permanent layoff

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If PTers are being continually used to fill FT jobs, they can file to create more FT positions since there is already work established. Should be an easy win, if the local takes it seriously.

542thruNthru

If PTers are being continually used to fill FT jobs, they can file to create more FT positions since there is already work established. Should be an easy win, if the local takes it seriously.

It's been attempted. Never happens though. I honestly don't know why.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
That's what dues are paid for. Either there's some local arrangement or the issue hasn't been pushed high enough. The typical threat from UPS would be "go ahead and file, but if you win all this wonderful pt cover driver work will disappear and go to ft" but in reality there would be actual more FT positions to do the work if it was enforced.

35years

Gravy route
i absolutely killed the city routes that they were putting me on. they ended up getting rid of a route in the city because i was able to do the work of two routes, take a full lunch, and still have an hour to spare to wait for boxes.
Hmm...
Somehow I think perhaps there is more to the story.
A center manager who won't let this guy work who does 16 hours of work in 7 hours because of one messed up day which was not his fault???
Hmm...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's what dues are paid for. Either there's some local arrangement or the issue hasn't been pushed high enough. The typical threat from UPS would be "go ahead and file, but if you win all this wonderful pt cover driver work will disappear and go to ft" but in reality there would be actual more FT positions to do the work if it was enforced.
A part time TCD who works 156 reports in a year creates a full time position in the South. Happens every year here. In reality it's just a way for them to stall on creating a full time spot they should have made a year ago. The silver lining is the cover drivers keep their pay rate when they go FT. Keeping the $29+ an hour sure beats the garbage 4 year progression.

Dr.Brownz

i was on a route that i created. and what i mean by that is, when they hired me they had me start covering a couple routes in a small poor city, being new and trying to impress management i absolutely killed the city routes that they were putting me on. they ended up getting rid of a route in the city because i was able to do the work of two routes, take a full lunch, and still have an hour to spare to wait for boxes. over the past couple years the city has had a huge boom in population and businesses, on my route there were over 20 businesses that moved to the city and 5 apartment complexes were built ALL on the route i was on. anyways, all the extra businesses made it much more difficult to get the route done. i told management that the route needed to be fixed but was ignored. then came a state holiday, they cut the only other route that did businesses in the city and on that holiday i was sent out with a truck loaded front to back with 130 business stops and 50 residential. i told them before i left that they messed up and i was gonna miss a ton of businesses and was told to 'get it done'. that day i missed 30 businesses and didnt take a lunch. ever since then i've had a target on my back.

Business as usual you mean....

Faceplanted

During the recession here in the south, we were owed 3 full time spots. 2 years came and gone, 4 people filed for these spots, nothing ever came of it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
During the recession here in the south, we were owed 3 full time spots. 2 years came and gone, 4 people filed for these spots, nothing ever came of it.
We just had a few retirements and right now our center is owed 5 FT driver spots.

Sadly, none of the new millennial kids want it. They don't like that it requires you to work Monday-Friday.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
If the OP has exhausted his union remedies then it appears he is free to file with the NLRB.
And he should.

There is no excuse that this is happening to him if this is the complete story.

Also the center manager needs to be "laid off" too if this harassment is the case.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sadly--- that don't surprised me one bit.
I know of PT's who want to go FT, but refuse to drive. They'd have been FT years ago. They understand it will take 2-3x longer to get a FT job. I think it is more telling of the crapola job FT driving is and has become, rather than the millennial kid argument.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know of PT's who want to go FT, but refuse to drive. They'd have been FT years ago. They understand it will take 2-3x longer to get a FT job. I think it is more telling of the crapola job FT driving is and has become, rather than the millennial kid argument.

So just how do these kids think they can become full time if they don't want to drive? That makes no sense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So just how do these kids think they can become full time if they don't want to drive? That makes no sense.
There are new FT inside or inside/air jobs created every year, mostly in our hub. Mostly "kids" 22-32, but there are older PT's who do it for the pension credits and LTD option.

rod

Retired 22 years
There are new FT inside or inside/air jobs created every year, mostly in our hub. Mostly "kids" 22-32, but there are older PT's who do it for the pension credits and LTD option.

So are these FT inside jobs at driver scale? (I come from a small center environment and never heard of this). (I'm leaving myself wide open for one of Upstate's brilliant comebacks).