Package DOT Hours of Service

WTFm8

Since I’m a 11mo package cover, we’re losing daylight again, and I have no 9.5 protection I want to clarify some DOT rules/possible violations.

11hrs driving in a 14hr shift (including breaks), 60hrs total per week correct?

Does the 11hrs driving include break time or is that where the other 3hrs come in (break, AM/PM time, etc).

I’m constantly covering a route that management say should be capped around 150 stops. It’s constantly (7months) being dispatched with 170-180 deliveries and 15-18 pickups having the last delivery as 19:20-19:45 range (quite hilarious as 1 air truck pulls from our building at 20:02).

Frequently have to drive air/international 10-15 minutes back to the building to drop then head back out to continue delivering remainin 15-35 stops depending on how traffic and how bad the load was.
______

Examples:

198 stops with pickups, 8:45 start, 8:55 on road, 20:30 return. Assist unload till 21:30.

12.25hrs on clock. 11.08hrs driving not including 30 min lunch. 11.58hrs including lunch. (20 min and 13 miles over dispatch according to sheet posted next day).
______

186 stops with pickups, 8:45 start, 9:20 on road because preload wasn’t done. 20:55 return, assist unload till 21:55.

13.17hrs on clock. 11.09hrs driving not including lunch. 11.59hrs including lunch.

Only took a 30 min lunch and 10 min paid break both days as the driver sheet shows the route as only having 30 min alloted for lunch even tho contract says 1hr unless mutually agreed BUT may be told to work full/partial lunch to result in OT not to be dismissed prior to normal end time.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you're in package the 11 hour drive time doesn't apply to you, all you need to worry about is the 14 hours on duty rule, the 10 hours off between shifts rule, and the 60hour/7day rule.

WTFm8

If you're in package the 11 hour drive time doesn't apply to you, all you need to worry about is the 14 hours on duty rule, the 10 hours off between shifts rule, and the 60hour/7day rule.

I am package. Why doesn’t it apply? Nobody seems to know why and many are frustrated because of the labor intensive job vs most semi/feeder/other DOT regulated jobs.

Can’t wait for 220-240 stop splits again this peak.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I am package. Why doesn’t it apply? Nobody seems to know why and many are beginning to get frustrated because of the labor intensive job vs feeder.
It doesn't apply because you don't keep a log of your actual drive time, feeder drivers are required to do so.

PrimeUPS

I am package. Why doesn’t it apply? Nobody seems to know why and many are frustrated because of the labor intensive job vs most semi/feeder/other DOT regulated jobs.
Since I’m a 11mo package cover, we’re losing daylight again, and I have no 9.5 protection I want to clarify some DOT rules/possible violations.

Does the 11hrs driving include break time or is that where the other 3hrs come in (break, AM/PM time, etc).

I’m constantly covering a route that management say should be capped around 150 stops. It’s constantly (7months) being dispatched with 170-180 deliveries and 15-18 pickups having the last delivery as 19:20-19:45 range (quite hilarious as 1 air truck pulls from our building at 20:02).

Frequently have to drive air/international 10-15 minutes back to the building to drop then head back out to continue delivering remainin 15-35 stops depending on how traffic and how bad the load was.
______

Examples:

198 stops with pickups, 8:45 start, 8:55 on road, 20:30 return. Assist unload till 21:30.

12.25hrs on clock. 11.08hrs driving not including 30 min lunch. 11.58hrs including lunch. (20 min and 13 miles over dispatch according to sheet posted next day).
______

186 stops with pickups, 8:45 start, 9:20 on road because preload wasn’t done. 20:55 return, assist unload till 21:55.

13.17hrs on clock. 11.09hrs driving not including lunch. 11.59hrs including lunch.

Only took a 30 min lunch and 10 min paid break both days as the driver sheet shows the route as only having 30 min alloted for lunch even tho contract says 1hr unless mutually agreed BUT may be told to work full/partial lunch to result in OT not to be dismissed prior to normal end time.

A. Not a violation, not even close. If you were even an hour close, most center management I've known would be all over you. There's no way they'd let you unload for an hour at the end of the day, never mind go back out. How did you manage to hang out in the hub for an hour anyway?? Catch some PT Sup working??

