PRAYING FOR A STRIKE IN AUGUST !!!

brownIEman

Well then the company ( that you no longer work for if I remember correctly) needs to start treating us like human beings. It's not even really about the money which most would tell you. I'm sick of being treated like a dog and a liar every day I come into work.

Maybe corporate needs to open their eyes and see what we're really treated like in operations. Yes we make good money but so do lots of professions I'm sure they get treated with more respect then we do.

I literally have been told I'm a sack of S* by my center manager and other things by my ORS. But hey we get our fair share so we have to deal with it.

So your management was being nice to you, trying to build you up. Nice. You should hear things I was called by Managers and Division Managers. I have often said the secret to surviving management at UPS is to be able to be called a complete POS to your face and not take it personally.

I would love to see you get language that would get that culture changed. Here's the rub - the only way I can see that changing is if you get language with real teeth to squash that kind of harassment. The only way to make that work is to get the Union to agree to some production standard (not the current ones, they would have to work together to come up with reasonable ones) so the company would have the ability to hold drivers to some standard. So far, the union has successfully fought off ANY production accountability, so drivers who decide to sandbag and basically steal time from the company cannot be held accountable. You see posts on these boards all the time from drivers that do it and suggest it to others. The only recourse readily available to most front line management is harassment, and most peoples' wish to avoid it, to "stay below the radar" as it were. I agree the situation sucks, but that is what it is.

I get it, they have issues. I'm just saying there is a lot more delivery capacity outside of UPS now than there was 21 years ago. I am just hoping the vote no on any contract, strike no matter what the offer cheer leaders can understand it is a different market today.

As to the 130 pound trampolines, those are the first ones that will NOT be taken by the competition, so that when the strike ends, they will have all sat waiting for you to come back to work and your ratio of them to other packages will be that much higher. So you have that to look forward to...
How much volume are those over 70s? My guess is around 5%.

brownIEman

You have any links to back those figures up? Otherwise your just pulling numbers out of your ass. Typical I.E gobbledygook

Sure - An analysis of the transportation market - look under segment "Total US Domestic Package" you'll see UPS' market share listed as 23.38%

And 1997 - An article written in 1997 by a professor of economics. About half way down under the heading "Striking a Blow Against UPS Workers" The first paragraph in the section talks about UPS' 80% market share at the time.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Sure - An analysis of the transportation market - look under segment "Total US Domestic Package" you'll see UPS' market share listed as 23.38%

And 1997 - An article written in 1997 by a professor of economics. About half way down under the heading "Striking a Blow Against UPS Workers" The first paragraph in the section talks about UPS' 80% market share at the time.

Almost 40% of ground
Screenshot_2018-06-12-20-51-16.png

Your 23% comes against freight forwarding companies. .
Your numbers are BS

So your management was being nice to you, trying to build you up. Nice. You should hear things I was called by Managers and Division Managers. I have often said the secret to surviving management at UPS is to be able to be called a complete POS to your face and not take it personally.

I would love to see you get language that would get that culture changed. Here's the rub - the only way I can see that changing is if you get language with real teeth to squash that kind of harassment. The only way to make that work is to get the Union to agree to some production standard (not the current ones, they would have to work together to come up with reasonable ones) so the company would have the ability to hold drivers to some standard. So far, the union has successfully fought off ANY production accountability, so drivers who decide to sandbag and basically steal time from the company cannot be held accountable. You see posts on these boards all the time from drivers that do it and suggest it to others. The only recourse readily available to most front line management is harassment, and most peoples' wish to avoid it, to "stay below the radar" as it were. I agree the situation sucks, but that is what it is.
The numo suck and you don't get the right amount of credit for running or exchanging misloads or taking pick up volume off of another driver. Hell we don't even get the proper credit for half of our over 70's

And how about when management :censored2:s up our routes so bad, you can't run them in the proper order. How about getting out of the building late and running straight air??

brownIEman

How much volume are those over 70s? My guess is around 5%.

Could be. I don't believe the competition could ramp up enough to take more than around 70% or so of UPS' volume, and that only if the strike went a few weeks. And I can't imagine it going longer than that. I'm just saying it would be way more than it was last time.

Think about it. They would do what they did last time. Rent more equipment, hire temps and work their current workforce tons more hours, contract with more independent carriers for the feeder runs, rent air planes, etc. What they did not do is build more buildings, but all of our competitors have literally millions more square feet of hub capacity than they did back then.

