Personal car deliveries

MattM

So PVDs will most likely have to meet at a meet point and will or won't have a diad? This screams sketchy. Will a uniform be required?

I hate that USPS has people out out of uniform delivering. I always assume they are stealing packages. How will PVD help? Random cars driving around and stopping? That would get the cops called everyday where I drive.

They'll also most likely start their day at 2pm-9 to 10 and do residential only, right? Are FTers losing work because of these guys.

Do they have to pass a physical? Do they have to pass driving school? Why would anyone do PVD if the same perks are there for regular season driving. I guess I don't get the appeal unless they're skirting the handbook somewhere.

So PVDs will most likely have to meet at a meet point and will or won't have a diad? This screams sketchy. Will a uniform be required?

I hate that USPS has people out out of uniform delivering. I always assume they are stealing packages. How will PVD help? Random cars driving around and stopping? That would get the cops called everyday where I drive.

They'll also most likely start their day at 2pm-9 to 10 and do residential only, right? Are FTers losing work because of these guys.

Do they have to pass a physical? Do they have to pass driving school? Why would anyone do PVD if the same perks are there for regular season driving. I guess I don't get the appeal unless they're skirting the handbook somewhere.
And if they get into an accident?

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun

Here we just always had seasonal helpers for 14/hr or whatever. First time they are doing this pvd. So it would make sense for someone to do it and make more money. They have to use their own insurance so I doubt they don’t have to pass a physical or anything.

MattM

I'm just trying to grasp how or why someone would choose PVD over using a company vehicle. All this contractor work is sketchy

GrubHub, Uber, Uber eats. All of them. Personal vehicle maintenance and upkeep will never make less than $25/hr worth it, ever.

I even see pizza delivery guys using their new cars to deliver. They can't be making much back after wear and tear and even gas money.

They may be able to skirt the ups driving laws by using PVDs. And for those that can’t qualify for a real seasonal driver, they’re giving us options. Is that what we really want? A second tier driver. Yikes.
And the pay rate is the same? They’re really going lowest denominator here

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
I'm just trying to grasp how or why someone would choose PVD over using a company vehicle. All this contractor work is sketchy

GrubHub, Uber, Uber eats. All of them. Personal vehicle maintenance and upkeep will never make less than $25/hr worth it, ever.

I even see pizza delivery guys using their new cars to deliver. They can't be making much back after wear and tear and even gas money.

They may be able to skirt the ups driving laws by using PVDs. And for those that can’t qualify for a real seasonal driver, they’re giving us options. Is that what we really want? A second tier driver. Yikes.
Again if they don’t offer for someone to use a company vehicle making 21/hr plus 59cents per mile isn’t that terrible for a few months.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

Nobody looks at it from anything other than day to day anymore. These same people finance a 10 yr old car for 84 months just to say they got a new ride.

bacha29

PVD gets in accident and kills an entire family.

Hope the PVD has commercial insurance
After paying off a multi million dollar claim involving a guy hauling Amish in this old barely legal van which blew a tire jumped the medial, hit a semi head on killed the guy along with 4 or 5 Amish, State Farm issued a statement that basically said "If we catch you SOB's doing this we'll cancel your policy and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law and God help you if you're in a wreck doing this and try to file claim".
When I saw the local UPS station running an ad for PVD's I asked my State Farm agent if the policy had changed. Her answer was a cold and firm....."No!"
Lets' face it.....It's insurance fraud pure and simple. More importantly if you have a nice car do you really want to subject it to having it stuffed full of boxes and sent it out to the jing weeds? The IRS standard mileage rate is $ 0.53 per mile and that would barely cover it.

clean hairy

Hope if they get loaded up at a meet point, the drivers give them stops in the worst part of the hood.
Imagine 1 of these folks stopping to ask for directions.
Imagine as well, these cruising their territory.

PT Car Washer

PVD drivers do not use a DIAD. They use a smart phone type of thing. They take it home with them and the delivery information is sent over the cell system. Same way with their delivery stops. They usually get a UPS jacket and cap and maybe a magnetic sign for their vehicle identifying them as UPS. Not everyone wants to get a chauffeurs license and pass a physical for a job that last a month or maybe not old enough. Just a temp job for a few weeks.

PT Car Washer

Hope if they get loaded up at a meet point, the drivers give them stops in the worst part of the hood.
Imagine 1 of these folks stopping to ask for directions.
Imagine as well, these cruising their territory.
Their delivery device has the route already mapped out if you want to follow it. Girl last Peak followed it right down a level B minimum maintenance road after a thaw. Took hours to get her out and did over $2k in damage to her car. UPS told her they were not responsible for damages.

PT Car Washer

I wonder how many of them will be driving a Nissan Altima with all the bells and whistles.
The two that I dropped their stops off at last year drove a Chevy Equinox and a Buick small SUV/minivan thing. Perhaps you should come back for Peak this year so your post can be more up to date.

rod

Retired 22 years
The two that I dropped their stops off at last year drove a Chevy Equinox and a Buick small SUV/minivan thing. Perhaps you should come back for Peak this year so your post can be more up to date.
No way---I like posting outdated stuff. I'd much rather be outdated on UPS than still be hanging around there after 40+ years