Personal car deliveries

rod

Retired 22 years
Doesn't fit your example.
All you mentioned is paying to park.
Nothing about relinquishing control of your keys.
Even if you give your keys to a valet and they park your car. If a thief takes your catalytic converter the valet is not responsible for the actions of a thief.
Someones gots to pay

ManInBrown

I couldnt believe it. Had to pull an air trailer to my old building this morning where I did package. Took meal and came off and there were 15-20 personal vehicles inside the building loading packages. Lol. What a bunch of sellout MFers the union is. I know there are PVDs but seeing with my own eyes was a shocker.

TerryLee

I just signed up to be a PVD but have not been called for a shift yet. When I went to orientation I saw at least 30 personal vehicles being loaded around 11 am.
I signed a paper joining the Teamsters and agreeing to weekly dues, but not the initiation fee. The gig will be over the first week of January.
I am semi retired and drive part time Uber and Lyft. I do have extra coverage on my personal insurance. UPS’s insurance will kick in if my insurance gets maxed out if I am at fault.
I am a bit concerned about the negative feelings about temp PVD workers. I was required to join the same union as permanent workers. Seems the negative feelings should be directed at the union, not the employee.

MattM

90% of the PTers I know had wanted to be some type of driver. But they either couldn't make the cut or they set some crazy standards and got cut. Inside guys easily would've wanted to do this and or driver help

The standards for PVDs is so low yet so high for the average driver/cover driver. There may be some jealously from real union workers who can't work. It's a bad situation all around

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I am a bit concerned about the negative feelings about temp PVD workers. I was required to join the same union as permanent workers. Seems the negative feelings should be directed at the union, not the employee.

I don't harbor any ill-will towards my PVD. He's working to feed his family. I take issue with the brain-dead insiders on the preload who screamed about getting a raise and then didn't bother to vote on the last contract.

MattM

How bad is it? Upsers.com has an ad for a $1,000 referral bonus for PVDs.

I'll PVD!

Will the union eventually let inside guys do it? Sounds like they'd rather give thousands away than to let us sniff $21/hr

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are only 7 (8?) days left-----it is way too late to train the insiders and add them to the mix of PVD's.

If you are already getting 8-10 hours on the inside there is no way that they are going to put you on road for an additional 8-10 hours.

If you want extra $$$$ you can be a helper.

MattM

Actually the PVD notification I saw mentioned perfect attendance through December 31st. So they're extending things whether we like it or not.

They're willing to train outside guys. They just may be pushing them to 10-12 hr days and real deadlines and such. I wonder if the $1,000 bonus includes OT on hours worked.

Lines are being crossed for sure. What's the driver helper deadline? Like January 15th? Otherwise it's driver pay. At some point PVDs just need to be off the road and let drivers obtain their 30.

MattM

There are many furious seniority drivers in my area. They're PVDing all of their rural 30 stop/9 hr routes and giving them 500-600 residential stops in the city. Now BOTH drivers don't know where they're going. Why do they insist on switching things when things get crazy?

They've earned those easier routes. I live in a bigger state with cell phone reception only in the 4-5 major areas. So knowing the rural ins and outs is key. What a cluster of crap.

I like the warning, holidays may be required. There's only one holiday left. Are PVDs gonna be working Christmas day to ensure their $1,000 bonus is maintained?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, PVD's will NOT be required to work on Christmas Day.

It makes sense to give the rural stops to the PVD's and let the "real" drivers bang off the in-town residential stops with their helper.

You are focusing way too much on the $1K bonus, which works out to about $700 after taxes.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
It makes sense to give the rural stops to the PVD's and let the "real" drivers bang off the in-town residential stops with their helper.

That's backfired at my center. We don't have many rural PVDs but the ones that we do have struggled all month. Putting packages at the wrong farmhouse a mile away, saying ":censored2: it" and putting packages in mailboxes, getting stuck or lost etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyone who has ever run a rural route has gotten stuck at one time or another and, yes, many have used a mailbox rather than go down their mile long "driveway". The key was to make sure the mailman had already been there; while most rural mail carriers were cool, there were those who would bring any packages from other carriers left in "their" mailboxes back to the Post Office and then call the carrier to have them come and pick them up.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Anyone who has ever run a rural route has gotten stuck at one time or another and, yes, many have used a mailbox rather than go down their mile long "driveway". The key was to make sure the mailman had already been there; while most rural mail carriers were cool, there were those who would bring any packages from other carriers left in "their" mailboxes back to the Post Office and then call the carrier to have them come and pick them up.

Personal experience?