Part timer planning on voting yes: Change my mind.

Days

You should vote no because voting yes is the equivalent of going down to the car dealership and buying a car you like off the lot at full price.

We need to hear better offers

Blackstream

TL: DR This contract is almost exactly what I as a part timer was looking for, a big enough raise to consider the possibility of dropping my other job as well as no reduction in benefits.

Tell me why I should turn my back on that and threaten my future for yours?

Cause in all honesty, it'll never go to a strike. We'll sit around waiting for our contract for half a year, get a slightly renegotiated contract with slightly better bennies that the union rams down our throats using whatever legal loophole they can, and then we'll all get fat retro-checks for the raise we would have gotten on August 1st. It's not like you only get one vote and then it's a strike. There'll be another slightly better contract, and maybe another and so on until we get to the final offer where we either accept it or strike.

To add onto that, one of the things pretty much everyone here believes is that PTers should be starting at $15 an hour not $13 an hour. I dunno if we'd get that even with a renegotiated contract, but we might get $13.50 or $14.

Next, it's not just the 'old drivers' that are complaining here, it's literally everyone that's not in your position. For reference, I'm a PTer with 8 years of seniority. In 5 years when the next contract is negotiated, you'll be in my position, watching as UPS tries to use a significant but still not enough starting wage bump to get low seniority PTers to vote through a contract that is incredibly suboptimal for you.

And actually, there's PTers in your position seniority wise that this contract actually hoses. Right now at my hub, UPS raised the minimum wage to $15. That's what's needed to hire people on right now. To top it off, they're also removing skill pay with this contract which is a dollar more an hour if you become a pickoff or sorter or whatever. So not only could you be making $15 an hour with this contract, but you really should be able to be making $16 an hour instantly as soon as this contract hits. Now tell me, does a $4.50 raise sound like something in your best interests?

AND finally, 22.4s create a huge issue that I guarantee you the union is gonna have to fight to fix in future contracts. Forget about the current drivers for a second that you seem to think are big babies despite how :censored2:ty working 12+ hours a day is (and it's why I'll never be a driver for the record), the new 22.4 drivers have no 9.5 protection in addition to lower pay. So UPS is getting a huge concession by getting these underpaid second class workers that they have free reign to abuse as much as they want OT wise.

And guess what that means for you? Well if you're a 22.4 by then, you'll be working super :censored2:ty hours for much lower pay while other drivers make $6 an hour more than you and getting to go home to their families, praying that the next generation of PTers don't vote through a contract that doesn't do enough to address your issues. If you're not a 22.4, you get to watch as the Union wastes their time negotiating small but not enough fixes to a job classification that never should have existed in the first place instead of negotiating more good stuff for your job classification instead.

In other words, 22.4s will split the focus of the union, create more us vs them, more haves vs have nots, and will dilute future contracts making it less likely that you get a quality contract that you'll enjoy.

Is that enough reason for you? For the small price of waiting a few months for your raise that may or may not change, but getting all that money in the end anyways, you can help ensure a better future for yourself and everyone else.

Blackstream

Exactly. Come find me in 3 years after you’ve been working 13 hrs a day as a driver and you’ll be telling a different story.
I'm a trained PT responder on the night shift, so I work with a lot of twi/night FTers that have PSC for their second shift, and that's typically the area in the building that is there the longest (usually by far). So I've seen the toll it takes on the poor guys working 11-12 hour days every day.

Now PSC is the easiest :censored2:ing job in the world, nothing at all like driving, but even still, the toll those hours take is immense. You have literally no life during the week, your day is working and sleeping. Maybe getting some chores/errands done if you skip out on some sleep. And it wears you the fuuuuck out, because easy or not, your sleep and health is suffering from all that work day in and day out.

Now add 1-2 hours to that total and imagine driving a truck and constantly running around with packages while that exhausted.

Yeah, those guys have a legitimate reason to complain. I would literally give up my entire raise as a part-timer for a contractual guarantee that any fulltimer could just leave and go home at 9.5 hours no matter what time of year it is. That's my potential future right there, and I'd rather ensure it's not :censored2:.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I know this is going to get me flamed off the boards but please hear me and my situation out.

I have been working part time for the company for almost two years at one of the biggest hubs in the country. Additionally I work another job in the evening and the overlap equals to working 7 days a week which sucks but it's what I need to do to pay the bills and still be able to put a little aside for the future. So this crying about working on Sundays means little to me, I do it right now as it is.

This contract is proposing to give me a $1.50 raise immediately plus the annual progression (which doesn't suck as bad as retail where you are LUCKY to see a .40 raise) and I get to keep my Healthcare plan which is something I have never been able to afford on my own as well as keep my paid holidays and additional benefits that I would never see in (almost) any other business.

