Peak 2019 started this Sunday!

vantexan

Yes. Dead end, nowhere else to go. You don’t advance to anything beyond truck driver. You’re at the end of the dead end. Where are you getting lost?
I got lost when you said UPS was just as dead end as Ground. There's a huge difference between just getting by and being able to have a life, whether you advance or not. Most people are content with not advancing but want to take care of their family and not starve in their old age.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
He’s left alone to do his job that he clearly takes pride in. Why would he want to punch a clock and deal with harassing management and teamster coworkers? To maybe get better compensation after 4 years at best in exchange for a lower quality of life? Hate to break it to you but driving for UPS is just as dead end as his current gig.
He should work at ups because at 52 you can collect your pension and enjoy life. At fedex he’s gonna have to work until he dies in the driver seat.

It will be fine

Tell me, just exactly what career advancement opportunities within your so called "company do you have to offer your truck drivers?
Not many, it’s a dead end job. I have a handful of management positions that quality people move into. Most people do the job for a year or two and move on. It’s too physically demanding to do long term. My first driving job was for another contractor and I turned it into President of a multi million dollar company. I would not have had that opportunity had I started at UPS.

It will be fine

He should work at ups because at 52 you can collect your pension and enjoy life. At fedex he’s gonna have to work until he dies in the driver seat.
I guess you’re not paying attention. He doesn’t need the job for retirement. Do you believe driving for UPS is far more stressful than Ground? How much time is average until someone drives and gets to full scale at UPS? It’s not always worth it.

MAKAVELI

I guess you’re not paying attention. He doesn’t need the job for retirement. Do you believe driving for UPS is far more stressful than Ground? How much time is average until someone drives and gets to full scale at UPS? It’s not always worth it.
I'm guessing as long as he's been with ground, even starting part-time, he'd be driving and topped out at UPS. It is well worth it if one stays in this industry for a length of time.

vantexan

Most people do the job for a year or two and move on. It’s too physically demanding to do long term.
Before there was Ground many Express employees drove stepvans and delivered a lot of boxes. Did that for many years, including working the sort on both ends and volunteering for Saturdays. It was demanding, but I think a lot of us were motivated by good healthcare and a traditional pension. And I suspect Ground employees who leave are asking themselves why they are killing themselves for so little?

bacha29

Not many, it’s a dead end job. I have a handful of management positions that quality people move into. Most people do the job for a year or two and move on. It’s too physically demanding to do long term. My first driving job was for another contractor and I turned it into President of a multi million dollar company. I would not have had that opportunity had I started at UPS.
" President of a multi million dollar company" Hahaha! You're just another scab trucker whose job it is to demolish the living wage structure the Teamsters are trying to preserve while spearheading the race to the bottom of the cheap rate freight business creating a cheap wage , war of attrition where nobody wins including XG contractors who will eventually find themselves caught under a collapsing rate structure and a work force collectively unwilling to work for bottom feeder wages in an industry that was once widely known and respected for it's family sustaining wages and family protecting benefit plans.

No form of communication travels faster than word of mouth and the word is out on FXG as evidenced by the scores of help wanted ads posted on nationwide job boards by desperate contractors. Good luck with that given that the posted pay rate is the same as it was 5 years ago except in cases where in an effort to make it look better than it actually is a per stop rate based on an impossibly high number of stops made during the day.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

stressful? I’m a teamster. As long as I don’t steal anything this job is easy peasy. I don’t understand drivers that stress out. It’s 4 years to top rate. With full benefits, $40 and hour and a pension id say being a ups driver is career, being a fedex ground driver is a waste of time.

It will be fine

" President of a multi million dollar company" Hahaha! You're just another scab trucker whose job it is to demolish the living wage structure the Teamsters are trying to preserve while spearheading the race to the bottom of the cheap rate freight business creating a cheap wage , war of attrition where nobody wins including XG contractors who will eventually find themselves caught under a collapsing rate structure and a work force collectively unwilling to work for bottom feeder wages in an industry that was once widely known and respected for it's family sustaining wages and family protecting benefit plans.

No form of communication travels faster than word of mouth and the word is out on FXG as evidenced by the scores of help wanted ads posted on nationwide job boards by desperate contractors. Good luck with that given that the posted pay rate is the same as it was 5 years ago except in cases where in an effort to make it look better than it actually is a per stop rate based on an impossibly high number of stops made during the day.
I’ve never been better staffed than this peak. I currently have too many trained people, but cool story.

It will be fine

stressful? I’m a teamster. As long as I don’t steal anything this job is easy peasy. I don’t understand drivers that stress out. It’s 4 years to top rate. With full benefits, $40 and hour and a pension id say being a ups driver is career, being a fedex ground driver is a waste of time.
Both jobs are a waste of time. Both will destroy your body. Making it a career is a mistake. UPS pays you more but the result is the same.

Whither

Scofflaw
Is it?

We are not curing cancer or performing brain surgery. We are delivering Amazon to entitled milleniels.

Ground has proven that the market for our job is closer to the $20-25/hr range.

Wow. I would say stop giving a rat's arse about the market because it doesn't give one about you, but it's obviously too late in your case.

Imagine if upstate had been on the negotiating team: "Our first offer is a 40 percent pay cut for all RPCDs." UPS: "Deal!"