Part-Timers Petition for a Fair Contract

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have a contract proposal meeting at my local tonight. Am on vacation this week and hate the thought of dealing with work related issues while off. Will suck it up and attend because this is about my future work conditions and the future of others that will follow me. If you don't try to change what you feel is unjust then you have NO right to bitch about the cards that are dealt to you! That being said, will be willing to bet this weeks paycheck that there are at most a handful of part-timers that show up to propose anything.

Rather than "waste" vacation time attending a union meeting why don't you e-mail a list of your proposals to your BA, shop steward or to a co-worker who you know will be going to the meeting and ask them to present them for you.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have a contract proposal meeting at my local tonight. Am on vacation this week and hate the thought of dealing with work related issues while off. Will suck it up and attend because this is about my future work conditions and the future of others that will follow me. If you don't try to change what you feel is unjust then you have NO right to bitch about the cards that are dealt to you!
That being said, will be willing to bet this weeks paycheck that there are at most a handful of part-timers that show up to propose anything.
Paycheck is safe. There were NO part-timers at the proposal meeting last night.

Justaname

In my honest opinion, what are you part time people pissed about !!!!!! You move a bag or box from point A to point B. The longer you do it, the more money you make. How effin simple is that !!!!

Don't let me see shedded tears over how much someone makes walking through the door. They know they will be making way more in a few years with a great benefit package and a vested pension. 95% of us drivers started this way and we "suffered" because we saw the big picture.

Trust me, maybe your center is slow in hiring FT and your stuck making $15 bucks an hour for 4 hours a day. GET ANOTHER PART TIME JOB TO COMPENSATE. I think the pay working in the building is fair and not unfair.
I load cars most the year and drive for peak. I'll drive over preload any day of the week! But I know I just I have to wait my turn and pay my dues just like most drivers have. Street hires are the exception, lucky buttholes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I load cars most the year and drive for peak. I'll drive over preload any day of the week! But I know I just I have to wait my turn and pay my dues just like most drivers have. Street hires are the exception, lucky buttholes.

Off the street hires are not nearly as qualified as those who worked their way up through the PT ranks.

jeffpatterson

Can we stop calling parttimers unskilled, uneducated monkeys? They just want a fair shake like everyone else. Drivers are no more skilled or educated than the preloaders are. I don't hear the preloaders calling them unskilled, uneducated monkeys.

upsgrunt

You won't ever hear that from me- I was there once too. It is one of the hardest jobs in the company; it's hot, cold, early, and dirty.

Jigawatts

The progression pay rate at UPS is not bad for an unskilled uneducated monkey.

I'm not sure where you get this from, but I guess you need a degree to grow a mustache, frequent tanning salons, and reek of Sex Panther cologne? Hey, 60% of the time it works all the time.

working up a sweat

90% of the PTer's where I work, want to retain the health and retirement bennies. They are not here to make an extra 2 dollars an hour. They see the long term benefit of the pension and healthcare bennies that are worth 30 dollars an hour that they don't see in their check(they know it).They see it when they and their family goes to the doctor now. Also, if you can last 7 years(you need 5 years to get vested) you are getting a pension that pays almost as much a week they make now when your collecting your pension at 65. Last 10 years PT, the pension is more golden. No concessions for a meager higher hourly wage and slashing healthcare and retirement benefits for PTers!