Part-Timers Petition for a Fair Contract

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have and will continue to vote " NO " .
Until the Air Driver's policy of mandatory working the Friday after Thanksgiving ( at their normal rate ) is removed.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have and will continue to vote " NO " .
Until the Air Driver's policy of mandatory working the Friday after Thanksgiving ( at their normal rate) is removed.
Which means you would have Thursday off, work Friday (regular art 40 rate), sat - sun -mon off. Yes, as an article 40 driver in NE you have the option of taking the next work day off, when forced to work a holiday.

LagunaBrown

Splozi said "I don't attend meetings or participate in union activities because as much as I do belong to a club, I really do not want to belong to a club. I'm not a people person. I don't like... people. I don't want to sit next to a person, or hear them breath.

Unfortunately, with UPS being the way it is, I don't have much of a choice but to pay the mob a weekly bribe for some protection, or at least the idea of protection."

Your dues money doesn't buy you a full time baby sitter for your ultra hermit life style.... It's a membership and we depend on people sticking together. Maybe you should think about management.....You don't have to care about people, Just numbers.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In my honest opinion, what are you part time people pissed about !!!!!! You move a bag or box from point A to point B. The longer you do it, the more money you make. How effin simple is that !!!!

Don't let me see shedded tears over how much someone makes walking through the door. They know they will be making way more in a few years with a great benefit package and a vested pension. 95% of us drivers started this way and we "suffered" because we saw the big picture.

Trust me, maybe your center is slow in hiring FT and your stuck making $15 bucks an hour for 4 hours a day. GET ANOTHER PART TIME JOB TO COMPENSATE. I think the pay working in the building is fair and not unfair.

upsman68

Sorry I don't think the pay is fair especially since I started 22 years ago and that's what I started out getting paid Why do you think we have so much turnover and not getting good quality employees. It's not worth 8.50 an hour to wake up early in the morning load 3 trucks have supervisors yelling at you and then drivers yell at you. I don't yell at my preloader. Im just thankful he gets about 99 percent of my load in the right section.
Working two jobs is not very fun. If someone wants to stay with the company in my building and go full-time it takes about 8-10 years. I think that's along time to work 2 jobs. Just my opinion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe you should think about management.....You don't have to care about people, Just numbers.

We wish, they are always harping on us and harassing us to care about our people.
I get so tired of this ... why can't they just give us robots?
They don't whine and bitch all the time ... they are always wanting something.
I just listen to them and say, "I'll get back to you." LOL
I never do. If they ask 3 times, I finally will respond. Pests!
Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

whiskers

In my honest opinion, what are you part time people pissed about !!!!!! You move a bag or box from point A to point B. The longer you do it, the more money you make. How effin simple is that !!!!

Don't let me see shedded tears over how much someone makes walking through the door. They know they will be making way more in a few years with a great benefit package and a vested pension. 95% of us drivers started this way and we "suffered" because we saw the big picture.

Trust me, maybe your center is slow in hiring FT and your stuck making $15 bucks an hour for 4 hours a day. GET ANOTHER PART TIME JOB TO COMPENSATE. I think the pay working in the building is fair and not unfair.

Starting pay has not increased in over 20 years. In some states this is or very close to minimum wage. $8.50 in 1985 had the same buying power as $18.22 in 2012.

Many PTers have waited close to ten years without an oppurtunity to drive. Did you "suffer" that long?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The work has become less and less skilled, therefore the cost of the labor (ignoring inflation) should have declined in the past 30 years.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Starting pay has not increased in over 20 years. In some states this is or very close to minimum wage. $8.50 in 1985 had the same buying power as $18.22 in 2012.

Many PTers have waited close to ten years without an oppurtunity to drive. Did you "suffer" that long?

I waited 5 1/2 years to drive. I worked at a golf course during the spring,summer,fall and did odd jobs during winter
I also took classes in college my first 2 years. If you have anything to be mad about, its UPS taking away the tuition reimbursement.

The progression pay rate at UPS is not bad for an unskilled uneducated monkey. If you want the big banana, then you wait your turn like everyone else. The union guarantees you will get your chance by seniority. If you started when you were 20, then you'd be a driver by 30. That's basically the norm.

There are 2 main reasons progression has slowed :

A ) UPS is waiting for more favorable language before they hire more full time drivers
B ) More feeder drivers are not retiring based on the economy, great pay-less stress, and possibly bad money management

whiskers

I waited 5 1/2 years to drive. I worked at a golf course during the spring,summer,fall and did odd jobs during winter
I also took classes in college my first 2 years. If you have anything to be mad about, its UPS taking away the tuition reimbursement.

The progression pay rate at UPS is not bad for an unskilled uneducated monkey. If you want the big banana, then you wait your turn like everyone else. The union guarantees you will get your chance by seniority. If you started when you were 20, then you'd be a driver by 30. That's basically the norm.

I'm not "mad" or "pissed", I just see that things could be better for PTers. With contract negotiations being our chance to attempt to make some changes.

I know that my bosses cannot do my job, and drivers that bump into the building cannot either(without some training). Granted it wouldn't take too long to learn, but there is SOME skill involved.

LagunaBrown

Maybe you should think about management.....You don't have to care about people, Just numbers.

We wish, they are always harping on us and harassing us to care about our people.
I get so tired of this ... why can't they just give us robots?
They don't whine and bitch all the time ... they are always wanting something.
I just listen to them and say, "I'll get back to you." LOL
I never do. If they ask 3 times, I finally will respond. Pests!
Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

Lol.

nicky

I have been PT for 9 years, a cover driver for a little over 7 of those years, and my center hasnt promoted a full time position in over 4 years. My argument for PT's in the next contract is that Pension be based on hours of service not PT/FT. Should I really get half the pension credit for doing the same thing FT drivers have been doing for the last 7 years? If Im working FT hours I should get FT pension. The starting pay for PT's is what it is, and has been for 20+ years. To me its part of the paying your dues process. Everyone has had to do it.

whiskers

I have been PT for 9 years, a cover driver for a little over 7 of those years, and my center hasnt promoted a full time position in over 4 years. My argument for PT's in the next contract is that Pension be based on hours of service not PT/FT. Should I really get half the pension credit for doing the same thing FT drivers have been doing for the last 7 years? If Im working FT hours I should get FT pension. The starting pay for PT's is what it is, and has been for 20+ years. To me its part of the paying your dues process. Everyone has had to do it.

The pension has been based on PT/FT for many years also, is that part of the paying your dues process? With this line of thinking nothing should ever change.

UPSER110

Not to mention the fact UPS profits billions of dollars a year. I know they are in business to make money, but a pay raise wouldn't hurt. Like several have said the quality of workers could rise with higher starting wages. I would also like to see a 4hr guarantee instead of 3.5, When we take a vaction/sick/personal day we are paid at 4hrs a day. friend/t get 8 we should get 4.

Just because we are part time and have to pay our dues doesn't mean we have to suffer. Driving is a hard job and the pay is great, but p/ters work hard as well for almost nothing a week. We all need to come together friend/t and p/t and demand better wages while keeping our insurance. Also in the state I work there is no tuition reimbursement which I would like to see a change in the near future.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have a contract proposal meeting at my local tonight. Am on vacation this week and hate the thought of dealing with work related issues while off. Will suck it up and attend because this is about my future work conditions and the future of others that will follow me. If you don't try to change what you feel is unjust then you have NO right to bitch about the cards that are dealt to you!
That being said, will be willing to bet this weeks paycheck that there are at most a handful of part-timers that show up to propose anything.