Pension contribution question

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So Cal

Yes, West Coast.

Peer 80

Left at 49

YUP just started Junior College

Friend got on and said come on and join! He then QUIT!

Never thought I would have been there to retire!

Still can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there apparently during the Golden Years???

Choices ya gotta Love CHOICE"S!
Love it… I’m just about where you were at when you left it all behind…gotta be honest, I’m getting excited thinking about it..

Re-Raise

Probably not any different than the mistakes we all made before stepping on that brown box.
There are a lot of places for an old guy to start. This isn’t one of them! A pension down the road for him won’t pay enough to make it worth it. I had 31 yrs in here already at 52 and I considered quitting most weeks

AnthonyW848

I'm only 1 year older than AnthonyW and I've been retired just shy of 4 years. Can't even imagine starting now. My body aches just thinking about it!
i hear you! and my body aches also but i've got to do what i got to do, and my family really needs the benes until kids finishes college or decide what they want to do as a career, it cool and i hope these 10 to 13 years go by quickly, by the way i was officially sworn into the local 174 union yesterday! I was originally hired on at UPS to be a driver but chose to start by working my way up from being a package handler as i wanted to lose some weight and get into better shape for this demanding job, btw when i 1st started into UPS i weighed 265lbs and am now down into the 235ish pound range with about 20 more pounds to go. also my A1c is within a normal range now

AnthonyW848

I can't even imagine starting this job at age 52!

At 52, I had already been retired from UPS almost 3 years.

More power to you! It wouldn't have been anything I would have ever done!

NOT saying it can't be done! Careful you don't hurt your self for life as many have.

Best of Luck!
i am very careful and always seek help when something is just too heavy for 1 person.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
i hear you! and my body aches also but i've got to do what i got to do, and my family really needs the benes until kids finishes college or decide what they want to do as a career, it cool and i hope these 10 to 13 years go by quickly, by the way i was officially sworn into the local 174 union yesterday! I was originally hired on at UPS to be a driver but chose to start by working my way up from being a package handler as i wanted to lose some weight and get into better shape for this demanding job, btw when i 1st started into UPS i weighed 265lbs and am now down into the 235ish pound range with about 20 more pounds to go. also my A1c is within a normal range now
By product of the work.

AnthonyW848

no mistakes made other than i went to school to become a pharmacy technician and it was great up until about 2016 when all of these young ignorant introvert non english speaking pharmacists starting poping up from underneath every nook n cranny and messing things up and making the profession so messed up and undesirable to even want to be a part of! I got REALLY fed up with the particular companys attitude towards patients and praising these youngster pharmacist idiots, it took me a good 4 years of harsh cold abuse and i decided it's time for me to move on to a new career, it's all good though because the pharmacy community lost a more than capable, sane, hard worker and UPS has gained me! I'm grateful for the opportunity at UPS

Re-Raise

It is insane to me how this job has changed since the mid 80s when I was hired. They only hired young ..mostly college kids..for part-time positions. Then it took YEARS to actually become a full-time driver.

Many were DQd trying.

Granted this job paid $9 hour for part-time 35 yrs ago when minimum wage was about $3.25. That would be like offering $30+ now..

Good luck! You seem like you have a good attitude, but there is NO WAY they would have hired someone 50+ in age and 75 pounds overweight to do this job back then.

I don’t recognize this company anymore.

It is insane to me how this job has changed since the mid 80s when I was hired. They only hired young ..mostly college kids..for part-time positions. Then it took YEARS to actually become a full-time driver.

Many were DQd trying.

Granted this job paid $9 hour for part-time 35 yrs ago when minimum wage was about $3.25. That would be like offering $30+ now..

Good luck! You seem like you have a good attitude, but there is NO WAY they would have hired someone 50+ in age and 75 pounds overweight to do this job back then.

I don’t recognize this company anymore.
They have a hard time getting people to stay.
Or having people that actually care about doing a job the correct way

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
There are a lot of places for an old guy to start. This isn’t one of them! A pension down the road for him won’t pay enough to make it worth it. I had 31 yrs in here already at 52 and I considered quitting most weeks
I retired @ 52.
I can't believe any center or hub would process anyone over 40 for any job.

AnthonyW848

I retired @ 52.
I can't believe any center or hub would process anyone over 40 for any job.
wow, us more mature people need places to work too, i worked for UPS when i was in college as a driver helper back in 1990, but for some reason or another would not keep me on after the peak season, i tried and tried always stopping by the hub and asking if they needed any help and i was a lean 165ish back in those days. anyhow fast forward to todays times I'm happy to be down with brown once more

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
wow, us more mature people need places to work too, i worked for UPS when i was in college as a driver helper back in 1990, but for some reason or another would not keep me on after the peak season, i tried and tried always stopping by the hub and asking if they needed any help and i was a lean 165ish back in those days. anyhow fast forward to todays times I'm happy to be down with brown once more
Not much driver hiring at that time. I got on as a casual in 90. Ended up on the list a couple of years later. World of difference from 1990 to present.