Overgoods - missing or duplicate labels

Sixth Punch Sense

We are told to scan the extra as a duplicate and to add dup 1z in the remarks column. I doubt most drivers do that, especially split drivers that don't care about tracers

We were told to scan the duplicate label in a new stop, that way UPS gets paid. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I do

No, It doesn't go to overgoods. It gets delivered. UPS doesn't even know there is a duplicate label until it gets to the driver.
OK noted
So let's say a package was given a duplicate label by mistake:
  • It would be delivered nonetheless most of the time
  • In the rarest event it's returned to sender, would it bypass Overgoods?
Adding information that the duplicate label has the same receiver address. Both packages are meant to go to the same person.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
OK noted
  • It would be delivered nonetheless most of the time
  • In the rarest event it's returned to sender, would it bypass Overgoods?
Could just be floating in purgatory if it has 2 different address’s on it first sorter reads one label next sorter reads the other
round and round she goes never to be seen outside the hub again

Could just be floating in purgatory if it has 2 different address’s on it first sorter reads one label next sorter reads the other
round and round she goes never to be seen outside the hub again
Nice point, added clarification that both packages are going to the same address

Automaton

Nice point, added clarification that both packages are going to the same address

Many times it's obvious that an item got double shipped — two identical pkgs with the same tracking number. When I see this, if I make contact with someone I ask them if they ordered two of the same thing. If they say no, I ask them if they want to refuse one of them. Almost always they refuse one of them.

bumped

It would get delivered. The driver may only see one of the labels and scan it if the pkg has two labels on it. The other label would not get a scan.

I was taught to scan everything, so If I see a pkg with both labels on it to the same address I would scan them both.

The only time something goes to overgoods is if there is no label on the package at all or if both the receiver refuses a package and the shipper refuses it when sent back to them (rare, but I've seen it happen).

If a box breaks open somewhere and the items are loose without knowing which box it goes then those loose items go to overgoods.

bumped

OK noted
  • It would be delivered nonetheless most of the time YES
  • In the rarest event it's returned to sender, would it bypass Overgoods? YES, unless the sender refuses it also
Adding information that the duplicate label has the same receiver address. Both packages are meant to go to the same person.

bumped

We were told to scan the duplicate label in a new stop, that way UPS gets paid. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I do
That is the way we used to do it. Now, if you scan the duplicate label the DIAD will ask if it's a rescan or a duplicate label. If, duplicate label, you would have to type in the last 3 digits I believe.

2Down2Many2Go

Dear all,

If anyone is familiar with the Overgoods department, appreciate some input here.

Recently we had problems with 2 multiple-piece international shipments.

Shipment 1:
  • This shipment consists of 10 cartons
  • All 9 cartons were successfully delivered but 1 carton went missing
  • There was no "origin scan" at all nor any other status
  • It was eventually returned to sender after about 3 weeks under a different tracking number
  • The parcel was sent from UPS Corporate Goods at Kansas City

Shipment 2:
  • This shipment also consists of 10 cartons
  • 1 carton went missing as well, there was no "origin scan" at all nor any other status
  • It suddenly appeared with a "delivered" status at the destination country
  • Apparently, identical labels were pasted on 2 different cartons
  • Carton A and B have the same tracking number pasted on them, and 1 tracking number wasn't used

My question:
If a carton has a label (that's already been used for another carton) on it such as in Shipment #1, is there a possibility that it goes to the Overgoods department?

And generally, what do you guys think of these 2 cases?
This post sounds like a customer looking for a package.....are you an employee of UPS ?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Yes a clerk has the option of sending it to Corp overgoods although that's the least desirable option, better to directly RTS or if possible create a new label and bill the shipper #

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Would it go to overgoods if the receiver refused it and the return address is a P.O. box?
Eventually, it should go to a clerk first who would attempt to contact the shipper, failing that, overgoods

Honestly OP stop being sketchy as :censored2:, if your shipments are constantly going to overgoods you're screwing up your labels really badly or just trying to scam us

oldngray

nowhere special
Eventually, it should go to a clerk first who would attempt to contact the shipper, failing that, overgoods

Honestly OP stop being sketchy as :censored2:, if your shipments are constantly going to overgoods you're screwing up your labels really badly or just trying to scam us
Once can be a mistake but more often means someone is trying to get some free shipping. The packages will usually get delivered but good chance of getting charged for a billing correction. Or they may make it through the system free of charge. If they disappear then too bad. They were never really in the system.

It was just 2 problematic shipments out of thousands, and due to honest mistakes by someone who pasted the labels

For each of the shipments, 10 labels were generated and billed correctly. The mistake was in pasting the correct labels onto all 10 cartons. And I'm trying to figure out what the mistake was to prevent similar occurrences.

Commercial Inside Release

It will go to overgoods, because when a conman/criminal like you prints a duplicate label from a PDF, I pick up your package and crush it into 1,000 pieces. Then some loader/unloader sweeps it into the overgoods bin at night.