Part time poverty

brown_trousers

You realize that ups would most likely offer a signing bonus and a raise to current full timers to vote in a lower top rate for you guys.
"you guys"? who are you talking about? I went FT ground years ago, and hit top rate a couple years ago as well. Im just not so selfish to think that a new contract should only benefit me and my situation only.

wilberforce15

You'd swear these part timers think they should qualify for a mortgage on 3 1/2 hours a day !!!!

When did you start?

And I don't need a mortgage. I paid my house off a while ago, because I haven't spent a single dime of any money I've ever earned at UPS in 12 years.

The point is that you got an awful lot more money than the people you're claiming are entitled.

Last edited:

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
The point is that it's usually the senior people who lecture about how it's not meant to be a living wage.

But for them, it was. A guy who has been here 30 years started at $20/hr in today's money. He has no right whatsoever to talk about that.

I've been here 12 years, and I'm just now getting what a 33 year guy got on his first day on the job. They just don't have any room to talk.
You must understand. Living wage at 18 back then was fine. Get an apartment with some buddies and stuff. However, I couldn't have raised a family on that. We had no cell phones or computers then. Now its just another expense. I hope like hell you guys get a killer raise, but maybe a career change is in order if you have a lot more month left at the end of the money.

wilberforce15

You must understand. Living wage at 18 back then was fine. Get an apartment with some buddies and stuff. However, I couldn't have raised a family on that. We had no cell phones or computers then. Now its just another expense. I hope like hell you guys get a killer raise, but maybe a career change is in order if you have a lot more month left at the end of the money.

I'm not hurting at all. I've never even spent anything I've earned at UPS. I've got no mortgage, student debt, credit cards, or anything else and I've got a lot of cash flow even with four kids.

That's not the point.

Living wage at 18 is just fine now. That's what the old guys got, and that's what the new guys can get. And a single guy can live on UPS's 18 and make it okay in most places. Of course everybody should work more than that. But the point is that the old guys didn't have to work elsewhere if they didn't want to, and now everybody has to and many still don't make it.

wilberforce15

It was earned. Over time.

No. It wasn't. I'm talking about their first day on the job.

A guy who started in 1985 got a higher hourly rate on his very first day than a guy who has been here a decade now.

The 1985 wage was about $20/hr if you adjust for inflation. It takes 10 years to get to that rate now.

I've worked 12 years to get barely over what used to get paid on the very first day of work.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
I'm not hurting at all. I've never even spent anything I've earned at UPS. I've got no mortgage, student debt, credit cards, or anything else and I've got a lot of cash flow even with four kids.

That's not the point.

Living wage at 18 is just fine now. That's what the old guys got, and that's what the new guys can get. And a single guy can live on UPS's 18 and make it okay in most places. Of course everybody should work more than that. But the point is that the old guys didn't have to work elsewhere if they didn't want to, and now everybody has to and many still don't make it.
I think this thread has shown numerous times that a lot of us had to work 2 or 3 jobs. If you wanted to make it on your own you had to.

wilberforce15

I think this thread has shown numerous times that a lot of us had to work 2 or 3 jobs. If you wanted to make it on your own you had to.

If you think $8.50 in 1985 is anything remotely comparable to $8.50 in 2004, or $10.00 in 2018, there is nothing I can do for you.

The starting rate in 1985 was double the current starting rate.

Double.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
No. It wasn't. I'm talking about their first day on the job.

A guy who started in 1985 got a higher hourly rate on his very first day than a guy who has been here a decade now.

The 1985 wage was about $20/hr if you adjust for inflation. It takes 10 years to get to that rate now.

I've worked 12 years to get barely over what used to get paid on the very first day of work.
What we have now was EARNED OVER TIME. Good grief man how much simpler can we spell it out?

Box Ox

If you think $8.50 in 1985 is anything remotely comparable to $8.50 in 2004, or $10.00 in 2018, there is nothing I can do for you.

The starting rate in 1985 was double the current starting rate.

Double.

Right. But a lot of us also worked within that pay framework 20 and 30 years later.

wilberforce15

What we have now was EARNED OVER TIME. Good grief man how much simpler can we spell it out?

Of course your current rate is earned. That's completely irrelevant. We're talking about the first day on the job in the past vs. now. I'm sorry for assuming you were more intelligent than that.

The first day on the job pays half of what it used to. That's pathetic and offensive, especially when guys who started at double the rate want to lecture about entitlement.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
"you guys"? who are you talking about? I went FT ground years ago, and hit top rate a couple years ago as well. Im just not so selfish to think that a new contract should only benefit me and my situation only.
So much butt hurt in this thread. Let me clarify my point. I'm not being selfish. I'm being real. Ups is not going to increase starting wage without taking it away somewhere else. Most likely where they will take it from is a lesser top rate for people who are not full time yet. I'm opposed to That, not from raising starting pay.