Package Car Drivers' Heat Exhaustion, Heat Stroke and Heat Related Deaths should be a top safety priority.

Does ORION or EDD require more time in the cargo area?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ORION

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • EDD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ORION

• EDD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ACG12

Lol, previous generations would laugh at this generation. How did they survive? No a/c, nobody worrying about a little heat?

It’s hotter, stops have gone up and preload is trash so we’re spending more time in the back looking for a package that may or may not even be there.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It’s hotter, stops have gone up and preload is trash so we’re spending more time in the back looking for a package that may or may not even be there.
Not hotter. People lived without a/c, even in the south. Drivers wore long pants and had to sort the back all day long. Drivers actually did more walking as they had to indirect every stop if not in.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Lol, previous generations would laugh at this generation. How did they survive? No a/c, nobody worrying about a little heat?
You are probably correct previous generations probably would laugh. Seems like some in this generation are laughing as well.

IMO So much more is known about workplace safety in regards to heat related illness in this generation.

IMO For the sake of the rights of all employees, I believe every employee should follow the heat related training as presented by OSHA, to the letter.

If each employee did this I believe companies would take seriously this issue.

I believe if every UPS “work as directed” and followed the heat related illness training UPS requires “to the letter” then it would only be a matter of time before all UPS vehicles and facilities would be complete climate controlled.

I believe if all UPS employees unite and follow the training, a climate controlled work environment would eventually, no longer simply be limited to management spaces but would be provided to those doing the most strenuous work for the company.

RUDoneYet

It's a sad day at this place. They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology.
Almost all the supervisors we have now for 30 day wonders and they have no actual delivery experience.
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U This may be the most profound and foretelling statement you've ever made:
"They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology."

Think of a year from now. All this technology, both on the preload side and on the delivery side, has been implemented at tremendous cost so that anyone, even someone fat, stupid, and old like myself, can effectively get a package from point A to point B. Nothing more. I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong, but IMHO the Teamsters' contract next year will be a turning point in UPS' history moving forward, even more so than the '97 strike.

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U This may be the most profound and foretelling statement you've ever made:
"They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology."

Think of a year from now. All this technology, both on the preload side and on the delivery side, has been implemented at tremendous cost so that anyone, even someone fat, stupid, and old like myself, can effectively get a package from point A to point B. Nothing more. I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong, but IMHO the Teamsters' contract next year will be a turning point in UPS' history moving forward, even more so than the '97 strike.
Nobody knows anything, nobody cares.
Nobody's willing to fix the problems.
I guess we all work in Clarksville

Whither

Scofflaw
It's a sad day at this place. They're trying to take all the thinking out of this job and have you rely on technology.
Almost all the supervisors we have now for 30 day wonders and they have no actual delivery experience.
Among the joys of following ORION on your own bid route: every wild trace break you take to make service, all the extra miles you drive even when you don't break trace once (ORION has never met a resi back it didn't like to save those miles LMAO), all the (*GASP!*) "overallowed" you pile on ... it all goes to show Atlanta's grand plans went badly awry :lol:

AccidentProne

We are at the beginning of the most dangerous time of the year for package car drivers regarding heat related health and safety issues.

Does ORION take safety and the exposure to unnecessary excess heat into account re: the time spent in the back of a package car searching for a package that is not next in the selection area (i.e. 1000 2000 3000 4000 sections)? Why are we searching for a 1lb amazon envelope in the middle of a bulked out package car in the sweltering heat instead of just grabbing the next stop off the shelf? ORION increases the possibility and likeliness of heat related health issues including heat exhaustion, heat stroke and, unfortunately, unnecessary heat related deaths.

UPS has the ability and technology to return to EDD at any time. Drivers would spend less time in the oppressive heat of the cargo area. Loads would be stop for stop. Slide up the next section and the next stop will be in close proximity to the bulk head door.

Many drivers are intimidated by UPS management. 22.4s and lower seniority RPCD's may believe that they must work as directed regardless of the risk to their health and the safety of the public. It is unfortunate but some drivers are afraid to make the proper, common sense safety decisions on their own due to retaliation from UPS management.

Easy fix. Inform Drivers that they do not have to follow ORION. Easier fix: GO BACK TO EDD. Come on UPS. UPS has the technology to prevent drivers from suffering from heat exhaustion, heat stroke, other heat related illnesses and heat related deaths. EASY PZ
You think the package cars are hot? Try unload/loading trailers, you have no option to step out, and get some air.

Stuck in a metal can that heats up to 100+ degrees while you need to work at a good pace which increases your body temp further. A heat stroke oven.

Nah
you have no option to step out, and get some air.
Yes you do.

Jesus Christ people. The company has you people afraid of your own shadows.

If you need to take a break due to the onset of heat illness or heat stroke, do it. If you need to leave to refill your water, do it. They can't do :censored2:. Sure they'll threaten you that they can, but they can't. Between article 18 of the contract and OSHA regulations, you've got plenty of options for dealing with their games. Hell, call your local news station even. UPS loves that one.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes you do.

Jesus Christ people. The company has you people afraid of your own shadows.

If you need to take a break due to the onset of heat illness or heat stroke, do it. If you need to leave to refill your water, do it. They can't do :censored2:. Sure they'll threaten you that they can, but they can't. Between article 18 of the contract and OSHA regulations, you've got plenty of options for dealing with their games. Hell, call your local news station even. UPS loves that one.
Absolutely!! Great post

Wally

You think the package cars are hot? Try unload/loading trailers, you have no option to step out, and get some air.

Stuck in a metal can that heats up to 100+ degrees while you need to work at a good pace which increases your body temp further. A heat stroke oven.
Drink water wimp. Keep working.

Waaah, it's hot, waaah...

Last edited:

Wally

JowEja4eB9Ga.gif