permanent layoff

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
as a matter of fact one of them was there. this was a couple months ago, before peak actually that he said that but he continued to use me for peak. as soon as the conversation ended i asked my steward about filing a harassment grievance but was told that they dont really do anything
What????!!!?? What local are you in. Is it a RTW state??? Are you in the union? Do you pay dues????

No , ba stands for Buisness Agent. You need to physicaly go to your union hall and speak to your ba personally, then, you need to be in touch with your hall on a daily basis and file a new grievance every day you do not work, you should have your union rep informed this is a major problem and you want it resolved ASAP.
thanks for the advice, ill definitely be reporting back tomorrow. prior to him 'laying me off' i never ever had a tuesday off.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
i've been with ups for five years now as a cover driver. recently we got a new boss and he told me to find a new job because i was the most worthless human being he's ever met. since the second week of january i've been 'laid off', or so he says, the issue is that there are three drivers with less seniority that have worked every single day. i've already filed grievances but my question is, is there anything that can be done to ensure i work? the boss knows i've filed grievances and when i call a supervisor to ask if theres a route for me everyday i ask if there are working people under me and they tell me yes but as per the boss i'm 'laidoff'. because grievances take ten months minimum to get paid on it's just killing me right now because obviously the boss has no fear of grievances if he's knowingly doing this. what can i do? is there any protection in the contract for extreme harassment like this? if he acknowledges that he's breaking the contract and not working me I feel like i should be getting paid every single week until he realizes that if he's gonna end up paying me he might as well work me. also, has anyone here ever filed a grievance for harassment? what does this actually get you? i have yet to do that because nothing really gets done anyway, all i want is to be working again as im on unemployment right now barely making ends meet, plus im required to apply to a ton of jobs a week because im on unemployment, i dont want another job, i just want to do my job and have everything go back to normal.

Ok, I will ask...why did he say you are worthless human being (allegedly) or should I say what did you do or didn't do?

Before anyone pounds the keys trying to reply - what's that got to do with it - I don't agree with the way he is being treated.

What????!!!?? What local are you in. Is it a RTW state??? Are you in the union? Do you pay dues????
yup im in the union, actually just went to a union meeting a week ago.

@Brownslave688 i know how things work...... the problem is that the steward has a good relationship with the center manager and i think thats deeply affecting this situation. theres really nothing else i can do, they know that their working people under me and nobody cares.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

@Brownslave688 i know how things work...... the problem is that the steward has a good relationship with the center manager and i think thats deeply affecting this situation. theres really nothing else i can do, they know that their working people under me and nobody cares.
Even if you're "laid off" you have a right to get hours on other shifts.

Ok, I will ask...why did he say you are worthless human being (allegedly) or should I say what did you do or didn't do?

Before anyone pounds the keys trying to reply - what's that got to do with it - I don't agree with the way he is being treated.
i was on a route that i created. and what i mean by that is, when they hired me they had me start covering a couple routes in a small poor city, being new and trying to impress management i absolutely killed the city routes that they were putting me on. they ended up getting rid of a route in the city because i was able to do the work of two routes, take a full lunch, and still have an hour to spare to wait for boxes. over the past couple years the city has had a huge boom in population and businesses, on my route there were over 20 businesses that moved to the city and 5 apartment complexes were built ALL on the route i was on. anyways, all the extra businesses made it much more difficult to get the route done. i told management that the route needed to be fixed but was ignored. then came a state holiday, they cut the only other route that did businesses in the city and on that holiday i was sent out with a truck loaded front to back with 130 business stops and 50 residential. i told them before i left that they messed up and i was gonna miss a ton of businesses and was told to 'get it done'. that day i missed 30 businesses and didnt take a lunch. ever since then i've had a target on my back.

Even if you're "laid off" you have a right to get hours on other shifts.
i worked the preload for a few days during the second week i laid off. after the fourth day and realizing that i shouldn't be coming in for $11/hr for 4 hours while they work guys under me i decided i'd rather sit on my ass at home then go in for those 4 hours because when the grievances get paid theyd most likely deduct any time i worked anyway so i'd be working for no reason.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i worked the preload for a few days during the second week i laid off. after the fourth day and realizing that i shouldn't be coming in for $11/hr for 4 hours while they work guys under me i decided i'd rather sit on my ass at home then go in for those 4 hours because when the grievances get paid theyd most likely deduct any time i worked anyway so i'd be working for no reason.
Yeah but it looks good that you were willing to work.

It's not going to look good that you decided to sit home and get paid.

This unfortunately happens. The steward is blowing the center manager and vice versa. Get on the phone with your business agent. And go to work tomorrow and DEMAND your 8 hrs. Ask for a broom if they refuse to work you.

El Correcto

god is dead
I'd just go into work, lift up my elbows and start bumpin people. File every time they don't let me. Go home and drink a beer sit on my ass and wait for my pay out.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If your first job was as a driver, it sounds like you're FT. If on the other hand you were hired as a PT preloader though, and have just been assigned to cover routes then you're PT. Which one of these sounds most like your original situation when you were first hired?

542thruNthru

I have never seen someone hired off the street to be a PT cover driver. We have PT cover drivers here. If you are hired off the street here to drive it's always a FT position.

PT Car Washer

I have never seen someone hired off the street to be a PT cover driver. We have PT cover drivers here. If you are hired off the street here to drive it's always a FT position.
We have seasonal drivers but at the end of the season (either Peak or Summer vacation) they are gone. Not sure what a PT cover driver means.

542thruNthru

We have seasonal drivers but at the end of the season (either Peak or Summer vacation) they are gone. Not sure what a PT cover driver means.

Where I am a PT cover driver was made to just cover vacations during peak times and work during peak. They are technically pt inside workers.

The union let it get out of hand and PT cover drivers are now used as cheap FT drivers. They have no rights.
No 8hour request
No 9.5
No bidding on routes

We have cover drivers that have been driving for 8 - 10 years. So technically your job title can't really be cover driver. But I've read many things on here that has told me every place is different.