Phone charging devices

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you surf the web at lunch?
How do you watch videos?
How do you listen to custom radio and music?
How do take 4K video and 16mp photos?
How do you call in a lunch order from a restaurant you haven't been to before and don't know the number or what is on the menu?
How do you reference something when it pops up in your head and you need to know about it?
How do you find out exactly where you are if you happened to get lost and there's no point of reference anywhere in which a paper map would help?
There's trillions of other functions but you get the idea.

You do all of this while you are "working"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can't get the best phones for free or cheap. If it isn't a flagship device, it isn't worth getting. In the phone world that's how it is.

My "piece of crap" iPhone 4 does everything that I want it to do.

You will find when you grow up that you don't need the "latest and greatest".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But, your car is more 'premium' than his.

It has all the bells and whistles.

$850 is about what I take home on a weekly basis. Do you really think that I would spend an entire week's take home on a cell phone just because it is the best on the market?

Truth be told, if not for the grandkids, I would have no problem going back to a flip phone.

JL 0513

My "piece of crap" iPhone 4 does everything that I want it to do.

You will find when you grow up that you don't need the "latest and greatest".

I'm like that with most things, but a phone that I use so heavily for so many things it makes a big difference. If you were to try out an iPhone 7, it would be day and night.

I have a 2 & 4 year old and the camera advances are reason enough. Photos on a cheap or old phone don't come close.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm like that with most things, but a phone that I use so heavily for so many things it makes a big difference. If you were to try out an iPhone 7, it would be day and night.

I have a 2 & 4 year old and the camera advances are reason enough. Photos on a cheap or old phone don't come close.

...and if Verizon is willing to let me upgrade for free I just might do it....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It has all the bells and whistles.

$850 is about what I take home on a weekly basis. Do you really think that I would spend an entire week's take home on a cell phone just because it is the best on the market?

Truth be told, if not for the grandkids, I would have no problem going back to a flip phone.

(I was teasing JL 0513. Not you.)

JL 0513

...and if Verizon is willing to let me upgrade for free I just might do it....

Only time I see carriers offering something like an iPhone for free is if you switch to their carrier. So if you're on Verizon right now, AT&T might give you a free one, for example.

km3

How do you surf the web at lunch?
How do you watch videos?
How do you listen to custom radio and music?
How do take 4K video and 16mp photos?
How do you call in a lunch order from a restaurant you haven't been to before and don't know the number or what is on the menu?
How do you reference something when it pops up in your head and you need to know about it?
How do you find out exactly where you are if you happened to get lost and there's no point of reference anywhere in which a paper map would help?
There's trillions of other functions but you get the idea.

How did you survive before smartphones? Good god man.

km3

You can't get the best phones for free or cheap. If it isn't a flagship device, it isn't worth getting. In the phone world that's how it is.

I recommend researching the OnePlus 3. That's what I have. Spec-wise, it goes toe-to-toe with almost every flagship...for only slightly more than half the cost.

km3

I did for many years, but is it not much better having the world at your fingertips? I don't think we'd go back to horse and buggy even though it got you from point A-B.

I don't deny that smartphones can make our lives better in many ways, but for me at least, they haven't gotten to the point of being a necessity either. I broke my Samsung last year during peak. Insurance refused to cover it for less than what I could've gotten an upgraded phone for.

I didn't have the money so I reactivated an old flipphone I had laying around and used that for 8 months. It wasn't exactly life changing.

JL 0513

Yes, that silly stigma ended up benefiting me greatly. A great phone for a relatively low price. Beats paying top dollar otherwise, IMO.

The vast majority of phones are manufactured in China. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with OnePlus, just that there's a reason they can sell for less.