Possible accident

Mo19072

Today I went up this house driveway that Ive never been to. I turned around, made my delivery and as I’m going back to the truck I noticed a dent on the gutter above the garage. What’s driving me crazy is that I don’t know whether or not i did it. I called the sup and he and my centre manager are both mad because I don’t know if I caused the dent. They said they will wait to hear from the customer. I wanted to cover my butt in case it was me and I done wanna get fired for an unreported accident. I know that I should’ve known whether or not it was me. Has anyone been in this situation? They can’t terminate me for not knowing can they?

watdaflock?

Being honest is always best. UPS needs every driver and then some right now. Don't sweat it, too much. At the worse, ya get an extra vacation come the new year.

But what the heck do I know...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’am no Sherlock Holmes but the first thing I’d look for is a paint scrape on the gutter or the pkg car. if they line up take a couple days off if they don’t carry on

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You just possibly opened yourself up to every future, new scratch noticings on whoever you park next to....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Today I went up this house driveway that Ive never been to. I turned around, made my delivery and as I’m going back to the truck I noticed a dent on the gutter above the garage. What’s driving me crazy is that I don’t know whether or not i did it. I called the sup and he and my centre manager are both mad because I don’t know if I caused the dent. They said they will wait to hear from the customer. I wanted to cover my butt in case it was me and I done wanna get fired for an unreported accident. I know that I should’ve known whether or not it was me. Has anyone been in this situation? They can’t terminate me for not knowing can they?
Nah, you happen to pick the exact spot another driver hit it and backed right into the dent, you’re all good bud.

Mo19072

Thanks everyone but I wanted to know if the fact that I don’t know if I did it or not is bad. If I did it and I’m charged it is what it is.

Whither

Scofflaw
So mgmt never showed up to the address to take a look? Was there any brown paint on the gutter?

I had a close call a while ago. Didn't hear a thing but at my next stop took a close look and found some faint scratches under the dust of my pkg car. I circled back and found some ambiguous marks on the object that left me in a bit of doubt ... also wanted to cover my *** and be up front re: why I had returned to the stop. So I called my supe and wound up waiting a long time for the center mgr to show. He decided no accident. The residents didn't answer the door and never responded to his note. Nothing came of it.

Final note: if you can't tell whether you'll be able to safely turn around, it's a good practice to walk off long driveways.

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks everyone but I wanted to know if the fact that I don’t know if I did it or not is bad. If I did it and I’m charged it is what it is.
You did the right thing reporting it. That you don't know isn't grounds for discipline. 'Not knowing' only gets you fired on grounds of dishonesty when the company has strong evidence that you should have known/did know. I've heard stories of drivers not reporting significant accidents then cracking under pressure -- "We see you stopped, turned off the car, and took off your seatbelt ..." One was lucky enough to be shown mercy at panel after 6 weeks off, and what did he do? A few months later he didn't report another accident. He didn't get a 3rd chance.

Mo19072

So mgmt never showed up to the address to take a look? Was there any brown paint on the gutter?

I had a close call a while ago. Didn't hear a thing but at my next stop took a close look and found some faint scratches under the dust of my pkg car. I circled back and found some ambiguous marks on the object that left me in a bit of doubt ... also wanted to cover my *** and be up front re: why I had returned to the stop. So I called my supe and wound up waiting a long time for the center mgr to show. He decided no accident. The residents didn't answer the door and never responded to his note. Nothing came of it.

Final note: if you can't tell whether you'll be able to safely turn around, it's a good practice to walk off long driveways.
The gutter is exactly the same color as the package car. No scrapes just a dent. Sups didn’t go to the scene wanted to wait if customer reports it.

Whither

Scofflaw
Sups didn’t go to the scene wanted to wait if customer reports it.
That's strange. So they just had you leave a note for the resident with the center's number? And you sent them photos of the gutter and where the pkg car might have struck it? Sounds like they must think you didn't cause the damage.

PT Car Washer

The gutter is exactly the same color as the package car. No scrapes just a dent. Sups didn’t go to the scene wanted to wait if customer reports it.
Home owner will probably think he did it with a ladder the last time he cleaned his gutters and most likely that is where the dent came from. You hit a gutter with a package car and you will crush it not put a little dent in it.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Never ask, never tell. In 10-days you hear nothing. You're good. You said you honestly don't know. So don't go poking around asking; "could I be guilty?"

Stay outta driveways (at least that one in the future).

Good Luck

ps; This only applies to something as ticky as a gutter ding. If you look in the camera and see a person laying on the ground behind you. Get out, possibly get help and find out.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Management checks telematics when there is a possible accident involving a driver. They‘ll go and look at the delivery the accident supposedly happened at. If the vehicle starts up to leave and then stops or stops suddenly, that’s an indication that the driver knows something might have happened. Turning the truck off and getting out to look. We had a driver years ago they tried to fire, because he hit a mailbox in the snow. The vehicle never stopped like it would if someone thought something might have happened. He claimed he had no idea he hit anything and telematics backed him up.

Scuderia

Management checks telematics when there is a possible accident involving a driver. They‘ll go and look at the delivery the accident supposedly happened at. If the vehicle starts up to leave and then stops or stops suddenly, that’s an indication that the driver knows something might have happened. Turning the truck off and getting out to look. We had a driver years ago they tried to fire, because he hit a mailbox in the snow. The vehicle never stopped like it would if someone thought something might have happened. He claimed he had no idea he hit anything and telematics backed him up.
That’s why you always run away! Lol

ManInBrown

That’s why you always run away! Lol
It’s natural instinct that as soon as you think something might have happened, to either slow down or stop completely and get out. Anyone that doesnt report an accident is a maroon. It’s almost impossible to be fired because of getting in an accident. You can be fired for not reporting one, although I’ve also seen drivers not even be fired for that. Short of killing someone it doesn’t happen. But so many drivers are scared little sissy’s that they get nervous about it.