Why is PVD Work for Part-Timers Not Good?

ThePackageDeli

I need someone to explain something that is not obvious to me...

What is the problem with giving OT to part-timers by letting them deliver packages out of their personal vehicle?

Something about creating more full-time jobs and the pension, but I need someone to connect the dots for me.

- Thank you

This is 22.4 but worse. You can go into it with the intent that the part timers will just be picking up the slack, but corporate will see savings and act accordingly.

What is the problem with giving OT to part-timers by letting them deliver packages out of their personal vehicle?

Something about creating more full-time jobs and the pension, but I need someone to connect the dots for me.

- Thank you
Aunt Carol does not want to give it to part-time workers she thinks she's disability anybody off the street
They do not want to work to go to union members they want to subcontract it
And PVD drivers are direct violation of our contract

dogs.bite.me

This is 22.4 but worse. You can go into it with the intent that the part timers will just be picking up the slack, but corporate will see savings and act accordingly.
Pretty soon they’ll be giving the work to the part time PVD’s and asking you to code 5 every day stating they don’t have enough work.

They will also use that to cut routes and reduce full time jobs.

- Thank you

So, for every three or four PVDs they give work to, that's probably equivalent to another full route. Where I am, a route that's put in 3x or more a week for a month creates a bid route. For every x number of bid route drivers, we have to have y number of utility drivers. So, creating another route essentially creates another full-time job. PTers are upset there aren't enough FT opportunities for them, doing PVD work submarines their own cause.

Now, that said, they want to use non-union outside contractors for PVD work anyway, and that's bull:censored2: for all the same reasons but worse because they're not even part of the bargaining unit.

Hope this helps.

Cowboy Mac

- Thank you
The problem is that when you have contractors of any kind they are making less money by driving their personal vehicle than a company driver. After gas, wear and tear on their car, and a lower hourly rate, the profits for the driver go away quickly.

Create more full time driver jobs and allow PTers to start earning a FT pension credit, and allow them to start their wage progression to top driver rate. This is worth so much more than OT for a PTer.

Thebrownblob

- Thank you
Aside from watering down the full-time position, the company has continually refused every year to even allow part-timers, who are already employed at UPS to do PVD work.

It’s clear the company does not want to involve the union and PVD so they can abuse it anyway they like.

ThePackageDeli

So, for every three or four PVDs they give work to, that's probably equivalent to another full route. Where I am, a route that's put in 3x or more a week for a month creates a bid route. For every x number of bid route drivers, we have to have y number of utility drivers. So, creating another route essentially creates another full-time job. PTers are upset there aren't enough FT opportunities for them, doing PVD work submarines their own cause.

Now, that said, they want to use non-union outside contractors for PVD work anyway, and that's bull:censored2: for all the same reasons but worse because they're not even part of the bargaining unit.

Hope this helps.
Thank you this helps.

So, letting part-timers do PVD would prevent new routes from being formed, and prevent full-time positions from being created which is not a good thing, I agree.

But, what about this?...

Currently, UPS is all about putting 10lbs of poopie into a 5lb bucket and reducing the amount of package cars on road. And, I don't think the union has the ability to force UPS to create more routes. So in the meantime a lot of drivers are getting hammered and are not happy with the amount of work and hours they are forced to do. But the years go by and nothing changes...

Doesn't it seem like a good idea to help all parties involved by assisting drivers AND giving part-timers more hours at the same time? It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. It's all union employees doing union work. No outside contractors.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Not forgetting anything over 5 hours is OT for part-timers. They'd be making decent $$$ doing PVD.

PT Car Washer

Thank you this helps.

So, letting part-timers do PVD would prevent new routes from being formed, and prevent full-time positions from being created which is not a good thing, I agree.

But, what about this?...

Currently, UPS is all about putting 10lbs of poopie into a 5lb bucket and reducing the amount of package cars on road. And, I don't think the union has the ability to force UPS to create more routes. So in the meantime a lot of drivers are getting hammered and are not happy with the amount of work and hours they are forced to do. But the years go by and nothing changes...

