Part Timers, Heat, Hydration, and Bathroom Breaks

wintertime

Hello fellow upsers!
I've browsed this forum many times, but this is a first posting a thread. I've been with UPS for only about 7 months so I'm fairly new to the game.
So a little background - located in NJ, the temperature is starting to slowly creep up and working in the hub can be a workout to say the least. Warmer weather = need for proper hydration = need for more bathroom breaks.
I was told yesterday by the full time supervisor of our hub that we are only allowed one bathroom/relief time during our building 10 minute break as is policy according to our contract. When I expressed concern for my health, I was told a number of condescending, demeaning comments - file a disability, be a grown adult, etc to name a few.
I've since looked through the teamster ups agreement and have not found such policy and decided to reach out here to see if there is maybe a contract somewhere out there that I'm missing and any insight anyone might have regarding this.
I would also like to point out that this conversation happened after I had used the bathroom on my way to the other side of the building (I was being moved around) as I was passing in order to minimize the need for bathroom use during busy time in an effort to be more productive. (Also adding that I take less than one minute each time).
Thank you kindly for reading and in advance for your insight!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
tenor.gif

contact a steward. Your supervisor is just harassing you

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Tell him you have uromysitisis. Also contact a steward. Your supervisor is just harassing you

File a (fill in the blank) discrimination grievance against the said supervisor, or bring an empty plastic container and ask him to hold it when nature calls. Make sure he holds it correctly otherwise you might miss.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Hello fellow upsers!
I've browsed this forum many times, but this is a first posting a thread. I've been with UPS for only about 7 months so I'm fairly new to the game.
So a little background - located in NJ, the temperature is starting to slowly creep up and working in the hub can be a workout to say the least. Warmer weather = need for proper hydration = need for more bathroom breaks.
I was told yesterday by the full time supervisor of our hub that we are only allowed one bathroom/relief time during our building 10 minute break as is policy according to our contract. When I expressed concern for my health, I was told a number of condescending, demeaning comments - file a disability, be a grown adult, etc to name a few.
I've since looked through the teamster ups agreement and have not found such policy and decided to reach out here to see if there is maybe a contract somewhere out there that I'm missing and any insight anyone might have regarding this.
I would also like to point out that this conversation happened after I had used the bathroom on my way to the other side of the building (I was being moved around) as I was passing in order to minimize the need for bathroom use during busy time in an effort to be more productive. (Also adding that I take less than one minute each time).
Do you know your steward?

If not, this is a great time to get to know him. (Or her).

This one is easy, and that supe needs to get slapped down *hard*.

I'd make sure there is a witness, and then ask him if production is more important to him than the safety of proper hydration.

Whatever answer he gives, he's screwed.

Nah
I was told yesterday by the full time supervisor of our hub that we are only allowed one bathroom/relief time during our building 10 minute break as is policy according to our contract.

He's full of crap. I'd laugh in his face and walk right by him on my way to the bathroom.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Hello fellow upsers!
Something you are doing...

Or not doing...

Is making people think they can talk to you any kinda way.

Stop it.

Go take a bathroom break.

Hope this helps

Box Handler of Dallas

Absolutely not. You need to piss, go. Need to refill your water, go. I pack a small Igloo cooler with 10 bottled water per shift and ice it down when I get to the hub. Let them pay for the ice. They tell you you can't go to the bathroom? Let that bladder loose in your work area. Sure, you'll be wet and may be embarrassed, but it'll piss off you sups when they have to have a body fluid cleaned up. Let them explain why that happened. PS, you wouldn't be the first to do this.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Just tell them all that crap they preach about hydration and how you are supposed to drink a 16 oz bottle every hour.Or just file a grievance for harassment and use the DOK as a weapon against them.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Absolutely not. You need to piss, go. Need to refill your water, go. I pack a small Igloo cooler with 10 bottled water per shift and ice it down when I get to the hub. Let them pay for the ice. They tell you you can't go to the bathroom? Let that bladder loose in your work area. Sure, you'll be wet and may be embarrassed, but it'll piss off you sups when they have to have a body fluid cleaned up. Let them explain why that happened. PS, you wouldn't be the first to do this.
No... if they tell you not to go to the bathroom. You go anyway.