Package Hide & Seek?

buttere

Yeah, it seems like I can never find a waiting customer's package either.
I love it when I set my diad down somewhere inside the truck to look for a package I can't find, then end up having to look for my diad too bacause I forgot where I put it!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Yeah, it seems like I can never find a waiting customer's package either.
I love it when I set my diad down somewhere inside the truck to look for a package I can't find, then end up having to look for my diad too bacause I forgot where I put it!

LOL - Crap, I thought I was the only one!

MD Dan

Do what I do since the sort time has been removed from the Planned Day--- I Don't sort. It really slows thing down, though

RozUPS

This is what I have learned so far in my short driving career at UPS.

1 get in early and go through your load before the car is too full to get in it. I paid dearly one day I came in and most of the load was heaved in randomly with tons on the slide that would not fit. You have to meet up later with an air driver wasting more time.
After I get done commercial in the am and start residential I pull out packages for each group of streets from the shelves and arrange them in the "selection area" in order of stops.. I will look for a short period of time for a package i can't find but if i can't find it in a reasonable amount of time I move on. I usually will find it when pulling the next street. I have found that if you keep moving it helps with the frustration of spending alot of time looking for packages. Alot of times they are right under your nose.
If I'm still in the same area I will swing back and deliver it or later when I'm doing p/u's

Any suggestions from the seasoned guys?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Upstate, it's not just that and you know it.

Roz, Upstate is right about union members having a field day. They will file grievances because they are not getting paid to start early. But more importatntly, if you get hurt while in your truck before start time the company could easily (and rightfully) deny any claims because you weren't on the clock. It isn't worth the risk. Save yourself alot of hassles and headaches and stay out of your truck (except to stow your stuff) until after start time.

If the truck is in that much of a mess then mgt needs to address the problem with your preloader or with dispatch. You aren't helping anything by circumventing the issue with sorting before start time.

kingOFchester

Not sure about the rest of you, but in my building almost ALL the drivers are in their trucks before start time. Not just to stash their lunches and such, but to organize and set up for the day. I am one that is always early to EVERYTHING (one of the reasons why I have a hard time staying on route when it is 10am and I still have Air's to get off) but as I said I am always early and i can't just stand around knowing that i could be getting my truck set up to make my day easier. Right or wrong, I can't help it....at this stage in my career anyway.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
When I first started at UPS, I was kind of intimidated by the thought of having to put the stops in stop orderand learning sequence numbers. With FedEx, we were told to put P1 (before 10:30) on one side and P2 (after 10:30) on the other side. It didnt have to be in order, as we had to scan every package and put it in order. We were given 20 to 30 mins to do this. All our letters and paks came down in totes, which werent in order either. My drivers have asked me to put the business stops in order and keep resi stops together by neighborhoods. I take pride in my loads and know that if my loads are "poopy", the drivers day will be "poopy". Reading / listening to all the PAS talk, Im looking forward to as a preloader, but not as a driver.

newguy1

im new and all but i have to be in my truck every morning setting up at least my airs, if not i WILL have late airs and thats a big no no.....not because i dont know what im doing in the morning before 10.30 its because i have usually 30 NDA stops, 60 pcs and they arent close to my hub....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sounds to me like a lot of you are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Have to hurry and find the pkg. Can't waste time. Must not be displeasing to my supe, is what I keep hearing in this thread. If you all are actually running around doing your "job/career" that way I feel sorry for you. You can only do what you can do, the rest is out of your control. So why try controlling things that you're unable to.

I recommend that you don't even approach your car till start time. When you start, load whatever is not loaded as best you can. Pretrip, sort your air and leave the building. After you have run your air and whatever bulk stops you can deliver, stop and sort your first 2 shelves. Deliver these and then do the next 2. Life is too short to be handled as though we're teetering on the brink of oblivion.

I'm not saying that your cars aren't crammed to the hilt. I'm just saying that maybe if you look at it with a different mindset, it wouldn't seem so bad. Besides, we get paid by the hour, so use all the hours you need to get the job done. If your supe gets hot about your time, explain your situation. Remember, your job as a driver is to get it all delivered, no matter how it's loaded. There's no rule to how long that should take.

Tim, you're avatar sure is hot.

