Overtime problem solved

bellesotico

BOXstar
Last week 4 days out of 5 some of us on my belt got overtime due to last minute add/cuts. And I'm not talking about 10 or 15 pieces. Dispatch cut whole cars of at least 250 pieces or more. So yeah, at 8:30 or later after they had sent home all but a few of us..it was going to take a bit of time to unload a whole truck. Then the next day the preload sup would walk up and down the belt griping about not making our time...go figure...

So evidently today they came up with a plan to squash the overtime!! :surprised:

Send the preloaders home and have dispatch do the add/cuts.. :surprised:

How sweet of them to be so thoughtful.....and so sneaky...On the way out..a few of us noticed the dispatch sup with an add/cut sheet and a pen marking boxes and tossing them onto the belt. When she saw us she DUCKED!

Mike Hawk

Ya that will solve it... You now get paid double time instead of over time for the grievance you file, and you don't actually do the work.

drewed

Shankman
No, that’s when we get our raises. Drivers are already getting paid triple time for 9.5 grievances.
idk then, i havent heard of anyone winning their grievances for time clocking sups for double OR getting OT for going over 5 for pt (it was just added in our rider in this contract)

bellesotico

BOXstar
Thanks so much! I guess this recently happened on the other belt in our center. The pre-loader that caught won the grievance he filed. So I'm gonna get the ball rollin on her as well!
Absolutely unnacceptable.

W

westsideworma

Thanks so much! I guess this recently happened on the other belt in our center. The pre-loader that caught won the grievance he filed. So I'm gonna get the ball rollin on her as well!
Absolutely unnacceptable.

That (what your supe did) would get you hung (figuratively) in my building.

I didn't have to worry about making our production number today, running a line with 7 pickoffs with only 4 preloaders will do it. Though somehow we ended up wrapping before the other lines in the building...not sure how that happened. What a first day back from vaca.

daiku

Before you grieve you must give the manager 5 days to rectify the situation. It is in the contractual language from the new contract of which ALL pieces of the new contract superseded the last one when voted in.

Talk with your business agent or steward to get the 5 days rolling. It is likely MGMT will not pay you. Then you grieve having given the company due time to fix their error.

H

hseofpayne

Before you grieve you must give the manager 5 days to rectify the situation. It is in the contractual language from the new contract of which ALL pieces of the new contract superseded the last one when voted in.

Talk with your business agent or steward to get the 5 days rolling. It is likely MGMT will not pay you. Then you grieve having given the company due time to fix their error.

When I was on preload, my sup started making me clock out of the sort aisle and he would sort the next day air. I kept up with the time, filed, got paid. Mind you, this was back in 1987 or so, but I can't imagine our contract has changed so much that management can avoid paying you, whether its double time or not aside.

Daiku: does the new language mean they have 5 days to quit doing hourly work, 5 days to pay her, or 5 days to say yes or no on paying her?

bellesotico

BOXstar

The new contract was ratified but has not taken effect yet.
The last grievance filed on the dispatch sup was won and paid.

tourists24

Where in the contract does it say you have to wait 5 days? File first. If mgt wants to pay you then drop the grievance thru your business agent as a settlement.

Mike Hawk

Not true, there is nothing he can fix, he did union work, maybe if he had a Delorean and some Plutonium...

The new contract was ratified but has not taken effect yet.
The last grievance filed on the dispatch sup was won and paid.

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement
For the Period:
December , 2007 through July 31, 2013

From the NMA link on this site.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Not true, there is nothing he can fix, he did union work, maybe if he had a Delorean and some Plutonium...

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement
For the Period:
December , 2007 through July 31, 2013

From the NMA link on this site

Thanks for the correction! I was thinking wages for some reason...
I don't know. I was wrong though! :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got some money when I filed for a supervisor coming out and taking a misroute from me and taking to another driver. I filed, got paid, as it should be.

Randy

I know I will catch heck for this, but didn't the supervisor save you time by coming to get the misload from you rather than having you and the other driver set up a meet point to exchange the pkg? I support your right to grieve any violations of the contract but would hope that common sense would come in to play, especially in a situation such as the one that you described. Again, I am not saying that you were wrong but think that the supervisor actually helped you in this case as you did not have to break trace and the package made service.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know I will catch heck for this, but didn't the supervisor save you time by coming to get the misload from you rather than having you and the other driver set up a meet point to exchange the pkg? I support your right to grieve any violations of the contract but would hope that common sense would come in to play, especially in a situation such as the one that you described. Again, I am not saying that you were wrong but think that the supervisor actually helped you in this case as you did not have to break trace and the package made service.
There are days when I wish our sup would do this. But, you are right. It is a violation of the contract and I don't advocate breaking the contract. We have a rte that constantly gets misloads. One of the regular misloads is for a post office for the next town over. The preloader has 2 trucks and each truck has a post office. I ran the misload yesterday for the driver, but this is an ongoing problem and they can't seem to fix it.

Not gonna give ya heck about this but I have to say that as long as they P/U packages and make service on them they are not fixing anything. Once that package is delivered the misload is forgotten and nothing done to try and prevent it from happening again. IMO, a misload by a preloader is the same as a missed package by a driver because the driver had his/her head where the sun don't shine. Sure, everyone makes mistakes but unless the mistake is brought to the attention of the loader, it's bound to happen over and over.

Dill, UPS management does not fix many problems, they simply put out fires.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trpl, I agree but in this instance the sup was merely transferring the pkg from one driver to another--he did not actually deliver the pkg. My thought process would have been different had the sup delivered the pkg.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not gonna give ya heck about this but I have to say that as long as they P/U packages and make service on them they are not fixing anything. Once that package is delivered the misload is forgotten and nothing done to try and prevent it from happening again. IMO, a misload by a preloader is the same as a missed package by a driver because the driver had his/her head where the sun don't shine. Sure, everyone makes mistakes but unless the mistake is brought to the attention of the loader, it's bound to happen over and over.

Dill, UPS management does not fix many problems, they simply put out fires.
I absolutely agree sith you TRPL. And yet again yesterday the preloader did the exact same thing. Misloaded a post office on the wrong truck. It's really funny though, that preloader never misloads a P.O. pkg in the other truck. The driver of the rte that gets the P.O. misload averages about 5/10 misloads a week. That is way, way to high. And they never do anything.

Maybe if our sup would get out of his office chair and start driving misloads from one driver to another he would get tired of it and actually do something about the problem.

Last edited: