Personal Electric Vehicles

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
You should buy one. Usually the problem is one bad cell, and they sell for less than $40.00.

No need for one, my FedEx subcontractor allows me to go straight home after work! (12 miles from the service area, 30 miles from the terminal)

I only use my personal car for local errands. Have to pour fuel stabilizer in the tank & drive it around the block on Sunday so the fluids circulated. And hook up the automatic battery charger monthly, just in case

Plus, electrical work is my weakness, u mess up & u may die hooking the wires incorrectly

clean hairy

No need for one, my FedEx subcontractor allows me to go straight home after work! (12 miles from the service area, 30 miles from the terminal)

I only use my personal car for local errands. Have to pour fuel stabilizer in the tank & drive it around the block on Sunday so the fluids circulated. And hook up the automatic battery charger monthly, just in case

Plus, electrical work is my weakness, u mess up & u may die hooking the wires incorrectly
There is a channel on you tube "Hoovies Garage"
He bought an older Prius with a bad battery pack and replaced it himself. The reconditioned pack was $1,200 if I recall correctly.
I would for a couple hundred a shop could replace the battery pack.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There is a channel on you tube "Hoovies Garage"
He bought an older Prius with a bad battery pack and replaced it himself. The reconditioned pack was $1,200 if I recall correctly.
I would for a couple hundred a shop could replace the battery pack.

barnyard

KTM rider
All electric Fiat 500s are coming off lease and selling for right in the $5k range. 2 friends own them and a couple more are looking at them. I have a 21 mile round trip to the building. My wife's commute is about the same. We put a new breaker box last year and thought about adding a car charging circuit to the garage while we were at it.

I am not sure what the mileage equivalent would be here, where it is cold. My friend in Raleigh, NC says that her car is over 50 mpg equivalent. She has charging stations at work and there are charging stations all over DT Raleigh.

I have seen charging stations in the Mpls/St Paul metro, but only 2 or 3 in my area. There are Tesla quick charge stations on the I94 corridor, including at least 1 in my area. There are no charging stations in the area where I deliver.

We could easily replace 1 of our cars with an e-car, but need to have the range of a gas car for seeing our daughters and pulling a small trailer on vacation.

If my building installed a charging station, we would probably buy a plug in hybrid.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
All electric Fiat 500s are coming off lease and selling for right in the $5k range. 2 friends own them and a couple more are looking at them. I have a 21 mile round trip to the building. My wife's commute is about the same. We put a new breaker box last year and thought about adding a car charging circuit to the garage while we were at it.

I am not sure what the mileage equivalent would be here, where it is cold. My friend in Raleigh, NC says that her car is over 50 mpg equivalent. She has charging stations at work and there are charging stations all over DT Raleigh.

I have seen charging stations in the Mpls/St Paul metro, but only 2 or 3 in my area. There are Tesla quick charge stations on the I94 corridor, including at least 1 in my area. There are no charging stations in the area where I deliver.

We could easily replace 1 of our cars with an e-car, but need to have the range of a gas car for seeing our daughters and pulling a small trailer on vacation.

If my building installed a charging station, we would probably buy a plug in hybrid.

If one has a short commute, something like the Fiat you mentioned or a used Nissan Leaf would be a perfect second or even a third car.

rod

Retired 22 years
I like a car or truck that gets with it when you need to merge onto the interstate. "friend"a bunch of no power-takes 3 miles to get up to speed economy sissy cars. Give me POWER baby.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I like a car or truck that gets with it when you need to merge onto the interstate. "friend"a bunch of no power-takes 3 miles to get up to speed economy sissy cars. Give me POWER baby.

You need to drive an electric or hybrid car some day. 100% torque at zero rpms.

They 'go' quickly, just not for very long.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You need to drive an electric or hybrid car some day. 100% torque at zero rpms.

They 'go' quickly, just not for very long.
I wish they were cost effective vs high mpg affordable gas cars, I'd be all over them. I'll be in the market for a new car in about 5 years hopefully there will be some affordable options by then.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wish they were cost effective vs high mpg affordable gas cars, I'd be all over them. I'll be in the market for a new car in about 5 years hopefully there will be some affordable options by then.

We need more smaller diesel powered cars. Some of those get over 50 mpg.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We need more smaller diesel powered cars. Some of those get over 50 mpg.
the more options the better for the consumer
all that volkswagen dieselgate bad publicity really set back that option
i don't think car companies are going to invest much in diesel tech anytime soon

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I've yet to see a Prius that could get out of its own way. Maybe its just the tards that drive them.
I think they don't want to engage the gas engine& wants to stay on electric power as long as possible

barnyard

KTM rider
I've yet to see a Prius that could get out of its own way. Maybe its just the tards that drive them.
You need to try a Fiat 500. They get out of their own way and then some. Plus, they do it almost silently. The range is advertised at 125. Both friends are getting 150-175 per charge. They are in the south, where it is warm though. Their heaters are electric, so when it is cold, it costs range to keep the car warm.

My wife's current commute is under 20 miles round trip. No charging station where she works either.

brownelf

I would like a free gas pump in the lot too, good luck with getting free electricity from a company that will try to fire you for stealing if you plug in your radio to recharge overnite.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I've driven a number of them in the last there years, and trust me, they will boogie if you want them to.

Funny timing here, @rod. Six of us (plus a van) took cars to auction this morning. I ended up with a Prius, and pulled 45+mpg running at least 5mph over the limit all the way. The newer ones are very solid and comfortable. It wasn't a bad ride at all.

When we got there, we found we had one to bring back. I volunteered so I didn't have to ride home in the van.

It turned out to be a Maserati GT Sport coupe.;)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I would like a free gas pump in the lot too, good luck with getting free electricity from a company that will try to fire you for stealing if you plug in your radio to recharge overnite.
Never seen anyone fired for what you just stated....”stealing”