Part Timers, Heat, Hydration, and Bathroom Breaks

35years

Gravy route
Ask the supervisor's boss if he has heard of this...

..."The restroom issue also arose in a massive class-action lawsuit against Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. In a 2008 ruling Dakota County Judge Robert King found that from 1998 to 2004, there were 1.5 million missed and shorted rest breaks. He mentioned the case of Nancy Braun, a Wal-Mart employee, who suffered "the humiliating experience of soiling herself while at work because she was not permitted to use the restroom."

While the judge described her case and a similar one as "an aberration," his overall findings ultimately led to a $54.25 million settlement,"

This woman got back pay and a huge settlement.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hello fellow upsers!
I've browsed this forum many times, but this is a first posting a thread. I've been with UPS for only about 7 months so I'm fairly new to the game.
So a little background - located in NJ, the temperature is starting to slowly creep up and working in the hub can be a workout to say the least. Warmer weather = need for proper hydration = need for more bathroom breaks.
I was told yesterday by the full time supervisor of our hub that we are only allowed one bathroom/relief time during our building 10 minute break as is policy according to our contract. When I expressed concern for my health, I was told a number of condescending, demeaning comments - file a disability, be a grown adult, etc to name a few.
I've since looked through the teamster ups agreement and have not found such policy and decided to reach out here to see if there is maybe a contract somewhere out there that I'm missing and any insight anyone might have regarding this.
I would also like to point out that this conversation happened after I had used the bathroom on my way to the other side of the building (I was being moved around) as I was passing in order to minimize the need for bathroom use during busy time in an effort to be more productive. (Also adding that I take less than one minute each time).
Thank you kindly for reading and in advance for your insight!
What building are you in?

snarts

They can't dictate when and how many times you can go the bathroom. Just don't abuse it and go 5 times a day. As for the heat, its simply something you are going to have to deal with. Just stay hydrated.

clean hairy

"We have 2 options"
"I can drink very little water and pass out from dehydration, and you have a worker comp claim"
"Or, I can drink enough water to stay hydrated, and use the bathroom as needed"
"What do you want me to do?"
"BTW, do you instruct Women to go only during break? If not, we have another issue to deal with"
Make certain to have a Steward there when this takes place.

542thruNthru

Hello fellow upsers!
I've browsed this forum many times, but this is a first posting a thread. I've been with UPS for only about 7 months so I'm fairly new to the game.
So a little background - located in NJ, the temperature is starting to slowly creep up and working in the hub can be a workout to say the least. Warmer weather = need for proper hydration = need for more bathroom breaks.
I was told yesterday by the full time supervisor of our hub that we are only allowed one bathroom/relief time during our building 10 minute break as is policy according to our contract. When I expressed concern for my health, I was told a number of condescending, demeaning comments - file a disability, be a grown adult, etc to name a few.
I've since looked through the teamster ups agreement and have not found such policy and decided to reach out here to see if there is maybe a contract somewhere out there that I'm missing and any insight anyone might have regarding this.
I would also like to point out that this conversation happened after I had used the bathroom on my way to the other side of the building (I was being moved around) as I was passing in order to minimize the need for bathroom use during busy time in an effort to be more productive. (Also adding that I take less than one minute each time).

File a grievance and OSHA complaint.
giphy-4.gif

Phraust

Oddly enough we also recently has a sup try to pull a similar crock o crap about an employee 'abusing' the 'privilege' of using the restroom. Was told if he continued to do so he would forfeit his break and would be expected to continue working as expected. A friend of this employee informed me with a quick phone call during the shift and all it took me(as a steward) was 1 quick shout at the acting shift sup and a few words with the center manager and that sup hasn't said a peep about it since. Though now they've slightly changed their stance on covering for bathroom breaks which is taking some time to get the members to get used too...

TeltBender

Dehydration is no joke. In the winter they blast the heating and it all rises into the grid and cooks you. one time in February I went completely blind for over a minute and I thought I was gonna die. I notified my supervisor and he told me to “walk it off”

J.D. Hogg

Hello fellow upsers!
Most pre-loaders go to the restroom right before the shift starts, at break, and right before they leave, and no one notices or cares.

Unfortunately, there's always those few employees that take too many unnecessary, excessive bathroom breaks, they need a band-aid, they forgot their drink/gloves in the car, they need a kleenex-- it's always something to get out of working -- and they ruin it for everyone else.