Potential New Hire?

TheWholePackage97

So I’m considering making the jump from a USPS driver to a UPS package driver. I went to the tour of the building and got the opportunity to speak to HR. To cut it short, I was told I’d be brought in as a temporary driver during peak season and then I’ll be transferred to the warehouse. This would be all good if he didn’t tell me if I don’t make seniority, then I’ll be let go. I have two questions. Should I make the jump (I’m an RCA at USPS) and what do I need to do to gain seniority? Thanks!

Box Ox

So I’m considering making the jump from a USPS driver to a UPS package driver. I went to the tour of the building and got the opportunity to speak to HR. To cut it short, I was told I’d be brought in as a temporary driver during peak season and then I’ll be transferred to the warehouse. This would be all good if he didn’t tell me if I don’t make seniority, then I’ll be let go. I have two questions. Should I make the jump (I’m an RCA at USPS) and what do I need to do to gain seniority? Thanks!

Just in time to become a 22.4 someday. I’m sure you’ll love it and be glad you left USPS.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Stay at USPS

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Did the HR guy mention that you'd be a temporary driver at peak season, then let go once peak season is over. Then, perhaps get hired in the warehouse, usually not right away since there may be layoffs after peak. Also, that warehouse job would only be part time. Then after waiting in line by seniority for a driving job for perhaps years, you then have to pass school, and a probation period.

Stay at USPS....

If you were a CCA I would say stay at USPS. How long does it look like it will take to make career as a rural carrier? Even starting all over at UPS you might make get a full time driver position before you would if you stayed an RCA. Ever thought about switching to CCA?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Pay and benefits are better at ups. A regular package car driver makes about 7 dollars a hour more than a career city carrier.

One thing USPS has going for it is if you do make career carrier then it is virtually impossible to get fired

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Did the HR guy mention that you'd be a temporary driver at peak season, then let go once peak season is over. Then, perhaps get hired in the warehouse, usually not right away since there may be layoffs after peak. Also, that warehouse job would only be part time. Then after waiting in line by seniority for a driving job for perhaps years, you then have to pass school, and a probation period.

Stay at USPS....
of course they did not tell him that.

depending on what hub, you could be working weird hours in the hub from 1-10 years. absolutely NO guarantees with this company and if they move their lips they are lying.

another vote for staying USPS

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I think everybody here thinks USPS is cushy because it’s a federal job. That place can be every bit as horrible as UPS when it comes to harassment.

What they don’t know is that even if you make career ( very hard to do) the progression is twice as long and the top rate is even less than the proposed 22.4 pay.

Another thing they don’t know is even career USPS employees pay for their health care family plans run about 150 every two weeks.

What they don’t know is USPS career employees pay for their retirement. The way FERS works is you will pay a percentage of your income (figure 30-60 every two weeks)into retirement to get 1 percent per year of service of your top 3 years when you retire. So if your top year is 100k you get 30k a year.. oh and 100k won’t happen because the job tops at 60 or so and OT does not count. Plus the post office will match what you put in your TSP (401k) up to 5 percent.

All this is assuming you eventually make career, I have heard of people jerked around for years with no benefits as a CCA or RCA and none of that time counts as years of service

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If I were young I wouldn't be looking at either. I would be look into becoming an electrical lineman or another decent paying job with less BS.

Zowert

When USPS drivers hear how much we make at UPS many start to think lifting up to 150lbs wouldn’t be so bad.

I did not know postal workers had to pay into their own pension. I guess working for the federal government is not what I thought. I wonder what kind of retirement/pension the FBI, DEA, ATF, etc. get..?

Indecisi0n

I think everybody here thinks USPS is cushy because it’s a federal job. That place can be every bit as horrible as UPS when it comes to harassment.

What they don’t know is that even if you make career ( very hard to do) the progression is twice as long and the top rate is even less than the proposed 22.4 pay.

Another thing they don’t know is even career USPS employees pay for their health care family plans run about 150 every two weeks.

What they don’t know is USPS career employees pay for their retirement. The way FERS works is you will pay a percentage of your income (figure 30-60 every two weeks)into retirement to get 1 percent per year of service of your top 3 years when you retire. So if your top year is 100k you get 30k a year.. oh and 100k won’t happen because the job tops at 60 or so and OT does not count. Plus the post office will match what you put in your TSP (401k) up to 5 percent.

All this is assuming you eventually make career, I have heard of people jerked around for years with no benefits as a CCA or RCA and none of that time counts as years of service
Career at USPS , hahahahahahahahahabah