Doesn't it seem like a good idea to help all parties involved by assisting drivers AND giving part-timers more hours at the same time? It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. It's all union employees doing union work. No outside contractors.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Not forgetting anything over 5 hours is OT for part-timers. They'd be making decent $$$ doing PVD.
Not all PT get OT after 5 hours. PT air drivers for one. Neither do they receive OT for working a 6th punch on Saturday.

Thank you this helps.

But, what about this?...

Thoughts?

My thoughts? Don't be so short-sighted.

Drivers don't need PTers to help, they need more drivers. You need to understand the concept of precedent; if it's okay for UPS to do that now, why wouldn't it be okay forever? The precedent would be set. The longer they don't have to address the real issue, the longer they'll take to do it.

Idk where you are, but here and many other places, PTers don't get OT until after 8 hours. Also, your supplement may have language that may very well force UPS to put in routes. Being diligent with 9.5 grievances will force the district labor manager and the union to figure out the problem, they have to address it after four occurrences for any one driver as per Art 37.

Your solution undermines the process and :censored2:s your brothers and sisters in the long run. This is the same type of :censored2: @PT Car Washer has done for years and somehow can't comprehend how it affects anyone else. It's a flawed system and it affects future FT jobs in the long run.

Drivers don't need PTers to help, they need more drivers. You need to understand the concept of precedent; if it's okay for UPS to do that now, why wouldn't it be okay forever? The precedent would be set. The longer they don't have to address the real issue, the longer they'll take to do it.

Idk where you are, but here and many other places, PTers don't get OT until after 8 hours. Also, your supplement may have language that may very well force UPS to put in routes. Being diligent with 9.5 grievances will force the district labor manager and the union to figure out the problem, they have to address it after four occurrences for any one driver as per Art 37.

Your solution undermines the process and :censored2:s your brothers and sisters in the long run. This is the same type of :censored2: @PT Car Washer has done for years and somehow can't comprehend how it affects anyone else. It's a flawed system and it affects future FT jobs in the long run.
That'll be fine if they use part-timers in the summertime to help with vacations or during Peak but as an all year round solution, that's not acceptable

Cowboy Mac

If PTers want more money give them opportunities to make more by going full time. You hit top rate after 4 years. Full time pension.

No! PackageDeli says we need part timers driving around in their own cars like Pizza Hut.

If PTers want more money give them opportunities to make more by going full time. You hit top rate after 4 years. Full time pension.

No! PackageDeli says we need part timers driving around in their own cars like Pizza Hut.
At least the guy is asking questions and affording himself the opportunity to learn something, credit where credit is due. It's a complex system and I get how the big picture can escape people. Happens to me from time to time being in a small rural center, I don't always think how it affects aspects of the operation I'm unfamiliar with.

Cowboy Mac

Thank you this helps.

But, what about this?...

Thoughts?

Dear Carol,

I understand UPS is all about efficiency, so instead of putting 250 packages per route, I thought it would be a better idea to have 5 drivers with 50 packages each. So we can be more efficient that way.

Also understanding our need for consistent customer service, and protecting the brand, our values as a company, I think we need less big brown trucks with uniformed drivers. If we could get a few more people in their 1994 Honda accords and Chevy s10 pickups with a helper vest on, I think this could really benefit us.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing you at the next corporate operations planning meeting.

All the best,

ThePackageDeli

Cowboy Mac

At least the guy is asking questions and affording himself the opportunity to learn something, credit where credit is due. It's a complex system and I get how the big picture can escape people. Happens to me from time to time being in a small rural center, I don't always think how it affects aspects of the operation I'm unfamiliar with.
This isn’t his first post trying to convince people that PVDs are the future. It’s a sly way to try to change people’s minds dressed up as a question.

Guess what?
I was the original PVD driver