Poll: Union or no Union?

Would you want to work for UPS without a union?

• Total voters

Ms.PacMan

Right to work states, failing pensions, push for productivity to name a few things discussed on this site. Pick your poison...

Ms.PacMan

Well, a comment about a possible revolt in one of the pension threads made me wonder so I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a non-union regional in my area. The drivers start at $14/hr and currently top out at $18/hour. UPS would LOVE to pay those kinds of wages.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Wanna know what ups would do to us?

Look no further than your ors

He pays for his health care and his wife has been kicked off

He has no pension just an 401k match

No 9.5

No nothin

No thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well Photog made a comment about a possible revolt in one of the pension threads so I thought I'd ask.
That was a quote (Note the "...") from the article that was posted by the member I quoted. No offence taken ... just wanted to clarify your remark.

Having worked for UPS in both a Union and non-union position, I would choose Union at this point.
It worked out great for me in management as I require a job with lots of creativity, innovation,variety and novelty.
If I had to do it for money, I could perform the manual labor job of a driver or inside package handler but I would probably go elsewhere prior to get trapped by the wages oat UPS.
In management, I saw a lot of our benefits stripped away as "enhancements" with no representation or negotiations.
I fully support collective bargaining but union members sell their souls to the Union bosses.

This is what I extracted from the article and you referenced:
"Prepare for a loud and possibly black swan style backlash as the union retirees and current members start to bail out of any union promoted investment program and demand the independence to vote on right to work laws in those states where the union exploitation has led to the demise of many a retiree’s nest egg at the most crucial and vulnerable part of their lives."

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ould-bankrupt-govt-pbgc.366846/#ixzz3pGD2j57z

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Or look at clerks. A couple of contracts back, they were allowed to join the union. In my building the morning clerk chose not to because her husband was anti-union. Her position was eliminated the end of that month.
And it could have been if she decided on the Union as well.
A.M. Clerks were on the hit list for many years to rein in costs.

Ms.PacMan

That was a quote (Note the "...") from the article that was posted by the member I quoted. No offence taken ... just wanted to clarify your remark.

Having worked for UPS in both a Union and non-union position, I would choose Union at this point.
It worked out great for me in management as I require a job with lots of creativity, innovation,variety and novelty.
If I had to do it for money, I could perform the manual labor job of a driver or inside package handler but I would probably go elsewhere prior to get trapped by the wages oat UPS.
In management, I saw a lot of our benefits stripped away as "enhancements" with no representation or negotiations.
I fully support collective bargaining but union members sell their souls to the Union bosses.

This is what I extracted from the article and you referenced:
"Prepare for a loud and possibly black swan style backlash as the union retirees and current members start to bail out of any union promoted investment program and demand the independence to vote on right to work laws in those states where the union exploitation has led to the demise of many a retiree’s nest egg at the most crucial and vulnerable part of their lives."

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ould-bankrupt-govt-pbgc.366846/#ixzz3pGD2j57z
Sorry. Didn't mean to misquote you. Still a worthy topic.

PT Car Washer

Ask any PT new hire what it is like to work at UPS for minimum wage and no benefits and no Union representation. If you can catch him before he walks out during break on his first day.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He pays for his health care and his wife has been kicked off
Paying for health insurance isn't some magically obscure thing. It's actually pretty common outside the world of UPS. Not to mention I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'd be willing to bet good money hourlies will have to pay some out of pocket by the time you retire.
He has no pension just an 401k match
The pension system is dying. Look at the Central States pension. It's a disaster. Another piece that's going the way of the dodo bird. I asked in NF a couple weeks ago if guys were planning on having their pension when they retire and I got an overwhelming nope.
We don't do anything according to 99% of the site. I can do nothing for 10 hours Monday-Friday without complaining.

newfie

realistically about a third of the company already does between management and clerical and SCS . There should probably be a third option that represents them.

newfie

We have a non-union regional in my area. The drivers start at $14/hr and currently top out at $18/hour. UPS would LOVE to pay those kinds of wages.

I'm sure they are headed that way. looks like they are already trying to dumb down the job.