Package re weighed?

over9five

Staff member
I don't think we RTS any overweights anymore- UPS just tacks on extra charges.

Yup. Once it's my understanding that once it's accepted into our system, we gotta deliver it.

Can you imagine that 1700 lb item on the backdrop of your package car?!?!?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup. Once it's my understanding that once it's accepted into our system, we gotta deliver it.

I guess they would rather risk just one potential injury as opposed to how many who would have to handle that pkg on its way back home. Oh, wait, they are making extra money on this--what the hell was I thinking!

over9five

Staff member
I guess they would rather risk just one potential injury as opposed to how many who would have to handle that pkg on its way back home. Oh, wait, they are making extra money on this--what the hell was I thinking!

I agree with this method. Adjust the charge for the 200 lb package and throw in an additional penalty charge too. Maybe the penalty charge should be BIG so they don't do it all the time!
Hopefully the delivering driver is wise enough to insist on Teamster help.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I got a On Demand Ground last year, so I drive to the house to pick it up. Its a car engine, probably an easy 500+ lbs. The customer offers "to help me pick it up and put it on the rear of my truck". I refused it and gave him the number to UPS Freight.

yeldarb

I dont think that once something is accepted into our system, we are obligated. What about all the CPU accounts we pick up in trailers, which we have no idea what is in the trailer until it is unloaded? I have seen things get unloaded in our center which are oversized/overweight, and we wont even deliver it back to them. Our center will often make them come and pick it up at the hub.

I agree with this method. Adjust the charge for the 200 lb package and throw in an additional penalty charge too. Maybe the penalty charge should be BIG so they don't do it all the time!
Hopefully the delivering driver is wise enough to insist on Teamster help.

Anything over 150lbs. is charged a flat $50 on top of the weight adjustment.

I'm an auditor.

They don't have to deliver them, but they like to make that $50 charge, so most of the time they process them.

And there have been customers that always shipped over 150lbs. (ie: Bush Furniture) but UPS never did anything because they didn't want to lose the account.

thebrownbox

Unless, of course, it says "Pottery Barn" on the side, then we ship VW sized containers......
The mall here has a pottery barn which has been slowing down so they got rid of the 2nd 24 footer.. so now I have to stick the Pottery barn boxes in a p1000..

it's a tight fit getting in with the rear door and highest weight was 150lb I've seen.