the paper. Even if I had stood on my head while whistling Dixie, I would have never come close to "bonusing". My last several years if any of them approached me about numbers, especially the new OCS trying to make their impression I would usually state something like " hey it's me! What ever gave you the idea that I give 2 hoots about your numbers? That must have been pretty good crack you smoked this morning!" They would ushually not bother me about that again!

It's not that hard to explain. Each area has a certain time allowance and that time adds up to your dispatch.

We get a warning if drivers work during their break. But then those same drivers just end up saving their entire break for the end of the day. Why is beyond me. If I have the right to take a break, I'm going to take it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was always true in my center. Unless you had a bag of smalls picked up every day with 500 or 600 envelopes in it which I was lucky enough to have years ago, I was always way over as was most of the center. Only the "rabbits" would bonus. The WOR is a harassment tool, plain and simple. I went my last 15 years there without looking at it once. I would encourage others not to look at it either. It insulted what intelligence we had. By the way, Go Seahawks!

Years ago I can recall using a different code when picking up bulk stops that were primarily smalls (9901?).

When you pick up 3000 smalls that will help your numbers, but I do remember being told that you should only put in the number up smalls tubs or pallets you pick up.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Another department store had a dock pickup and an optical dept pickup. I'd do the dock pickup, and when I went into the optical they had a box, standing up flaps open. I asked if they have anything ready and the girl says yes. I asked where, and she pointed to said box. I told her she needed to seal it. "Well, the other guy closes it for us", "Good to know, I'm not the other guy".
Same here...walmart optical used to do that on a route i used to run. They'd leave the express envelopes open unsealed with a label on them and expected me to close them. I adjusted those expectations telling them that if something went missing I could be blamed and also pointed out that if I or another driver grabbed the pile and didnt notice one was open the contents would fall out somewhere. They started sealing them and if once in a while one was left unsealed I'd quietly carry it over to them and they'd seal it and apologize for forgetting.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When you pick up 3000 smalls that will help your numbers, but I do remember being told that you should only put in the number up smalls tubs or pallets you pick up.
Not after I have done the six-sided scan on each one of them to check for double labels.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Until we get a better time allowance for oversized packages, I won't code out smallest. I get the same allowance for a boxed office that I do for an envelope.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same here...walmart optical used to do that on a route i used to run. They'd leave the express envelopes open unsealed with a label on them and expected me to close them. I adjusted those expectations telling them that if something went missing I could be blamed and also pointed out that if I or another driver grabbed the pile and didnt notice one was open the contents would fall out somewhere. They started sealing them and if once in a while one was left unsealed I'd quietly carry it over to them and they'd seal it and apologize for forgetting.

I also deliver to and pickup from a Walmart optical store and they used to do the same. At first I would just go ahead and seal them but after awhile I decided that this was their responsibility. At first they were reluctant and became upset when I carried them over to be sealed, even calling my center manager, but now they normally have them sealed before I get there. On the odd occasion where they don't I go ahead and seal them.

They surprised me the other day with a present for my granddaughter.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I also deliver to and pickup from a Walmart optical store and they used to do the same. At first I would just go ahead and seal them but after awhile I decided that this was their responsibility. At first they were reluctant and became upset when I carried them over to be sealed, even calling my center manager, but now they normally have them sealed before I get there. On the odd occasion where they don't I go ahead and seal them.

So you decided it wasn't your job before, but now you'll do it? What changed between those 2 times?

If you're going to do their job, give them 5-10 resis to go run in trade

O

OLDMAN3

I will hit the end of day button for one stop because I told them if I close it out then I determine what time it gets closed. On my 8 hour days I can can get in with all my break taken in just over 7 hours sometimes (but I still get paid for 8). If this was not the situation I would not do it for them. It benefits me, and their shipping department is just plain lazy, so it is a win for both of us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you decided it wasn't your job before, but now you'll do it? What changed between those 2 times?

If you're going to do their job, give them 5-10 resis to go run in trade

What changed was it went from having to seal them every day to just doing it every once in a while.

As I have said before, doing it once is considered to be a favor-----doing it more than once and it becomes something they expect you to do every day.

AKCoverMan

On the original topic..the numbers are all based on a formula with variables that the company can adjust. There is a set amount of time for each stop made and each piece handled. The amount of time allowed for each stop and each piece is different from neighborhood to neighborhood supposededly based on how much walking etc the driver has to do on average in that neighborhood.

All of these allowances are in my experience very optimistic. For instance a single piece stop at the mall gets the same time allowance if the store is five yards from your park position or on the other side of the mail from where you are required to park. And a single peice resi stop has the same time allowance if the package is available for selection right inside the bulkhead door as it does if you have to search the entire car for it.

There is also a calculation done to compute travel time to and from area and an allowance for every mile driven while on area. I believe based on running many different routes that this formula is fairly accurate if you drive directly to a pretty tight area, spend all day there, and drive straight back. But some routes have several "areas" to them not just one. I call these routes "island hoppers" and I firmly believe the to/from area travel calculation does not fit these routes so well.

Bottom line is I cover most routes in my center and I give the same effort to best of my ability every day yet some days (mostly on high peice count industrial routes loaded by best loaders) I can be close to scratch on others (especially island hoppers) I can be two hours over.

So the most I ever do (when I bother to look at over/under) is compare how I did to how I did the same route the day before. And maybe compare what I come in at to the bid driver. But really over/under is the least of my concerns.. I care about no injurys or accidents first and taking care of customers second. Over/under is not even on the same list of prioritys as those first two!

The numbers aren't consistent. Some routes have better numbers than others, by an hour or more. And paid breaks aren't factored in, at least on our Orion computer screen. So, with two 10 minute breaks anything better than .34 over is scratch.