Why is PVD Work for Part-Timers Not Good?

ThePackageDeli

Then the company needs to make more full-time jobs.

It's sad everybody is willing to give up rights and they don't have balls like we did in 1997 when we got 10,000 new full-time jobs out of that contract.
I don't think Gen Z coming up and even many Millennials are interested in working full-time. It's a new world and people have grown tired of the old model. They want more flexibility.

I don't think Gen Z coming up and even many Millennials are interested in working full-time. It's a new world and people have grown tired of the old model. They want more flexibility.
In that case they need to apply elsewhere

Generations before us very hard for our contractual rights .

Whatever happens with this contract is not going to affect my future but it may affect the future of many other people that work here.

Thankfully O'Brien will not with those things happen.

Up In Smoke

You're saying it's more beneficial for UPS to hire outsiders for PVD than to let union employees do PVD. I agree. But, that doesn't mean our union can't negotiate the creation of union PVD jobs.
There was a temporary letter of understanding in the West for the peak season of 2022. They allowed part time employees to work as PVDs prior to off the street employees. Not sure how that worked out for both parties.

Cowboy Mac

And if you wreck your car or unfortunately hurt somebody else who is going to cover that?
When I was Part-Time I worked several part time jobs because I wanted to do more than make ends meet while waiting to go FT at UPS.

I delivered pizzas among other things. I had to get a certain type of insurance coverage for using the vehicle for deliveries, which cost more. Between that, the gas spent, and the wear on my old car that I depended on to get to work at UPS, I realized that it wasn’t very profitable.

Several years later I heard about a class action law suit where it came out that hundreds of pizza delivery drivers were making less than minimum wage after expenses.

When I was Part-Time I worked several part time jobs because I wanted to do more than make ends meet while waiting to go FT at UPS.

I delivered pizzas among other things. I had to get a certain type of insurance coverage for using the vehicle for deliveries, which cost more. Between that, the gas spent, and the wear on my old car that I depended on to get to work at UPS, I realized that it wasn’t very profitable.

Several years later I heard about a class action law suit where it came out that hundreds of pizza delivery drivers were making less than minimum wage after expenses.
We can't afford to let these jobs slip away.

Unfortunately too many people only look at the dollar amount of our raises on the contract and not the other issues.

Cowboy Mac

We can't afford to let these jobs slip away.

Unfortunately too many people only look at the dollar amount of our raises on the contract and not the other issues.
Many of us had to work long hours at multiple jobs SO THAT we could eventually go FT and make top rate one day.

The fact that this guy PackageDeli (who hasn’t responded to any of my counter arguments) can’t see that his idea would take away opportunities for a Part Timer to achieve success, tells me that he is probably a management troll.

Many of us had to work long hours at multiple jobs SO THAT we could eventually go FT and make top rate one day.

The fact that this guy PackageDeli (who hasn’t responded to any of my counter arguments) can’t see that his idea would take away opportunities for a Part Timer to achieve success, tells me that he is probably a management troll.
Unfortunately the goal for many of the new report timers, not all of them.

They don't want to go driving like wanted to.
It's very hard to get into UPS back in the day now they hire we felon and convict they can find

ThePackageDeli

The problem is that when you have contractors of any kind they are making less money by driving their personal vehicle than a company driver. After gas, wear and tear on their car, and a lower hourly rate, the profits for the driver go away quickly.

Create more full time driver jobs and allow PTers to start earning a FT pension credit, and allow them to start their wage progression to top driver rate. This is worth so much more than OT for a PTer.
I don't understand why both can't be true at the same time. Leave everything the way it currently is, continue to bring in new RPCD's, and ALSO create the PVD opportunity (for those who choose to get more hours), and help drivers get off the clock sooner (for those who choose to receive help).

ThePackageDeli

Somewhere in every center there is a pre-loader looking for more hours, and a driver trying to give some stops away. Let's play matchmaker and make them both happy. I don't see anything at all wrong with that as long as contract language is in place to protect full-time driving jobs.

Thebrownblob

I don't understand why both can't be true at the same time. Leave everything the way it currently is, continue to bring in new RPCD's, and ALSO create the PVD opportunity (for those who choose to get more hours), and help drivers get off the clock sooner (for those who choose to receive help).
If you say you have been here 20 years and then on top of that, you say “also create PVD opportunities” you would already know there would be next no opportunities for new RPCDs if there was a PVD allowed year round. You only need to look at what happened with the 22.4 to understand the way UPS manipulates contracts and uses them to their advantage, and to our disadvantage. Seriously you can’t be this blind.

Thebrownblob

Somewhere in every center there is a pre-loader looking for more hours, and a driver trying to give some stops away. Let's play matchmaker and make them both happy. I don't see anything at all wrong with that as long as contract language is in place to protect full-time driving jobs.
You mean like they protect the current RPCDs, who are laid off? Or how about the current feeder drivers laid off with contractors pulling loads. Anytime you give UPS an inch they take 20 miles and then tell you tough luck.

Cowboy Mac

Both cannot be true because there is only a finite amount of work. If you give work to a PVD the work is not there for a potential new driver

Thebrownblob

And the company prove that very well during peak

Trying to give guys a code 05 while they gave their work away to scabs
Yep people having to fight to get their guarantee and PVDs were delivering more than half of the route. I can’t believe anyone is ignorant enough to think the company wouldn’t take advantage of it if it was in the contract even worse.

Yep people having to fight to get their guarantee and PVDs were delivering more than half of the route. I can’t believe anyone is ignorant enough to think the company wouldn’t take advantage of it if it was in the contract even worse.
Just like they didn't take advantage of the 22.4 drivers

Some of these people need to wake the eff up

ThePackageDeli

If you say you have been here 20 years and then on top of that, you say “also create PVD opportunities” you would already know there would be next no opportunities for new RPCDs if there was a PVD allowed year round. You only need to look at what happened with the 22.4 to understand the way UPS manipulates contracts and uses them to their advantage, and to our disadvantage. Seriously you can’t be this blind.

Let's use a real world scenario...

Let's say I have a total of 100 routes in my center, and 40 of the 100 routes are 20 to 30 stops heavy on any given day.

You guys are looking at it this way: You're saying if 40 routes on any given day have 20 stops to get rid of - that's 800 stops - that's 5 base cars(5 full-time driving jobs) each with about 160 stops that could be/should be added to the line-up on any given day.

I'm looking at it this way: I'm saying that not only is the volume across those 40 heavy routes likely too spread out across the map and coverage area to efficiently utilize base cars, but I'm also saying that UPS has never during the 20 years that I've worked there added those 5 base cars on any given day.

All that extra work would be perfect for a PVD, and not take away full-time jobs at all.