One reality of the new ecomerce economy you are forgetting is that the spike in peak volume compared to rest of the year volume has gotten way larger than it ever was, so our competitors, like UPS have been building the ability to ramp up quickly and to a much larger capacity at the end of the year than they used to. As I have said, no way I see them moving it all, but they will move a much larger percentage of it than they did last time. And if they can hit 60-70% by the time a strike comes to an end, you will see a lot of that volume never returning to brown trucks. Just something to think about.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
An article written in 1997 by a professor of economics. About half way down under the heading "Striking a Blow Against UPS Workers" The first paragraph in the section talks about UPS' 80% market share at the time.
An article written by someone with an axe to grind against unions and he doesn't offer where he got those figures from.
download (3).jpeg

SMH

brownIEman

The numo suck and you don't get the right amount of credit for running or exchanging misloads or taking pick up volume off of another driver. Hell we don't even get the proper credit for half of our over 70's

And how about when management :censored2:s up our routes so bad, you can't run them in the proper order. How about getting out of the building late and running straight air??

Agreed, it is a crappy situation. Made only worse by the fact that the union has successfully fought any and all attempts to have ANY accountability for the sandbaggers. So, the easiest way to reduce sandbaggers is yell at people until they stop sandbagging. Sadly, the numbers have gotten so bad and the culture so friend-d up that then newer supervisors can hardly tell the difference between the honest effort drivers and the sandbaggers, and upper management is training them that they are all sandbaggers.

Agreed, it is a crappy situation. Made only worse by the fact that the union has successfully fought any and all attempts to have ANY accountability for the sandbaggers. So, the easiest way to reduce sandbaggers is yell at people until they stop sandbagging. Sadly, the numbers have gotten so bad and the culture so friend-d up that then newer supervisors can hardly tell the difference between the honest effort drivers and the sandbaggers, and upper management is training them that they are all sandbaggers.
And I get like a 15 second time allowance for dragging 3 65 pound Wayfair boxess up 15 steps....

brownIEman

And I get like a 15 second time allowance for dragging 3 65 pound Wayfair boxess up 15 steps....

Oh. No, that is way too much. I'll get with @TearsInRain and see if I can get that corrected.

I kid, I kid. Like I said, the union and the company would have to work together to find standards they can agree on. Could happen. 'course, we could all get magic unicorns to ride to work everyday too. About the same odds.

Oh. No, that is way too much. I'll get with @TearsInRain and see if I can get that corrected.

I kid, I kid. Like I said, the union and the company would have to work together to find standards they can agree on. Could happen. 'course, we could all get magic unicorns to ride to work everyday too. About the same odds.
Some stops I can sing off, others take way too much time. Let's not even talk about the preload....

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I disagree. It is an analysis of different segment of the transportation market. If you have better links, lets see them.
I'm not the one throwing figures around. Back your claims up with credible links, or stop spreading your anti union / pro management propaganda around in the union forums. Go peddle that :censored2: in the Partner forums

tourists24

Just a quick bit of math for all you strike no matter what cheer leaders.

In '97 UPS held about 80% of the small package market. Which means when we stopped moving packages, the infrastructure that had been moving 20% of the volume (UPS' competition) had to try and move that other 80% as well. They failed miserably.

Today that math is nearly reversed. UPS' market share is just North of 20%. So when you go on strike this time, it will be the infrastructure of the 80ish % trying to pick up that extra volume. Still a big task, but much more doable.

Likely, much more of the volume will move by other means than happened in 97. Which also means much more will not come back after the strike.
Whew..... sounds like UPS better be generous with this new contract...

Could be. I don't believe the competition could ramp up enough to take more than around 70% or so of UPS' volume, and that only if the strike went a few weeks. And I can't imagine it going longer than that. I'm just saying it would be way more than it was last time.

Think about it. They would do what they did last time. Rent more equipment, hire temps and work their current workforce tons more hours, contract with more independent carriers for the feeder runs, rent air planes, etc. What they did not do is build more buildings, but all of our competitors have literally millions more square feet of hub capacity than they did back then.

One reality of the new ecomerce economy you are forgetting is that the spike in peak volume compared to rest of the year volume has gotten way larger than it ever was, so our competitors, like UPS have been building the ability to ramp up quickly and to a much larger capacity at the end of the year than they used to. As I have said, no way I see them moving it all, but they will move a much larger percentage of it than they did last time. And if they can hit 60-70% by the time a strike comes to an end, you will see a lot of that volume never returning to brown trucks. Just something to think about.
So your number (70%) is 14 mil, right? 14 mil will be absorbed by all other carriers. 6 mil and all the over 70s will go undelivered / unshipped?

The strike and IE decisions are the only reasons why amazon didn’t go 100% UPS on non book items from the beginning.

brownIEman

I'm not the one throwing figures around. Back your claims up with credible links, or stop spreading your anti union / pro management propaganda around in the union forums. Go peddle that :censored2: in the Partner forums

The links are credible. Just because you don't agree with them or don't understand them does not reduce credibility in any way.

I will post where I choose. I would suggest you put your letter in and go into management if you have such a hankering to tell people what they can and cannot do. I don't work for you Turd.

The links are credible. Just because you don't agree with them or don't understand them does not reduce credibility in any way.

I will post where I choose. I would suggest you put your letter in and go into management if you have such a hankering to tell people what they can and cannot do. I don't work for you Turd.
Better go order some Browns