Packing tape

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Soo does this happen to u because your terminal doesn't supply the workers wif packing tape???

I usually have 3 on my package car: on each side door & at the rear cargo doors

SmithBarney

I do like the self cleaning driveway... But while we do carry tape if you can bribe a CSA to give some to you, if the box isn't horrible, it's not worth it.

Oldfart

More times than not, shipper didn't properly tape the box. If I pu a box and I don't like the way it is taped, I will tell the shipper it isn't properly packaged and will either have him fix it or I leave it. If the shipper doesn't care, why should I? Don't leave it to us to fix the shippers laziness.

OrioN

Where's yo purple promise?

Since I'm the only FedEx HD driver in my area, I don't want their stuff falling out of the box, even though it sometimes the shipper's fault for not properly packing the box

images.jpg

That's a bit extreme... I had one of those a month back, but a customer told me it was a star wars millennial falcon replica that costs $1500

Oldfart

Since I'm the only FedEx HD driver in my area, I don't want their stuff falling out of the box, even though it sometimes the shipper's fault for not properly packing the box

View attachment 146664

That's a bit extreme... I had one of those a month back, but a customer told me it was a star wars millennial falcon replica that costs $1500
I promise to deliver the packages on time and to treat the package with as much care as possible. I never promised to repack their boxes while their clerk that gets paid to do it neglects his job.

OrioN

Meh, ground ops is a bit different.

Management has to push the warehouse workers to finish within a time frame to make their bonus pay.

With HD, I preload my cargo so I'm the last line of defense and Will be ultimately blamed for if I let an open box get to someone's house

No accordian boxes are gonna be loaded in my truck!

And express/airmail drivers do the same preload process, loading your own vans before driving out into the sunset, right?

MAKAVELI

View attachment 146664

$1500 Falcon Replica and he chooses cheap ass ground shipping? LMAO!

BootsOnTarmac

In the past I have helped out the local station for the morning sort. Poorly taped packages were sent on down the belt for rewrap and then brought back to the courier at the truck. Some couriers would just pull the package, fix it, tape it and put it in the truck to save time.
Good couriers like you OrioN will do the right thing to avoid Customer issues and just call it a day. Remember the Amazon tape jobs? Looks like Amazon is doing a better job these days. The goal here is to make sure all of the contents stay inside the box, how well it was packaged is the shippers problem, not ours.

OrioN

$1500 Falcon Replica and he chooses cheap ass ground shipping? LMAO!
giphy.gif

Yep, the shipper added DSR

but still was risky, since I heard some ground or HD drivers will falsify a customer's signature just to get rid of a possible send again.

OrioN

In the past I have helped out the local station for the morning sort. Poorly taped packages were sent on down the belt for rewrap and then brought back to the courier at the truck. Some couriers would just pull the package, fix it, tape it and put it in the truck to save time.
Good couriers like you OrioN will do the right thing to avoid Customer issues and just call it a day. Remember the Amazon tape jobs? Looks like Amazon is doing a better job these days. The goal here is to make sure all of the contents stay inside the box, how well it was packaged is the shippers problem, not ours.

Wal-Mart still learning, but I seen them trying to isolate the liquids (motor oil and detergent bottles) in a bag before packing them with other miscellaneous items in the same box.

Chewy, on the other hand, still have to learn to put tape perpendicular to the seams to contain the 50 lb bag of pet food or kitty litter that may spill out during the conveyor belt transfer

Jet is a lost cause... paper tape and frozen perishables don't mix, spring for extra plastic tape, yo!

CJinx

God, Walmart/Jet and Chewy... lol

Chewy's biggest problem is they insist on utilizing boxes that don't have the proper height to contain boxes/jugs of kitty litter. They place a box of litter on it's side in the shipping carton and then subject it to Ground package handlers and high speed conveyor belts. It comes as no surprise that the perforations on the the boxes burst and then you have a box with kitty litter spewing out the edges. I think most of their problems would cease if they used properly sized cartons to contain their stuff.

As for Walmart and Jet; they should send liquids and fragile items separately, and limit 2 jugs of laundry detergent per box. Multiple jugs of laundry detergent bouncing around in a box just do wonders to things like bags of potato chips or glass jars of tomato sauce, etc.

Oldfart

I delivered an Amazon box the other day. It had a car starter in it. The starter might weigh 12 to 14 lbs and would fit in a shoe box. The box Amazon used was the size of a mid size microwave and had no packing material. The starter box slammed around in the oversized box and finally busted thru coming down the station belt. How can the worlds largest shipper not have any better idea how to package its products?

Star B

White Lightening
In the past I have helped out the local station for the morning sort. Poorly taped packages were sent on down the belt for rewrap and then brought back to the courier at the truck.
lol rewrap. you say those words and the AM managers hiss, puke pea soup and go "MY LABOR!!! MY BONUS!!!!!!!"

rod

Retired 22 years
Soo does this happen to u because your terminal doesn't supply the workers wif packing tape???

I usually have 3 on my package car: on each side door & at the rear cargo doors

First of all I would have backed into that long driveway then I would have thrown a couple of piece of tape on that bitch.

OrioN

First of all I would have backed into that long driveway then I would have thrown a couple of piece of tape on that bitch.

Wait a gosh darn tootin' minute...

A brownie driver would do a back first exception ?!?

Did youse c those kids toys all over the front yard???

I will accept an eggplant driver to do that, but not a teamster-driven brownie driver to not follow the rules