Part Time Late Shift RIF

OomChuckaWilly

I have a question my shop steward can’t seem to answer. I work local sort, and often towards the end of the night, supervision starts cutting people. Normally we’ve just done it top down seniority on people leaving, and lower people fill in those spots. However, we have a new guy running the sort and he wants to separate the building into “work stations,” and will let people in a different work station with lower seniority go home before someone with more seniority in a different work station.

Is there any actual rule in the union book that shows what is supposed to happen towards the end of a shift when the work starts dying down? Workers and management are butting heads constantly.

OomChuckaWilly

It varies from person to person, Id just like an answer I can give to everyone since our steward is useless. Normally we have already hit our guarantee, so really it’s just a matter of getting out 10-20 minutes faster.

542thruNthru

I have a question my shop steward can’t seem to answer. I work local sort, and often towards the end of the night, supervision starts cutting people. Normally we’ve just done it top down seniority on people leaving, and lower people fill in those spots. However, we have a new guy running the sort and he wants to separate the building into “work stations,” and will let people in a different work station with lower seniority go home before someone with more seniority in a different work station.

Is there any actual rule in the union book that shows what is supposed to happen towards the end of a shift when the work starts dying down? Workers and management are butting heads constantly.
It varies from person to person, Id just like an answer I can give to everyone since our steward is useless. Normally we have already hit our guarantee, so really it’s just a matter of getting out 10-20 minutes faster.

Here are the contracts. Go ahead and show your "useless" shop steward how its done.

Yolo

Try not to worry about 10-20 minutes. Or tell the sup you would like to be first to go home. He doesn't have to honor it but he might.

D

Deleted member 77202

Employees with the lowest seniority always leave first.

Nah
How many times is this fallacy going to be repeated?

As long as the statement remains true. I've worked in two UPS buildings, in two different local unions covered by the central supplement, and it is the same thing in both locations: neither BA will fight to allow higher seniority the right to go home first.

Package Stick

"Send it."
In our Hub no one goes home till the work is done lmao.

If you're done with your work, you can leave.

Had a full-timer ask if they can leave right at 8 hours, uhhhhh nope. Work ain't done.

Method Mensch

I think it's ask from the top, force from the bottom. That's assuming that everyone that wants their guaranteed hours gets them.

RolloTony Brown Town

In many circumstances, Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to go home first. This may vary based on the job you’re performing and your local language and past practices.

when I was in the hub seniority entitled you to work, but you couldn’t go home earlier based on seniority.

In feeders, the inside shifters and drivers can utilize seniority to go home first.

Yolo

most certainly it is..

Day after Thanksgiving is (was) a prime example. Who got the day off first?

This thread isn't about the day after Thanksgiving. Its about a normal scheduled work day. Management doesn't have to send employees home in seniority order. Everyone is guaranteed 3.5 hours.