RozUPS

I hear you regarding start time. My truck is usually loaded well but I had a few days a week or two ago that it was toatally friend'd up and it was hell all day long. I have a main street like shopping area that I do first that have 30 -40 pieces a stop and part of it was burried up front , in the middle of the truck and on the slide. Since then I'm paranoid about what i'll find in the am so I come in early just in case. My main goal is to get done before dark. I can do it with a good load but I know what is harder to do in the dark so I get that done while it's light out..Like I said I'm new and I'll learn over time. Like KoC said most drivers are in early in our building. usually b4 730 am.

Lobofan5

When I first started at UPS, I was kind of intimidated by the thought of having to put the stops in stop orderand learning sequence numbers. With FedEx, we were told to put P1 (before 10:30) on one side and P2 (after 10:30) on the other side. It didnt have to be in order, as we had to scan every package and put it in order. We were given 20 to 30 mins to do this. All our letters and paks came down in totes, which werent in order either. My drivers have asked me to put the business stops in order and keep resi stops together by neighborhoods. I take pride in my loads and know that if my loads are "poopy", the drivers day will be "poopy". Reading / listening to all the PAS talk, Im looking forward to as a preloader, but not as a driver.

Tim..where did you find a picture of me delivering for your avatar?:happy2:

kingOFchester

Sounds to me like a lot of you are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Have to hurry and find the pkg. Can't waste time. Must not be displeasing to my supe, is what I keep hearing in this thread. If you all are actually running around doing your "job/career" that way I feel sorry for you. You can only do what you can do, the rest is out of your control. So why try controlling things that you're unable to.

I recommend that you don't even approach your car till start time. When you start, load whatever is not loaded as best you can. Pretrip, sort your air and leave the building. After you have run your air and whatever bulk stops you can deliver, stop and sort your first 2 shelves. Deliver these and then do the next 2. Life is too short to be handled as though we're teetering on the brink of oblivion.

I'm not saying that your cars aren't crammed to the hilt. I'm just saying that maybe if you look at it with a different mindset, it wouldn't seem so bad. Besides, we get paid by the hour, so use all the hours you need to get the job done. If your supe gets hot about your time, explain your situation. Remember, your job as a driver is to get it all delivered, no matter how it's loaded. There's no rule to how long that should take.

Steve, I learned many years ago that not everything is just Black and White. Or I should say, not everything that should be equal, is equal. I have not made seniority. I know that their is a contract that the union and UPS should follow. I also believe that at the very least (VERY LEAST) that thier is some wiggle room. You have a group of seasonal drivers. Some from preload, some from twilight some from one center some from another center. If there is any chance that one may be passed over do to another driver who really gives 200%, then I am willing to do that. I have not made seniority. I am trying to make a name for myself. If I risk getting hurt while working off the clock so be it. I know I will get slammed by the "union" for this, but it is just the facts as I see them where I work. Besides, I always give 100% with everything I do.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
My wife saw my avatar last week and erased it, or so I thought.:dissapointed: She asked me not to put it back on. She said it was disrespectful to her. :happy2:Lobofan, if this is you, you have alot of new people interested in meeting you!

Big Babooba

My gripe is with EDD. I have a bulk stop that is supposed to be loaded RDR. EDD keeps loading it in the 1000 section. The problem has been "fixed" a few times only to have EDD change it after a few days. The regular loaders know about it, but now I have a casual and he just follows the PAL. Thursday I had a 17 piece bulk stop in my 1000 section and 4 monster boxes took up the 5000 section. Anything else for those sections was loaded wherever they would fit, which was all over the truck. After I delivered the 2 offending stops which were 10 miles apart, I was able to partially set up the truck. Basically I drove 20 miles to get to my 3rd stop. EDD tells you where the packages are supposed to be, but not where they actually are. I'd ask the packages where they are, but they'd never answer me!:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Article 17

Paid for Time
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer.
Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time
that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively
released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving
federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the
Employer.

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

You want to work for free, while the preloaders are having you steal money out of their pockets. Management counts on you working for free but yet you all fail to see that. I only hope that the people that get laid off if there are layoffs are the ones that like to work for free and work through their lunch, this way i wont feel so bad.​

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In our center if some one gets caught on the truck sorting before start time they are told to get off or get a warning letter. Our mgt is tired of getting grievances for seniority violations.

You don't work before start time. There is no gray area in the contract.