Personal Vehicle Deliveries(peak)

BUCN85

Today at PCM it was announced that during peak UPS will hire people to deliver out of their personal vehicle. Stops will be dropped off for them and they will deliver using an app on their phone. They will get paid $18.75hr 52 cents a mile and $5 a day for cell phone use. This is crazy. Doesn't seem like a good idea

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Today at PCM it was announced that during peak UPS will hire people to deliver out of their personal vehicle. Stops will be dropped off for them and they will deliver using an app on their phone. They will get paid $18.75hr 52 cents a mile and $5 a day for cell phone use. This is crazy. Doesn't seem like a good idea
Never work. Your car insurance company will not let you do this.

ManInBrown

Union better be all over this like flies on sheet

Don't send me on some wild goose chase in January with 42 DFU's everyday

Anyone getting this one in their center? They're now sending us out with driver follow ups for sure post packages that were delivered to the post office. Why am I doing the mailmans job? Let the USPS do those follow ups

OptimusPrime

Horrible idea if true. How would you even dispatch this stuff? Even if the persons car could hold 25 packages, that wouldn't even be a complete neighborhood in a lot of areas and wouldn't put a dent in our workload. And if Amazon is any example, it seems the people that take these kinds of jobs always drive ramshackle beaters on bald tires. Mass call ins, accidents and slide offs with bad weather, all the misdeliveries. The reasons why this is a bad idea just go on and on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Horrible idea if true. How would you even dispatch this stuff? Even if the persons car could hold 25 packages, that wouldn't even be a complete neighborhood in a lot of areas and wouldn't put a dent in our workload. And if Amazon is any example, it seems the people that take these kinds of jobs always drive ramshackle beaters on bald tires. Mass call ins, accidents and slide offs with bad weather, all the misdeliveries. The reasons why this is a bad idea just go on and on.
You better be in your pressed Browns with ups socks on and a clean shaved face.

But it's ok if these guys look like duck dynasty wannabes driving demolition derby cars.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Oh they don't care. You'll just be filing for bankruptcy if you get in an accident and hurt someone.
IMG_0240.PNG

Box Ox

Just another dumb thing the Company can point to in convincing shareholders they're staying current with Gig Economy-based delivery services. Just like ORION and that pop top truck drone thing. Won't matter whether it actually works or not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Never work. Your car insurance company will not let you do this.
Yes they do ... I know a couple of couriers that use their personal cars.
I also know a guy that delivers rush car part orders out of his car.
Some of the Amazon drivers delivers to my house in their personal cars.
This is in Georgia ... don't know about other states.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Somewhere in the contract "When an Employee uses their personal vehicle while in the service of UPS, the Employer will provide all insurance coverage"
Not exact wording, but something to that effect.
Yea , I did it back in the day for next day air. The paid me like .33 a mile also. But I was already an employee. This seems like it could get complicated

Brownslave688

Yes they do ... I know a couple of couriers that use their personal cars.
I also know a guy that delivers rush car part orders out of his car.
Some of the Amazon drivers delivers to my house in their personal cars.
This is in Georgia ... don't know about other states.
You're not even supposed to deliver pizza without special insurance.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You're not even supposed to deliver pizza without special insurance.
Agreed but that was not the claim that was made ... this was the claim, "Your car insurance company will not let you do this."
The claim was that you can't use personal car insurance.
In Georgia, you purchase a Rider for your personal insurance.
This is easy stuff ... couriers, Uber drivers, pizza/food delivery, etc.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

Agreed but that was not the claim that was made ... this was the claim, "Your car insurance company will not let you do this."
The claim was that you can't use personal insurance.
In Georgia, you purchase a Rider for your personal insurance.
This is easy stuff ... couriers, Uber drivers, pizza/food delivery.
Well ron isn't the best with words.