Part-timers have all the power. They just don’t know it. Yet.

Thebrownblob

I have been in hearings. A lot depends on the skills and knowledge of the BA. Just like having a good lawyer. I am not a good lawyer.
Quite a few things or just paint by the numbers, really not much to argue about but there are issues that come up that are complicated. A poorly written grievance can also be an issue. I won’t debate you that there are occasionally Business agents they are not very good. Mostly they do not want those cases to go to a panel because they have to write a case and put it on in front of the panel. Getting someone paid for a supervisor working is pretty easy same as 9.5. As long as the grievances are written properly, there is really very little to argue about.

Thebrownblob

Copy that, I never never knew just always wondered who pays the LM. So at a panel hearing is it the same company shill ?
At a panel The companies labor manager and the union business manager write a case and put it on, in front of the panel which consists generally of three management people and three union people. They will ask questions and then, They ultimately decide, unless it gets deadlocked again and then it goes to JAC

Thebrownblob

Pretty sad when your lawyer, I mean BA suggest you give up the case.
Again I’m not going to make a judgment here because I don’t know what you’re talking about exactly. But if you’re unhappy you should be talking to his boss which would usually be the president of the local or whoever the principal officer is. Maybe you didn’t have a case, or maybe he’s lazy I don’t know.

2Down2Many2Go

At a panel The companies labor manager and the union business manager write a case and put it on, in front of the panel which consists generally of three management people and three union people. They will ask questions and then, They ultimately decide, unless it gets deadlocked again and then it goes to JAC
Ok like I said I've never been thru it, just always wondered how and who is involved.

Quite a few things or just paint by the numbers, really not much to argue about but there are issues that come up that are complicated. A poorly written grievance can also be an issue. I won’t debate you that there are occasionally Business agents they are not very good. Mostly they do not want those cases to go to a panel because they have to write a case and put it on in front of the panel. Getting someone paid for a supervisor working is pretty easy same as 9.5. As long as the grievances are written properly, there is really very little to argue about.
But yet they do argue every point. You also depend on the BA to make sure the grievance is written properly. My Local has an election coming up and that is the main points. Representation. Would you hire a lawyer to represent you and than just sits there and have you do all of the talking while the other side makes a monkey out of you?

Thebrownblob

But yet they do argue every point. You also depend on the BA to make sure the grievance is written properly. My Local has an election coming up and that is the main points. Representation. Would you hire a lawyer to represent you and than just sits there and have you do all of the talking while the other side makes a monkey out of you?
My business agent is not generally involved with the every day grievance writing, I take care of that. But if you’re not happy with them vote them out as you should. If they’re not representing you that’s the most important job they have

My business agent is not generally involved with the every day grievance writing, I take care of that. But if you’re not happy with them vote them out as you should. If they’re not representing you that’s the most important job they have
A lot of times the Stewards and BAs are just overwhelmed with all of the grievances coming in. Especially if you have termination grievances which take priority. Than you bring in a new slate and no matter their original intentions there is still a learning curve. Unfortunately a lot of good grievances are lost during that learning curve.

2Down2Many2Go

A lot of times the Stewards and BAs are just overwhelmed with all of the grievances coming in. Especially if you have termination grievances which take priority. Than you bring in a new slate and no matter their original intentions there is still a learning curve. Unfortunately a lot of good grievances are lost during that learning curve.
What Good Grievance have you filled 🤔

Nah
Do Part-timers want a better contract? If they do then IMO part-timers need to sub organize their power, their power that exists in their numbers.

By their numbers alone, if organized in unified solidarity, UPS Teamster part-timers could and should write their own and everyone else’s ticket when it comes to the UPS Master Collective bargaining agreements.

One problem is they don’t know of the power that they have in their numbers. The numbers to overwhelmingly out vote Full-time UPS Teamsters on National issues.

Apathy is another problem but maybe the apathy would decrease if they were actually educated about this power and then respected for the power that they hold.

If all part-timers showed solidarity and voted, part-timers could name their conditions and nobody could do a thing about it.

IMO UPS Full-timers fear a part-time work force actively and fully involved in the Union by uniting and voting in solidarity.

100% Part-time voting should be the goal and I believe full-timers greatly fear this possibility.

I believe if UPS Teamster Part-timers were to grow into their power within the Teamsters at UPS represented by their sheer numbers the UPS Teamsters would be more effectively and fairly represented.

Part-time stewards, do you fully recognize and educate your members of the importance and powerful position that part-timers truly hold by their sheer numbers?

Or

Are you convinced as many want to believe that the part-timers are not important in UPS Teamsters Politics and issues?
It will never happen. Most part timers are here for the benefits or until something better comes along. Many just want to "do their job and go home without making waves."

And probably half don't even really know they're in a union despite the dues coming out of their checks.

I've tried and failed many times to get more part timers involved. They're just not interested.