Package Car Drivers' Heat Exhaustion, Heat Stroke and Heat Related Deaths should be a top safety priority.

Does ORION or EDD require more time in the cargo area?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ORION

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • EDD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ORION

• EDD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThePackageDeli

If someone can put a case together that shows a link between high heat exposure and brain damage, we might be able to get some AC installed with a class action lawsuit.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If someone can put a case together that shows a link between high heat exposure and brain damage, we might be able to get some AC installed with a class action lawsuit.
I believe if everyone showed courage and strictly followed the UPS heat related illness and safety training it would only be a matter of time before UPS would climate control all their vehicle and facilities.

iruhnman630

That is a two-headed coin.

Old school is the best way to reduce time in the 130° oven that is that is the back of the car

Line em up and go

Cowboy Mac

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U This may be the most profound and foretelling statement you've ever made:
"They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology."

Think of a year from now. All this technology, both on the preload side and on the delivery side, has been implemented at tremendous cost so that anyone, even someone fat, stupid, and old like myself, can effectively get a package from point A to point B. Nothing more. I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong, but IMHO the Teamsters' contract next year will be a turning point in UPS' history moving forward, even more so than the '97 strike.
UPS is trying to become the McDonalds of package delivery.

onewithedd

What does Orion have to do with working safely? Does it speak to you and instruct you to work unsafely or is it just a crazy ass map of your route?
No it does not!

But bad management does by saying 95% compliance and when it wants you to zig zag across a 5 lane highway instead of the safe way going down one side making right hand turns. New drivers will follow it because they are told to and don’t know better! That is messed up!!

It’s so pathetic that these new drivers are trained by people who have never been a driver.

I also find humor in the fact that they want you to follow your Orion trace and map navigation because it is the most efficient way to run the route and you mis businesses or have late air, management try’s to hold you responsible for not fixing its mistakes it’s your responsibility!

You can’t have it both ways. It’s a pure failure but UPS can’t fess up to it! You want it followed? Live with the errors!

So 99.9% of the packages are in the system when preload starts why does your super program Orion not have this figured out and then loaded that way in the car??

Brownwind

Yes you do.

Jesus Christ people. The company has you people afraid of your own shadows.

If you need to take a break due to the onset of heat illness or heat stroke, do it. If you need to leave to refill your water, do it. They can't do :censored2:. Sure they'll threaten you that they can, but they can't. Between article 18 of the contract and OSHA regulations, you've got plenty of options for dealing with their games. Hell, call your local news station even. UPS loves that one.
Appreciate your insight. Seriously take a step back and chill out and enjoy a breather. I’m on the tail end of my career and definitely realize the importance of following the guidelines. Remember you didn’t write them but you will pay the price if you don’t follow them. Seriously… it’s just a box and it’s not even your box. You took the cool solutions training. Make brown proud by following the training.

rickyb

We are at the beginning of the most dangerous time of the year for package car drivers regarding heat related health and safety issues.

Does ORION take safety and the exposure to unnecessary excess heat into account the time spent in the back of a package car searching for a package that is not next in the selection area (i.e. 1000 2000 3000 4000 sections)? Why are we searching for a 1lb amazon envelope in the middle of a bulked out package car in the sweltering heat instead of just grabbing the next stop off the shelf? ORION increases the possibility and likeliness of heat related health issues including heat exhaustion, heat stroke and, unfortunately, unnecessary heat related deaths.

UPS has the ability and technology to return to EDD at any time. Drivers would spend less time in the oppressive heat of the cargo area. Loads would be stop for stop. Slide up the next section and the next stop will be in close proximity to the bulk head door.
capitalists look at maximizing short term profits.

power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely. this is our economic system. but it doesnt have to be this way.

34yearpackagehumper

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U This may be the most profound and foretelling statement you've ever made:
"They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology."

Think of a year from now. All this technology, both on the preload side and on the delivery side, has been implemented at tremendous cost so that anyone, even someone fat, stupid, and old like myself, can effectively get a package from point A to point B. Nothing more. I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong, but IMHO the Teamsters' contract next year will be a turning point in UPS' history moving forward, even more so than the '97 strike.
Ah ! The 97 strike, a 2 week unpaid vacation but well worth it. Aug 1st 1997 will live on in our minds forever. We had a few drivers cross picket lines and we never forgot them . Fat center manager's and OCS trying to run routes Man it was hilarious .

browned out

You do realize you took a job where you work outside right? Hot, Cold, Rain, Snow, Storms...
Orion has nothing to do what happens in the back of the truck..PAL label does not change...its a pre-load issue.
????

How far up the corporate ladder are you? You are definitely detached from reality on the "ORION has nothing to what happens in the back of the truck"

UPS finally put fans in package cars and it helps immensely.

UPS uses nonsense as the reason for not protecting its workers with air conditioning.

UPS states: The company does not air-condition its fleet of package trucks, Gaut added, because frequent stops and the size of the vehicles would render air conditioning "ineffective."

Ineffective. POPPYCOCK

Just don't lie about it. How about: We don't have ac because we don't care about workers; we care about $$$$$

AC would help drastically.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You think the package cars are hot? Try unload/loading trailers, you have no option to step out, and get some air.

Stuck in a metal can that heats up to 100+ degrees while you need to work at a good pace which increases your body temp further. A heat stroke oven.
You're preaching to the choir ,, you do know that most of us been there done that