Pay Raises are now Official

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I haen't heard this. Then again 'My manager/upper management does NOT keep us informed'.

I think you know better MFE. I doubt they'll allow this. Well, maybe they will until the 1st important package gets stolen.....or they say :rolleyes: it got stolen. FedEx does some dumb things, but covering their butt their good at.

That was my first thought too. But if they get a full release from the customer, maybe their butts are already covered. If true, this has "disaster' written all over it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think you know better MFE. I doubt they'll allow this. Well, maybe they will until the 1st important package gets stolen.....or they say :rolleyes: it got stolen. FedEx does some dumb things, but covering their butt their good at.

Have you seen the new Powerpad options yet? After scanning a package it takes you to a screen where you select business or residence before proceeding to the release options. I'm told that if you select residence and get a sig, there are other options to choose from such as leasing office. Haven't seen it but it is being tested in select locations. Probably to cut down on confusion about where the person who signed for it was. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bit of CYA in it too.

59 Dano

That was my first thought too. But if they get a full release from the customer, maybe their butts are already covered. If true, this has "disaster' written all over it.

The door tags say, "By my signature, I agree that FedEx will not be liable for any loss or damage that results from leaving this shipment." If the customer grants a full release, that's their problem. A courier should always use good judgement, but in the end if the customer releases FedEx from any and all liability from doing what the customer asks, tough.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The door tags say, "By my signature, I agree that FedEx will not be liable for any loss or damage that results from leaving this shipment." If the customer grants a full release, that's their problem. A courier should always use good judgement, but in the end if the customer releases FedEx from any and all liability from doing what the customer asks, tough.

OK, so what happens when the 11 year old kid takes the package full of meth or one that contains a handgun and bad things happen? "Tough" isn't going to be a valid response.

59 Dano

Sure. You are really in another galaxy on this one Zardon.

For FedEx to be at fault, you'd have to demonstrate that it was negligent. In order to prove that, you'd have to make a case that FedEx owed a duty of care to the recipient, and that it breached that duty. You prove that by showing that FedEx should have known that the package was a gun or drugs and failed to exercise reasonable care to keep a package that was known to be dangerous out of the hands of a kid whom it should have been known would probably steal it. Add to that a signed statement that the recipient absolves FedEx of any liability of any loss or damage from leaving a package at the residence.

I know you wish it weren't that way, but it is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For FedEx to be at fault, you'd have to demonstrate that it was negligent. In order to prove that, you'd have to make a case that FedEx owed a duty of care to the recipient, and that it breached that duty. You prove that by showing that FedEx should have known that the package was a gun or drugs and failed to exercise reasonable care to keep a package that was known to be dangerous out of the hands of a kid whom it should have been known would probably steal it. Add to that a signed statement that the recipient absolves FedEx of any liability of any loss or damage from leaving a package at the residence.

I know you wish it weren't that way, but it is.

OK, since a manager has now told me, it must be true. Doesn't mean it's smart.

SmithBarney

Just ask for this "policy" in writing(complete with MGR signature and senior manager sig) so you can add it to your employee manual.. ;)
They'll leave you alone, I promise.

That's the rub according to my friend at that station. He said if no signature required, you MUST leave the package at the apartment or office, OLCC or warning are mandatory if package is a send-again...

SmithBarney

OK, so what happens when the 11 year old kid takes the package full of meth or one that contains a handgun and bad things happen? "Tough" isn't going to be a valid response.

We don't ship handguns to residence's and they are to be shipped ASR to shops holding a FFL(some houses do have gun collectors who hold FFL, but none in my area)... if there is an undeclared weapon in the box, it is the shipper's liability.
as for the undisclosed illegal drugs(most legal controlled substances are shipped ISR/DSR) again undeclared would still fall on the shipper.

I've never had issues with apartments, I have almost 100% of the time released if I deemed safe. My policy is for any single apartment complex I'll
release until I'm told not to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We don't ship handguns to residence's and they are to be shipped ASR to shops holding a FFL(some houses do have gun collectors who hold FFL, but none in my area)... if there is an undeclared weapon in the box, it is the shipper's liability.
as for the undisclosed illegal drugs(most legal controlled substances are shipped ISR/DSR) again undeclared would still fall on the shipper.

I've never had issues with apartments, I have almost 100% of the time released if I deemed safe. My policy is for any single apartment complex I'll
release until I'm told not to.

I have delivered to apartment complexes where I absolutely know the package would disappear if I released it. I'm aware of all the regs, but they are regularly ignored, so it wouldn't be out of the question to find a gun, drugs, hazardous chemicals/posions etc. I just think it's irresponsible given the fact that some of these packages will fall into the hands of a child, and then bad things most definitely will happen.

newgirl

Maybe the camera feature is ready to go in the wonderful, efficient powerpads and we are going to take pictures when we leave pkgs at apt doors. Great. I hope the test station isn't in Honestyville Iowa. I can't imagine leaving a pkg outside an apt door in some of the bldgs I deliver to. Did anyone watch Frontline and listen when MT3 said "listen to this next thing I say very carefully?" Kind of sounded like a code 8 is an RDL and we will have to do reatts. Most of my code 8's are apartments, the rest are ISR/DSR. So, new policy everything gets left, no reatts no RDLs--win-win. If the leasing office is one that won't sign then it's drop and go.

59 Dano

OK, since a manager has now told me, it must be true. Doesn't mean it's smart.

It's smart when you look at the likelihood of the scenario you initially presented (a kid stealing a box of drugs or a gun and does something bad with them). I don't know of a single reported incident of what you've described happening from one of our resi releases.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's smart when you look at the likelihood of the scenario you initially presented (a kid stealing a box of drugs or a gun and does something bad with them). I don't know of a single reported incident of what you've described happening from one of our resi releases.

Neither do I, but it's certainly plausible.If I leave a box unattended in a building with 50 apartments (in a complex with 1000 units)it's only a matter of time until some kid gets ahold of the wrong package.

59 Dano

Neither do I, but it's certainly plausible.If I leave a box unattended in a building with 50 apartments (in a complex with 1000 units)it's only a matter of time until some kid gets ahold of the wrong package.

We leave millions of resi pkgs each year w/out it happening... If you don't think it's a good idea to release a pkg, don't do it. You're making this more difficult than it has to be.