You want me to feel sorry for you drivers who were complaining about the crazy amount of hours you worked during peak and even threatened a slow down but now turn around and whine that they are cutting into your hours with the new hybrid drivers, are you for real?!

TL: DR This contract is almost exactly what I as a part timer was looking for, a big enough raise to consider the possibility of dropping my other job as well as no reduction in benefits.

I was captivated all the way up to the part in the title where you said you planned on voting. If more part timers voted, you guys might not be in the predicament you all are in.

Days

The hiring rate at my hub is 15 an hour and I've been there for 5 years. I make 15 an hour along with people that are hired today.

There's a few things I want from this contract where I would vote yes

1. A catch up raise for current part timers. I don't think it needs to be huge. I put in 5 years to make a 2.50 cent progression. I'm not going to ask for a 2.50 raise but an extra 1.50 in the GWI and I'd be happy. Some part timers in my hub want a lot more than that but 1.50 seems fair imo.

2.)part timers shouldn't be punished for scan rates etc. You should work as directed and use the scanners but if your scanner stops working and your sup shakes his head and says "sorry there aren't any other scanners to use" or you're on your fourth scanner because all the other ones kept disconnecting it shouldn't be your fault. I do think part timers should be punished for excessive misloads though.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I know this is going to get me flamed off the boards but please hear me and my situation out.

I have been working part time for the company for almost two years at one of the biggest hubs in the country. Additionally I work another job in the evening and the overlap equals to working 7 days a week which sucks but it's what I need to do to pay the bills and still be able to put a little aside for the future. So this crying about working on Sundays means little to me, I do it right now as it is.

This contract is proposing to give me a $1.50 raise immediately plus the annual progression (which doesn't suck as bad as retail where you are LUCKY to see a .40 raise) and I get to keep my Healthcare plan which is something I have never been able to afford on my own as well as keep my paid holidays and additional benefits that I would never see in (almost) any other business.

You want me to feel sorry for you drivers who were complaining about the crazy amount of hours you worked during peak and even threatened a slow down but now turn around and whine that they are cutting into your hours with the new hybrid drivers, are you for real?!

You have that right.

I respect your right to vote any way you want.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I'm here to work. Load me up.
Not some stupid V* hole like you that hasn't never driven for any length of time..

How about getting our :censored2: to the building on time. Figure that out and you will get my respect.
simple, give Dunkin Donut gift cards to feeder drivers who are early on their scheduled arrivals

on time network fixed in days

Doubleparkedrunner

1.) your 2 jobs equate to working 7 days a week so drivers
( " crying about Sundays " ) as you put it means little to you.

the problem with this " equation" is that you're comparing you CHOOSING to work 2 jobs which in turn, requires the overlap and resulting work on Sundays to someone who isn't choosing to work Sunday but is being FORCED.
( Big difference )

...and as a caveat; most if not all drivers have been where you are at right now ( and for a much longer time period ) wherein they had to have multiple jobs in order to make ends meet while they were "slaving away" in the chitty warehouse jobs UPS has to offer. They did it with their eye on the prize.

( the prize being a Monday through Friday 40 hour week )

So you have chosen your path
...but the drivers had the goal posts moved on them.
( they may not only be forced to work Saturday and/or Sunday but some may even be cut on Mondays and Tuesday's because "there's no work available". )
...Drivers did bust their ass in preload or local sort for five to ten years for that bullcrap.

POINT 2.) A person would be " lucky " to get a 40 cent raise in retail. Again, this is comparing apples to oranges...

First off no one is lucky or unlucky to get a fixed raise in retail. You get what you signed up for. Everyone knows the deal with a retail job; Weird hours and chitty pay but a clean job with no hard labor.

At UPS you still get the weird hours and chitty pay but with the added bonus of it being a dirty job with backbreaking labor.

It seems clear to me which job should pay considerably more than the other !

POiNT 3.) About drivers "whining" about extreme and CONSISTENT overtime then turning around and complaining about the possibility of all their overtime getting taken away;

This is an inadvertent goal post move that has been parroted by many who fail to see the difference between regular overtime and EXCeSSIVE and CoNSISTENT overtime.

The constant , egregious overtime levied on the drivers takes its' toll on their health, their morale , their work production, and above all " their most important stop of the day ".

The difference between a nice and "crisp" 9 or 10 hour day and a 12 to 13 hour dispatch day after day is enormous. The latter doesn't give you any time to see your wife or your kids except when running out the door in the morning on the way to , you guessed it , fing work again.

clean hairy

How much does a new hire make per hour when retention bonus is figured in?
Take that amount and make it starting rate for all new hires!