package 'tendered to local Post Office"

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
One reason I dont like Basic is because it makes the post office look better. We put it in their hands and they carry it 2 miles or less to the customer.Ive had several customers comment on how much better the postal service is nowadays.They dont realize that UPS got it there quicker with the 1 day delay than if it had been in the postal system the whole time.

worldwide

One reason I dont like Basic is because it makes the post office look better. We put it in their hands and they carry it 2 miles or less to the customer.Ive had several customers comment on how much better the postal service is nowadays.They dont realize that UPS got it there quicker with the 1 day delay than if it had been in the postal system the whole time.

So, Basic service is responsible for making the USPS better? Odd, since Basic actually slows down the delivery by a day or two versus regular grond service. Customers choose Basic becuase it is a stripped down version of ground service: less expensive but no claims, no on-time guarantee and slightly slower. These packages would either be with Fedex or USPS if they were not in the UPS system as Basic. Whose package car do you want them to be in?

Toshiro Hitsugaya

We have been doing this for a while now, and it is not just JCP it is with other companies as well. Heck Fedex also does it, while it can be annoyying at times as somebody else said it is contract work that we are doing. There was a point before when DHL converted to their new package scheme were we was doing pick-ups for them.

In my hub we have several local customers who use the UPS/USPS method.

What this UPS/USPS or FedEx/USPS basically boils down to is this: We are exactly speeding up transit time slightly for some shippers due to them being to far out of the way in order for them to make guarenteed 3-5 day delivery time. So what happens is we pick up the package and fly it or in some cases 3D it to the nearest hub that is close to the customer's zip-code. We do our thing sort, process, load, and deliver it to the local PO where they take over from there.

UPS calls it Mail Innovations and they market it heavily to the PO here as well as Postal Companies overseas.

Like i said before, we do it, FedEx does it and DHL does it (That is DHL only role here in the US now doing overnights)

worldwide

From my understanding they are now all rolled into one, but you know how a lot of misinformation goes on so I believe you maybe right.

Your understading is incorrect. No misinformation out there--the info is on ups.com on what Mail Innovations does.

Mail Innovations is designed for packages weighing 15.99 ounces or less. It is sorted at UPS Mail Innovations facilities and delivered by the USPS. Basic is for lighter weight packages OVER 1-lb and is picked up by a UPS driver, sorted by UPSers and delivered by a UPS driver.

Mail Innovations - http://www.upsmailinnovations.com/about/we_move_mail.html

bff426

I ordered something from the JCPenney online site on Sunday. It's supposed to be processed the next business day and shipped out that day. I received an e-mail notification that it had shipped on Monday (of course it wasn't actually shipped that day,). No tracking information was available until Wednesday,when, early in the morning, I saw that it landed at the UPS facility that delivers me. I expected it to land at my door(BTW, I live 40 miles from their distribution warehouse in Manchester, Connecticut). Instead, I saw the delivered to the local post office message on the UPS website. I assumed it would be delivered by the post office the next day.

Instead, on Thursday I had a note that I had to pick up the package at the local post office. So I had to go there on Friday to pick it up. 40 miles from the distribution center, $15 for shipping for a 7 pound package, and I had to drive to the local post office to end up picking it up five days after it was shipped. 40 miles in five days. Bring back the pony express. As was mentioned above, perceptions, perceptions.

PASinterference

So, Basic service is responsible for making the USPS better? Odd, since Basic actually slows down the delivery by a day or two versus regular grond service. Customers choose Basic becuase it is a stripped down version of ground service: less expensive but no claims, no on-time guarantee and slightly slower. These packages would either be with Fedex or USPS if they were not in the UPS system as Basic. Whose package car do you want them to be in?

PASinterference

I didnt say basic makes the usps better.I know basic slows down the del time by 1 day but thats a helluva lot faster than if it had been in the usps system the whole trip.

robert1956

Here's the problem...
Our Post Office Carrier (lazy) will not get out of their truck and deliver my package. They just drop a pink slip in the mailbox and tell me to go to the post office many miles away to pick it up. Our Post office is always extremely busy with a small staff and you can stand in line for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to pick it up.
Tell me how that is good for business or the customer?

BTW.. We get deliveries from our UPS driver 2-3 times per week anyway. Why pass any off to the post office?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's the problem...
Our Post Office Carrier (lazy) will not get out of their truck and deliver my package. They just drop a pink slip in the mailbox and tell me to go to the post office many miles away to pick it up. Our Post office is always extremely busy with a small staff and you can stand in line for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to pick it up.

BTW.. We get deliveries from our UPS driver 2-3 times per week anyway. Why pass any off to the post office?

You need to pick up the phone to call the Post Office and complain about the rural carrier.

You also need to understand that this is volume that we did not have before so while we are not delivering the last leg we are transporting all the way from the warehouse to the Post Office.

BTW, they don't like it any more than we do.

over9five

Staff member
Here's the problem...

I think that whenever you have to go pick up your package at the PO, you should call/email the shipper and complain. The shipper should be made aware that their cheap shipping method is causing you problems. Also in the email tell them how much you love UPS's regular service.

robert1956

I think that whenever you have to go pick up your package at the PO, you should call/email the shipper and complain. The shipper should be made aware that their cheap shipping method is causing you problems. Also in the email tell them how much you love UPS's regular service.

Thanks for the reply. I already e-mailed the shipper about it.