Peak 2019 started this Sunday!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I guess so, but somehow they got a competent seasonal driver in my area who isn't afraid of dogs and the darkness that falls sooner this time of year.

Even though my vehicle is under the 10,000 weight limit, don't need a DOT# on my box truck, & I'm exempt from the 70 HOS... I will not work 7 days/week

Last year, it was a crap fest due to little training & had 3 drivers in my area quit on the spot.

If he wants to stay after peak, he can cover my route 3 times a week ( & can be a utility driver, running bulk for another 2), while I can cut my work week to 4 days if I choose to scale back

It will be fine

Doesnt sound like it. They are. Orion you seem like a good worker. I dont know why you are wasting your time at a dead end job. Apply at UPS as a seasonal and maybe you get lucky.
He’s left alone to do his job that he clearly takes pride in. Why would he want to punch a clock and deal with harassing management and teamster coworkers? To maybe get better compensation after 4 years at best in exchange for a lower quality of life? Hate to break it to you but driving for UPS is just as dead end as his current gig.

MAKAVELI

He’s left alone to do his job that he clearly takes pride in. Why would he want to punch a clock and deal with harassing management and teamster coworkers? To maybe get better compensation after 4 years at best in exchange for a lower quality of life? Hate to break it to you but driving for UPS is just as dead end as his current gig.
He works probably just as hard as any UPS driver without the pay or benefits. He should be paid for that type of work ethic. He's just cheating himself at the end of the day.

vantexan

Great healthcare, retirement, and $80k+ a year is as dead end as FedEx Ground? Seriously?

bacha29

1. Don’t BS us.

2. Don’t BS yourself.
What is going on here is a race to the bottom of the cheap freight rate trucking business. Materially assisting in the process are these "entrepreneurs" as X likes to call them, multi route contractors whose two fold task is to bust both the wage and benefit standards the Teamsters are fighting to preserve and efforts by the Teamsters to gain additional workforce representation.

Now they're doing this with the belief that they're reward in the end is the ability to unload the mess they helped to create onto some poor unsuspecting slug who doesn't know what he's getting into for some ridiculous price that's many times more than what the contract's worth leaving the new guy with a completely eviscerated rate structure and a local labor pool completely devoid of workers willing to go through the daily hell running a Ground route in exchange for fast food wages and zero benefits.

The only problem with this way of thinking is that once a pattern of margin erosion is established along with a horrific driver turnover due to low wages and zero benefits the investor class who to this point was been the price maker when it comes to buying up contracts may decide to look elsewhere in their quest for return on investment.

bacha29

I guess so, but somehow they got a competent seasonal driver in my area who isn't afraid of dogs and the darkness that falls sooner this time of year.

Even though my vehicle is under the 10,000 weight limit, don't need a DOT# on my box truck, & I'm exempt from the 70 HOS... I will not work 7 days/week

Last year, it was a crap fest due to little training & had 3 drivers in my area quit on the spot.

If he wants to stay after peak, he can cover my route 3 times a week ( & can be a utility driver, running bulk for another 2), while I can cut my work week to 4 days if I choose to scale back
It's quite clear that you are hoping for a certain specific outcome that is favorable to you and the plans you have. The trouble is pal a rather long series of events none of which you have any control over has to fall in line at exactly the right time, the right place and exactly the right order in order for the outcome you want to see happen to occur.

That guy you're talking about is going to do what is in his best interest and he's not going to give a rodent's expletive about what happens to you.

ManInBrown

You’re a funny guy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

nice spin

even though you know it’s not true

OrioN

Yup, star got the gist of it.

My old subcontractor gave me that box truck and area that I was servicing for a few years now. The neighboring drivers have similar work ethics and we actually trade boxes if they're closer to it.

On the current lineup, my route is now the fourth easiest out of the 12.

@MAKAVELI , nope, I'm no where close to the standard UPS package mule that's driving a p1000/ p1200 & being pushed to knock out 30 stops/ hour. I do get my share of oversized / iCs / irregs , but knows when to roll it out the back bumper or to use my 2 wheeler... like this past Saturday's washing machine.

& after~70 various routes & a number of subcontractors, this one fits me well.

gaining area knowledge and staying in the same boundaries of my route makes this totally stress free! I'm getting done 2+ hours now since I know where to ignore the suggested sequence of my stops and not driving thru the same roads twice.

It's not a back breaking area, but it has it's white-knuckle driving in winter months.

I'm all set for my own retirement so working here, Amazon, UPS or even FXE is a non-issue

until management starts pestering me with little things like "slow down! you're going to hit a deer or wild turkey in BFE!" They knew how fast I was going at the barren farmlands via the new scanners

These BCs have to know their drivers and routes and adjust to them, since we're not UPS who can dq a struggling driver that's not taking up to speed with a route in a week (scratch).

OrioN

That guy you're talking about is going to do what is in his best interest and he's not going to give a rodent's expletive about what happens to you.
Rob, shrugs, I see this every peak season... nothing new.

If he/she is young, I'll emphasize that this is only for a weekly paycheck & to keep aiming higher.

For u drivers in a p1000+, I have no idea why u are not trying to get with UPS. Wait, actually know a few who went that route after they finally got fed up with this particular pay scale.

If I see someone not making more than me and is schlepping way more packages in a p1000 vs my little 12' box truck, I'll tell them to try brown if u can keep up with the abuse

Last edited: