Preload - Can I fight a setup change?

watdaflock?

Edit: Nobody really explains anything in UPS.. lol.
Ask one of your buddies, who's stu?
The steward is supposed to be your friend, explain the safety issue with them. You may also have a group known as the safety committee.
Good luck with getting anything changed.

Heavy Package

Basically it's the same stuff on it except now it's it's 2.5~ feet too tall for the bay which means I have to run up stairs and duck to go in and out every single time..

I looked at the screen shots and that is pretty messed up. I would get with a steward ASAP and review your issue with them. I might also call OSHA as well.

Either way, I would SLOW DOWN and explain to anybody that I am concerned about injuring myself using the stairs without a handrail and that I do not have clearance into / out of the trailer.

UPSER1987

I just ain't going to help a leech.
Doesn't want to be in union they can do their own research

But that’s the problem. He’s been here a whole six months. He’s probably got a lame a** BA or lame a** stewards that aren’t looking out for the best interests of its members. He doesn’t even know if he’s in the union. Then everyone is up in arms when part timers don’t vote. Sometimes you gotta give to get...

Turdferguson

Just a turd
But that’s the problem. He’s been here a whole six months. He’s probably got a lame a** BA or lame a** stewards that aren’t looking out for the best interests of its members. He doesn’t even know if he’s in the union. Then everyone is up in arms when part timers don’t vote. Sometimes you gotta give to get...

He would know if he was paying dues

UPSER1987

I think you’d be surprised how much people DONT know. There’s a guy in here that posts every other day if his hours are being shaved, yet can’t correctly reconcile his hours

RolloTony Brown Town

Maybe I'm just complaining to complain but and I don't want to cause any unnecessary waves because I did just hurt my back trying to keep up with this change and had to take two weeks off. I'd like to avoid getting fired but I really feel this change is making it near impossible for me to keep up let alone work safely.

Basically they took my tow behind trailer and replaced it with a bulk trailer so they could take the RDR's off one package car(the package car that pulled the trailer) and put them on the trailer instead.

Basically it's the same stuff on it except now it's it's 2.5~ feet too tall for the bay which means I have to run up stairs and duck to go in and out every single time..

3 steps up
Screenshot - c6573dc4aebc3cf175a94332e41948e5 - Gyazo
I'm only 5'10 and the black bumper padding is under my chin.
Screenshot - 7833f31d8ca39bad70de6e05aecf47f0 - Gyazo

You can’t fight the set up change. The management team made a decision to change the lineup, the dispatch, and told you your assignment.

Walk don’t run. Work safe. Work as directed. If it causes you to stack then you stack. If they tell you not to stack then shut the belt off when you need to. If they tell you to turn it on, tell them you will when your egress is safe. If they tell you not to jog the belt then let packages ride down the belt. If a supervisor turns the belt on when you turn it off then file a grievance and contact osha cause that nonsense is very unsafe.

I understand you don’t want to make waves. I’m in management. We all want the belt to run and packages to be put away but you have to work safe. Cause they’ll lose it when you report the injury because you’re rushing in unsafe conditions.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You can’t fight the set up change. The management team made a decision to change the lineup, the dispatch, and told you your assignment.

Walk don’t run. Work safe. Work as directed. If it causes you to stack then you stack. If they tell you not to stack then shut the belt off when you need to. If they tell you to turn it on, tell them you will when your egress is safe. If they tell you not to jog the belt then let packages ride down the belt. If a supervisor turns the belt on when you turn it off then file a grievance and contact osha cause that nonsense is very unsafe.

I understand you don’t want to make waves. I’m in management. We all want the belt to run and packages to be put away but you have to work safe. Cause they’ll lose it when you report the injury because you’re rushing in unsafe conditions.
Driver's have won local panel decisions related to their preloader (who they have had for years) suddenly getting moved. The decision is made on the loader's "prior past practice" and is brought up when management has a hissy fit when the driver can't nearly work as quickly with the new loader.

RolloTony Brown Town

Driver's have won local panel decisions related to their preloader (who they have had for years) suddenly getting moved. The decision is made on the loader's "prior past practice" and is brought up when management has a hissy fit when the driver can't nearly work as quickly with the new loader.

It’s the same work but In different equipment. It appears the loader has more space.

I doubt local level panels will help the OP as a newer loader who is getting larger equipment. This loaders best bet is to play the safety card and force local level management to Adjust.

Box Ox

Do you pay dues?

Doesn’t matter. Still entitled to Union benefits and representation in RTW states. The problem RTW state folks can run into is weaker representation than folks up north would typically get. Union culture is strong among some members but isn’t widespread. And that can tend to be reflected in a RTW local’s available resources and leadership.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Driver's have won local panel decisions related to their preloader (who they have had for years) suddenly getting moved.

What part of the contract, says that pre-loaders can only be assigned to a

certain "set" of trucks ?

The decision is made on the loader's "prior past practice"

That makes no sense. It is just speculation on what "past practice" really is.

I'd like to see that decision, because it will read different.

and is brought up when management has a hissy fit when the driver can't nearly work as quickly with the new loader.

That part;

I can believe 100%.

A pre-loader can make or break.... a pkg drivers day. (if they let them)

Some of them suck.

But, only from a lack of training and or, un-realistic expectations.

Most want to do a good job.... right ?

watdaflock?

tada^ You see places like Detroit who considers themselves a "Union town" not get to 50% participation in voting.

Union propaganda junk-mail goes directly into the trash can.
If expecting part-timers to stay after work and listen to why it's so important to vote, make it worth the while! The constant junk-mail method isn't working. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Some areas the union places so little attention the part timers don't even know it exists. Been there, seen that.

It was very nice.
The union would rather just bitch and complain about the lousy contract and not enough voter participation than actually attempt to change.
Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. These old farts are so unwilling to change, yet they wonder why the union is dying.

Last edited:

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Doesn’t matter. Still entitled to Union benefits and representation in RTW states. The problem RTW state folks can run into is weaker representation than folks up north would typically get. Union culture is strong among some members but isn’t widespread. And that can tend to be reflected in a RTW local’s available resources and leadership.
Nah RTW scabs should be ignored.
Screw them