Picking up volume while we strike

ContainmentIssue

Just thought it was interesting that my Hub just started today calling all UPS stores around my area telling them that even if we do strike they'll still pick up the volume....ok.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just thought it was interesting that my Hub just started today calling all UPS stores around my area telling them that even if we do strike they'll still pick up the volume....ok.
Plenty of non union workers, to process a few pieces, plus RTW drivers to deliver. They are non union too.

Will the UPS store not alert customers?

ContainmentIssue

Plenty of non union workers, to process a few pieces, plus RTW drivers to deliver. They are non union too.

Will the UPS store not alert customers?
Are they expecting to contract enough feeders across the country to move this stuff? And it seems to me they just want to keep taking the customer's money and not alert them to delays or non deliveries until it actually happens.

browned_out

Plenty of independent truckers out there to pull any kind of load. Didn’t Ups buy Coyote Logistics? Seems this would be something they would try to leverage during a strike. Still remains to be seen if they could even unload/load any trailers without part timers

Thebrownblob

Plenty of independent truckers out there to pull any kind of load. Didn’t Ups buy Coyote Logistics? Seems this would be something they would try to leverage during a strike. Still remains to be seen if they could even unload/load any trailers without part timers
They will undoubtably be able to find some people to pull those loads and it will pile up at the giant hubs, and become a nightmare. People don’t even realize how many small centers are all over the country out of the way who’s going to take those? Going to unload those if he’s going to deliver all of that stuff in the network? It’s a logistical nightmare.

moldsporh

My ups store asked if we were going to strike, I said the consensus is we are not, they said they haven't heard anything from our center about any plans or talk about changing anything.....I'm sure we won't be privy to any talk anyway.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Actually consolidating as much pickup volume to the UPS stores is smart. It will best allow them to leverage the resources they do have. As far as coyotes, just read online how squeezed out independent truckers are in this economy. We all know UPS will be throwing wads of money at them to insure that volume keeps on moving.

JustDeliverIt

Friend of mine has a UPS store on his route. He asked last week if they heard anything, only reply they had was business as usual. The company has a contingency plan if there is a strike. Told the owner of the store that.

we can deliver what's in the system, slowly

continuing to pickup is lunacy, just getting enough drivers to make runs to the package centers alone is kinda daunting

there are so many unpredictable factors that could destroy an adhoc network like that; even the things I can think of answer for just ends up being more wasted time in the end