permanent layoff

Overpaid Union Thug

The OP needs to let it be known to the sups, with a union witness, that he is available to work. When a junior TCD works he should then file for a seniority violation and to be paid for all hours that the junior TCD works at the OPs current rate of pay for TCD.

By The Book

I know of PT's who want to go FT, but refuse to drive. They'd have been FT years ago. They understand it will take 2-3x longer to get a FT job. I think it is more telling of the crapola job FT driving is and has become, rather than the millennial kid argument.
Or, by getting the part timers these raises they are content living in mommys basement.

Yeah but it looks good that you were willing to work.

It's not going to look good that you decided to sit home and get paid.
i am willing and able to work. like i said, every single day i call the center and they tell me theres no work for me. the hours for preload and such dont work with my schedule anyways as i've got other obligations in life.
Hmm...
Somehow I think perhaps there is more to the story.
A center manager who won't let this guy work who does 16 hours of work in 7 hours because of one messed up day which was not his fault???
Hmm...
i'm trying to stay as vague as possible so that i cant be identified. everything in this posting has been true. i have one other theory as to why the center manager hates me, however it is just a theory i've come up with as to why he dislikes me. the theory actually has nothing to do with ups, just a similar situation we have in our personal lives where i have bested him.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
i am willing and able to work. like i said, every single day i call the center and they tell me theres no work for me. the hours for preload and such dont work with my schedule anyways as i've got other obligations in life.

i'm trying to stay as vague as possible so that i cant be identified. everything in this posting has been true. i have one other theory as to why the center manager hates me, however it is just a theory i've come up with as to why he dislikes me. the theory actually has nothing to do with ups, just a similar situation we have in our personal lives where i have bested him.

I don't care whether he likes you or not. If you have filed a grievance everytime a lower seniority person works and you don't, it is out of your center manager hands. Labor takes over on grievances.

There is no excuse for your BA not to hear these grievances locally within 5 days. Even if they are deadlocked locally, which they shouldn't be, a clear seniority violation, they should make the next State Panel.

If it is your BA not scheduling these grievances to be heard, you need to file labor charges against your BA. That should light a fire under his butt to get them heard on a timely basis.

If it is UPS stalling, your BA needs to send them to the State Panel, skipping the local level and lighting a fire under UPS's butt.

It should not take 10 months to get paid on a seniority violation grievance. It should be heard within 5 days and paid within 10 days after the hearing, with an agreement to follow seniority practices in the future so this does not happen.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't care whether he likes you or not. If you have filed a grievance everytime a lower seniority person works and you don't, it is out of your center manager hands. Labor takes over on grievances.

There is no excuse for your BA not to hear these grievances locally within 5 days. Even if they are deadlocked locally, which they shouldn't be, a clear seniority violation, they should make the next State Panel.

If it is your BA not scheduling these grievances to be heard, you need to file labor charges against your BA. That should light a fire under his butt to get them heard on a timely basis.

If it is UPS stalling, your BA needs to send them to the State Panel, skipping the local level and lighting a fire under UPS's butt.

It should not take 10 months to get paid on a seniority violation grievance. It should be heard within 5 days and paid within 10 days after the hearing, with an agreement to follow seniority practices in the future so this does not happen.
What about over 9.5 penalty pay grievances? Should they take 3 months (or more) or is my BA and/or local screwing us on that? I've always thought it was ridiculous to have to wait that long.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Actually depends on how many years you have in. For me it would be more than a $10 an hour pay cut. For someone with ~30 years in $5-$6 is more like it.
How is that so? If you are red-circled, you'll make your PT inside rate which could be, say, $45/hr for a 22.3 inside position.

As an air driver/inside combo, you'd make the higher rate inside and $30/hr for air driving, which could be a pay cut; I understand that.

No. They are combo jobs inside.
Article 40 combo jobs can be air/inside.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What about over 9.5 penalty pay grievances? Should they take 3 months (or more) or is my BA and/or local screwing us on that? I've always thought it was ridiculous to have to wait that long.

Yes, that is too long.

About 2 or 3 years ago, the national panel was sitting on thousands of 9.5 grievances.

They got them settled, and they should now be paid as any other grievance. Local hearing within 5 days and payment within 10.

Either your local is sitting on them, or UPS is stalling your local. Either way, 3 months is ridiculous.

Here, they are paid within 15 days. Heard locally within 5, and checks received within 10 days after the hearing.

You need to have a one on one with your BA.

35years

Gravy route
How is that so? If you are red-circled, you'll make your PT inside rate which could be, say, $45/hr for a 22.3 inside position.

As an air driver/inside combo, you'd make the higher rate inside and $30/hr for air driving, which could be a pay cut; I understand that.

Article 40 combo jobs can be air/inside.
What?
$45 per hour...What?
Are you talking overtime rate?
Are you telling me some 22.3 inside positions make $45/hr straight time???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What?
$45 per hour...What?
Are you talking overtime rate?
Are you telling me some 22.3 inside positions make $45/hr straight time???
Yeah, if your PT rate is higher than the top rate, it's red-circled. For ex: a feeder driver, or even part-timer with 40 or 50 years in is going to make a lot more than $30/hr, even as 22.3.

35years

Gravy route
Wow.
Must be a local/regional thing.
I never heard of a part time position paying more per hour than a driver at full scale, even before the 1982 contract.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah, if your PT rate is higher than the top rate, it's red-circled. For ex: a feeder driver, or even part-timer with 40 or 50 years in is going to make a lot more than $30/hr, even as 22.3.
That's why I said it depends on how many years you have in. $45 an hour is pushing it. Maybe someone with 50 years in but let's be real there are very few of those.

My inside rate would likely be about $20 an hour. That's why I said it would be over a $10 an hour pay cut for me.

PT Car Washer

That's why I said it depends on how many years you have in. $45 an hour is pushing it. Maybe someone with 50 years in but let's be real there are very few of those.

My inside rate would likely be about $20 an hour. That's why I said it would be over a $10 an hour pay cut for me.
As a red circle PT with 38 years my unskilled PT rate is $32.80/hr. Skilled would be $33.85/hr. There could be some minor differences around the country but I doubt if anyone is making $45/hr straight time.

upschuck

If you bid on a 22.3 and have already gone through your driver progression, you get top rate for 22.3, which is $28-$29 or so. You do not have to go through progression twice.