Policy for cameras

Star B

White Lightening
Or dab vasoline on the lens and remove it when you come off road. I’d have the engine off at both times.
oh, yea, the camera is smart enough to be able to tell when your looking away from the road but it won't be smart enough to scream at mgmt constantly the second the image becomes distorted and blurry for an extended period of time.....

the only way this will stop is
1) express loses too much money from lawsuits because of camera footage.
2) a SERIOUS union threat, like, couriers band together to petition the NLRB to reclassify Express as a trucking company because... that's what it is. Last time I checked we weren't putting cameras in all the tugs at the 'port.

MassWineGuy

You’re probably right. How would option 1 happen? Everyone is required to sign “agreements” that would, no doubt, nullify lawsuits.

Star B

White Lightening
um.... from the crash victims? You think that once the ambulance chasing lawyers find out that most, if not all of our trucks have cameras that they will settle for the little dollar settlements?

Hell no, they'll force discovery and get the footage from those cameras -- if it's erased between then, destruction of evidence.

One thing I've learned from having a dashcam and reading others experiences..... just because you can record the data doesn't mean it is wise.

Were you speeding when the car cut you off and slammed on the brakes? Well, it says, clear as day, you were doing 59mph in a 55. At fault. Without that piece of data on the video, you would have been able to argue that you were going the speed limit and they were 100% at fault.

Last edited:

falcon back

oh, yea, the camera is smart enough to be able to tell when your looking away from the road but it won't be smart enough to scream at mgmt constantly the second the image becomes distorted and blurry for an extended period of time.....

the only way this will stop is
1) express loses too much money from lawsuits because of camera footage.
2) a SERIOUS union threat, like, couriers band together to petition the NLRB to reclassify Express as a trucking company because... that's what it is. Last time I checked we weren't putting cameras in all the tugs at the 'port.
LOL

You can always dream. Good luck with your 2 options.

MassWineGuy

Great point about evidence and discovery, Star. I'm sure that scenario will happen. Then, as with so many other "good" ideas, FedEx will quietly stop using cameras.

Stat41

Still, if you placed your phone on the instrument panel against the speedometer, it would look like you’re looking down the road.

Or dab vasoline on the lens and remove it when you come off road. I’d have the engine off at both times.
Sunglasses. There is no way they can tell you not to wear them. I have prescription ones. Also wear the floppy Fedex summer hat. If the camera angle is high enough, the brim will obscure a lot of your face. Not that I have really given this any thought.... :wink2:

It will be fine

um.... from the crash victims? You think that once the ambulance chasing lawyers find out that most, if not all of our trucks have cameras that they will settle for the little dollar settlements?

Hell no, they'll force discovery and get the footage from those cameras -- if it's erased between then, destruction of evidence.

One thing I've learned from having a dashcam and reading others experiences..... just because you can record the data doesn't mean it is wise.

Were you speeding when the car cut you off and slammed on the brakes? Well, it says, clear as day, you were doing 59mph in a 55. At fault. Without that piece of data on the video, you would have been able to argue that you were going the speed limit and they were 100% at fault.
Oh no! The company that employs you to drive a commercial vehicle full of tens of thousands of dollars of cargo wants to be sure you’re following the law while you do it! Such a terrible imposition. Don’t speed, pay attention while driving and you won’t have any problem.

Working4the1%

Oh no! The company that employs you to drive a commercial vehicle full of tens of thousands of dollars of cargo wants to be sure you’re following the law while you do it! Such a terrible imposition. Don’t speed, pay attention while driving and you won’t have any problem.
Cause Ground is so safety focused. U do realize we have eyes...2 guys in a truck. 2 doors wide open. 2 guys no seatbelts. Standard Ground truck in my area. They take turns sprinting from stop to stop. :twister2::twister2::twister2::twister2::twister2::twister2:

Bringitback

I will agree with all of your statement. I just have one question, where did the trust go? When the internet was not a thing, technology not adequate. Corporate America had to entrust the employees to do the right thing, so where did all that go?

It will be fine

I will agree with all of your statement. I just have one question, where did the trust go? When the internet was not a thing, technology not adequate. Corporate America had to entrust the employees to do the right thing, so where did all that go?
Employers didn’t trust their workers any more. They just didn’t have the options to validate they have now. Cameras are everywhere and are becoming standard in the industry.

Bringitback

Employers didn’t trust their workers any more. They just didn’t have the options to validate they have now. Cameras are everywhere and are becoming standard in the industry.
Sir you are mistaken. People were kinder, stronger, and more emotionally attached to the work when less technology was available. The technology boom has disconnected the human factor. If you believe me and you are connected right now, you would be wrong. The truth is the government is the one trying to monitor the world in the name of "safety". The number one bull:censored2: industry in the world right now is "safety". It is a cop out to anything you say or do. Oh you didn't make SPH. Safety. You didn't feel up the truck. Safety. Name it. Safety. ***K you. Safety. Blah blah, keep it going. Safety.

Prove me wrong if you can, wait for it. Safety.

It will be fine

Sir you are mistaken. People were kinder, stronger, and more emotionally attached to the work when less technology was available. The technology boom has disconnected the human factor. If you believe me and you are connected right now, you would be wrong. The truth is the government is the one trying to monitor the world in the name of "safety". The number one bull* industry in the world right now is "safety". It is a cop out to anything you say or do. Oh you didn't make SPH. Safety. You didn't feel up the truck. Safety. Name it. Safety. ***K you. Safety. Blah blah, keep it going. Safety.

I didn’t realize you were talking about government conspiracies. Good luck with that, keep your eyes on the sky for those black helicopters.

Bringitback

I didn’t realize you were talking about government conspiracies. Good luck with that, keep your eyes on the sky for those black helicopters.
I say the word "government" in one sentence. And I am a conspiracy person? Am I the one that's a nut. Sounds like you are the one truly disconnected from the truth sir.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sir you are mistaken. People were kinder, stronger, and more emotionally attached to the work when less technology was available. The technology boom has disconnected the human factor. If you believe me and you are connected right now, you would be wrong. The truth is the government is the one trying to monitor the world in the name of "safety". The number one bull* industry in the world right now is "safety". It is a cop out to anything you say or do. Oh you didn't make SPH. Safety. You didn't feel up the truck. Safety. Name it. Safety. ***K you. Safety. Blah blah, keep it going. Safety.

“Safety“ or the attempt to train for it, is what hopefully gets them off the hook in an accident.

newgirl

"Safety, first, last and always. " Anybody remember the safety guy's name from Frontline?

Did y'all see the video of the fedex truck hittting the KAT bus in TN? I'd link but I don't know how. I think that situation is exactly why the cameras are coming.