B. It doesn't apply because it's not an active rule for non-CDL drivers. It may be frustrating, but it's not the law. Why is this important now? I'd rather have some sort of protection in the summer, in the heat. That PC is one hot oven, even this time of year.

C. Your break isn't included in your drive time, take that out. That's why it's called a break.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

It is a muddy mess but basically:
You do not keep a log book, and are not required to do so.
It has been mutually agreed upon, between DOT and UPS, that the nature of this job involves far more than driving and therefore nobody will reach 11 hours of strict driving. (except maybe on your gravy country route)

Honestly the DOT rules get worse the more you look into them.
11 hours driving NOPE we drive and deliver for 14
60 hours per week NOPE 70 hours per 8 days
sure, 70 in 8 NOPE 70 in 8 but resets after 34 hours on the weekends.

trickpony1

If you have to have 10 hours off between shifts then wouldn't it stand to reason that your 14 hours is "punch in to punch out"...which would include lunch/breaks?

Brisket

Um ever consider air meets? Put the ball in your sup’s Hands and let them know you have air so you are not driving back to the building.

WTFm8

Um ever consider air meets? Put the ball in your sup’s Hands and let them know you have air so you are not driving back to the building.

Yea, but they take 15 minutes to find a driver then it could be 15-30 minutes till they even show up in the area including my down time calling to setup that meet address. Obviously keep delivering till they’re in area but there’s a lot of time wasted.

KOG72

I’m full of it
57F79385-C196-413C-BE77-21A120B4FB9D.gif

WTFm8

. How did you manage to hang out in the hub for an hour anyway?? Catch some PT Sup working??

Yup. Every single day for the 11 months I’ve been there. Use to have 3 PT sups, all would work. 1 unloading 3-4hrs, 1 sorting/loading, 1 floating helping unload/pull air/sort/load.

2 quit. 1 went back to school, other saw no future

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Google "150 mile air radius exception" and it will all be explained. You can actually drive up to 16 hours for two consecutive days so the hours you are working isn't even close to violating DOT rules.

As mentioned above you really just need to make sure you have 10 hours between shifts and stay under your allowed hours.

Brisket

Yea, but they take 15 minutes to find a driver then it could be 15-30 minutes till they even show up in the area including my down time calling to setup that meet address. Obviously keep delivering till they’re in area but there’s a lot of time wasted.

Sounds like you are trying your best to make the best of a bad situation.

Down time? Have them come to you wherever you may be.

Good luck.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Google "150 mile air radius exception" and it will all be explained. You can actually drive up to 16 hours for two consecutive days so the hours you are working isn't even close to violating DOT rules.

As mentioned above you really just need to make sure you have 10 hours between shifts and stay under your allowed hours.
Never work more then 14hrs. 16hs is for emergency conditions that were unforeseeable at the time you left. Not a bad dispatch. At 13.5 start driving back to the building and sheet the rest as missed. If you are working over 14 it is very likely they are falsifying your timecard and you are only being paid for 14

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Never work more then 14hrs. 16hs is for emergency conditions that were unforeseeable at the time you left. Not a bad dispatch. At 13.5 start driving back to the building and sheet the rest as missed. If you are working over 14 it is very likely they are falsifying your timecard and you are only being paid for 14

When I was in package they wanted is to stay under 13. I think it was so they never had to worry about anyone going over 60 hours for the week.

For the most part UPS treats non-CDL drivers just like CDL drivers. I was simply saying under DOT rules they could do more hours per day and not violate. I was no telling the OP to work more hours or go over 14 hours per day.

EasyTrucker

______

Examples:

______

The 11hrs of driving rule applies to everyone with a DOT card. It applies to Package Car Drivers, but it only counts against the time you are actually driving not working. A package car driver will never get 11 hrs of driving due to all that pesky delivering of packages you have to do. I’m a Feeder Driver and only the time I’m driving counts toward my 11, if I’m making a pickup, hooking up, or shifting in the yard, it does not count against my 11hrs of drive time. Hope this helps.