Popped for DUI

over9five

Staff member
This is the only case where I think Seniority stinks.

If it happened to me, I don't think I could ethically keep the job. I could not work there knowing I was responsible for two people no longer bringing money home to their family.

I think the DUI guy should man-up and find a new career.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over, what generally happens is they find work for the FT employee and do not displace the two PT employees--at least that has been my experience in my center. But, if there is no work available, they do displace the PT employees in favor of the FT employee.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
just like that 80's hair band Cinderella sang..." Dont know what ya got till its gone"...... I rarely drink so I know this will never EVER happen again.. Lessoned learned.. In fact I feel like I should go around talking to others about this situation .. you are NOT invincible
Good for you!

The only way to learn is from mistakes.Even stug probobly regrets a few things he did.
Don't beat yourself up over it,it's unhealthy.Just move on a wiser man.
Why do you think I'm preaching? STUG is not without sin, at all.

So the guy with a DUI would still have a job while 2 innocents are now without one?

We reward the DUI guy and kick 2 good workers onto the street?
You just called the DUI person "not good" or better yet, BAD. Over, we all make mistakes, some small some big, depending on your perception. We may not agree with the way things are done, but that's why there's a rule book.

If it happened to me, I don't think I could ethically keep the job. I could not work there knowing I was responsible for two people no longer bringing money home to their family.

Wow, do you honestly believe this? I mean think about the economic impact on YOUR family. Just sayin...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Better go get your boots on, it's gettin pretty deep around here now.....

over9five

Staff member
You guys have no morals How could you drink and drive, and then work causing two people to lose their jobs.

I would not take two mens jobs because I drank and drive and lost my license. That is ethically wrong.

DS

Fenderbender
You guys have no morals How could you drink and drive, and then work causing two people to lose their jobs.

I would not take two mens jobs because I drank and drive and lost my license. That is ethically wrong.
You're right over9.He should kill himself.
His family should move to another state and never speak his name again.
Stop and think a sec.The OP was straight up even starting the thread,and from what I've read,
regrets his actions because he didn't stop and think a sec.
No harm was done and he seems to have learned his lesson.
As far as wanting to keep working,well,that may be because his family depends on him.
Give the guy a break.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Theoretically at least, your driving position would be filled by a part-timer, or by the lowest senior driver (who may himself have been going back into the hub/preload when no driving work was available) during the time that your license was suspended. The total number of available jobs does not change.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If Evans had only 5 drinks in 5+ hours and then ate a sub sandwhich he is far from a drunk. Just because the law throws up some arbitrary number doesn't mean everyone is affected the same way. Society needs to learn to seperate the guy stumbling out of a bar with a gallon of Vodka in his gut from the hard working cuss who had a couple drinks with dinner. We arrest people who had a few drinks because they might cause an accident. Maybe we should arrest everyone driving a Park Avenue or LaSabre because they might have an accident.

slantnosechevy

Does someone get a job driving a pc?
That's what happened in our bldg. One moved up and eventually gained seniority. The driver with the DUI worked split shifts and no one was displaced. He later returned to work after his DUI was reduced to a reckless driving charge 6 months later. He was also required to sign the customary "death notice" before being re-instated.

Re-Raise

just like that 80's hair band Cinderella sang..." Dont know what ya got till its gone"...... I rarely drink so I know this will never EVER happen again.. Lessoned learned.. In fact I feel like I should go around talking to others about this situation .. you are NOT invincible

I hope everything works out for you evans10.

I think you understand some of the anger directed at you from people who have lost loved ones at the hands of drunk drivers. It is justified.

I am not in a position to cast stones because I have occasionally had a few drinks golfing or playing cards and driven home. I don't drive drunk but I have probably been impaired, which would make me a danger to others.

This thread has been a wake-up call for me and I hope for others as well. It isn't worth it to risk everything I have built of my career and reputation. And more importantly it isn't worth it to risk hurting an innocent person.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If Evans had only 5 drinks in 5+ hours and then ate a sub sandwhich he is far from a drunk. Just because the law throws up some arbitrary number doesn't mean everyone is affected the same way. Society needs to learn to seperate the guy stumbling out of a bar with a gallon of Vodka in his gut from the hard working cuss who had a couple drinks with dinner. We arrest people who had a few drinks because they might cause an accident. Maybe we should arrest everyone driving a Park Avenue or LaSabre because they might have an accident.
evans is a 5' 98lb woman, does that make a difference in the " arbitrary number"? And do me a favor, take that fur coat off when you're driving, I think it impairs you.

I hope everything works out for you evans10.

I think you understand some of the anger directed at you from people who have lost loved ones at the hands of drunk drivers. It is justified.

I am not in a position to cast stones because I have occasionally had a few drinks golfing or playing cards and driven home. I don't drive drunk but I have probably been impaired, which would make me a danger to others.

This thread has been a wake-up call for me and I hope for others as well. It isn't worth it to risk everything I have built of my career and reputation. And more importantly it isn't worth it to risk hurting an innocent person.
+1

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
evans is a 5' 98lb woman, does that make a difference in the " arbitrary number"? And do me a favor, take that fur coat off when you're driving, I think it impairs you.

+1

It takes one hour to burn off one drink. Nobody gets drunk drinking a drink an hour. Doesn't matter what you weigh.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Over, the two PT employees don't lose their jobs. The displaced are found work by bumping down, possibly several bumps. They do perhaps lose their area assignment. As you know, with supervisors working all of the time, there is always work around, despite the lies that there is not.

No one has lost out on a job when a FT bumped inside, that I have seen. I have seen cases where PT have been an offered switching shifts, as well.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by threadkiller
It takes one hour to burn off one drink. Nobody gets drunk drinking a drink an hour. Doesn't matter what you weigh."

So many variables!!

"If you eat while you drink, the alcohol is absorbed more slowly into your bloodstream. In any case, studies have shown that impairment begins with the first drink.Alcohol affects everyone differently. If you rarely drink, you could be severely impaired by a single beer. For the most part, by the time you feel drunk, you're well past the legal limit."