Power Pad Updates?

Pocoyo2xx9

Has anyone heard a thing about our Power Pads being updated? While ours grow cobwebs inside, UPS seems to upgrade their units every two years or so.
Hi, I just got hire as courier at FedEx. Can anybody tell me what is walk up in power pad is and how you do it and when?
Thanks in advance

MassWineGuy

Did you go to courier training yet? It may or may not have been mentioned. This isn’t really the right thread for your question, but...

A walk up is a pickup that is not listed on your pickup list. Literally, someone may walk up to you and hand you something labeled and ready to go. You request a walk up from dispatch, then pup it like any other stop. There are those unscrupulous souls who use walk ups to increase their stops per hour and reduce gap times. But oh my, that is wrong.

MassWineGuy

They are out there being used. We were told our station was too small to get them now. We might see them next summer, the sm said. Ground has them.

Star B

White Lightening
We were told after Peak we will get them. Our SM didn't want them before peak though, he said "let other stations crash and burn with the new tech bugs, I'll stick with what (normally) works this peak."

whenIgetthere

Did you go to courier training yet? It may or may not have been mentioned. This isn’t really the right thread for your question, but...

A walk up is a pickup that is not listed on your pickup list. Literally, someone may walk up to you and hand you something labeled and ready to go. You request a walk up from dispatch, then pup it like any other stop. There are those unscrupulous souls who use walk ups to increase their stops per hour and reduce gap times. But oh my, that is wrong.

And this is why we must provide an AB number when requesting said walk up.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And this is why we must provide an AB number when requesting said walk up.
Dispatch tried that crap on me.
“We have to have an address.”
“Look, lady stopped me in the middle of the street!”
“No address, no walk up.”
“Ok. 123 Main St, Anywhere, USA.”
Got my walk up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What difference does that make?

Couriers were getting a few pieces from a stop at ABC Co. at 123 Main St, asking for a walkup and scanning some of the packages under the ABC Co stop and the rest under the walkup - getting credit for 2 stops when they only made 1. The AWB number will also give you the account number. If you're fudging your stops, it is a way to detect it. Some areas still require the AWB# for a walkup, some don't.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Couriers were getting a few pieces from a stop at ABC Co. at 123 Main St, asking for a walkup and scanning some of the packages under the ABC Co stop and the rest under the walkup - getting credit for 2 stops when they only made 1. The AWB number will also give you the account number. If you're fudging your stops, it is a way to detect it. Some areas still require the AWB# for a walkup, some don't.
It still makes me laugh that anyone cares THAT much about numbers.

dezguy

Dispatch tried that crap on me.
“We have to have an address.”
“Look, lady stopped me in the middle of the street!”
“No address, no walk up.”
“Ok. 123 Main St, Anywhere, USA.”
Got my walk up.
Had someone leave a pl on my windshield while I was in a stop, one time. Fought with dispatch for a walk up because there wasn't an account number. Got fed up after about 4 or 5 back and forth messages and asked them if they were going to give me a walk up or if I was going to leave this thing on the side of the road. Got my walk up.

MAKAVELI

All of which is available when you close out the stop. Seems redundant, which makes sense when you are talking about FedEx.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume that you request the walk up to make sure the package gets an origin scan. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to either add it to a letter box pickup or a scheduled pickup stop? Is the credit that you get for the walk up really worth all of that effort?

dezguy

I assume that you request the walk up to make sure the package gets an origin scan. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to either add it to a letter box pickup or a scheduled pickup stop? Is the credit that you get for the walk up really worth all of that effort?
Yup.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Easier?

Since when has easier ever been a criterion at FedEx?