Previous egress example: Someone needs to change or be fired!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, if you saw an hourly being forced to work unsafely by his supervisor, why didn't you report this violation to the appropriate safety/management representatives?

Sincerely,

H
hurricanegunner,

I did not feel comfortable bringing this issue up to the appropriate safety/management representatives.

Please answer this, Why would I report this violation to those that you mention?

What do you think would actually result from this?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity, it is your responsibillity to report any and all safety hazards and violations. It is every employee's responsibility to do so. That hourly did his job. He reported the safety hazard to his superior and was ordered to keep working. You are the one who lectures everyone else here about the importance of safety and how much UPS cares about safety. You are the one who lectures us about our responsibility to report all safety hazards to UPS management because they "care" about our safety. You are the only one here who actually thinks UPS cares about our safety. As such, it was your responsibility to report this safety violation to the appropriate authorities.
What would management have done? According to you, they would have removed the employee from the compromising position and took steps to ensure the employee's safety. At least, that's what you think because you think they care about our safety.
Please tell me, why did you not feel comfortable reporting this safety violation. According to you, they care about our safety and should want to know about safety violations. They should be grateful to you for reporting safety violations.
Since you think corrective forms of punishment should be meted out to employees who violate safety standards, what sort of punishments should be given to emplyees who see safety violations and refuse to report them?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, it is your responsibillity to report any and all safety hazards and violations. It is every employee's responsibility to do so. True, I have currently failed in my responsibility, but I still might report it.

That hourly did his job. He reported the safety hazard to his superior and was ordered to keep working. ? Is that what I reported? If so, OK.

You are the one who lectures everyone else here about the importance of safety and how much UPS cares about safety.I usually only report back what is written in UPS Policy.

You are the one who lectures us about our responsibility to report all safety hazards to UPS management because they "care" about our safety.The UPS Policy and other written documents state that UPS cares isn't this the final rule on policy, regardless of local management failures to follow policy and other written documents.

You are the only one here who actually thinks UPS cares about our safety. That is just plain untrue. The IBT is in agreement with UPS as to the utmost importance of safety, why don't you read your contract. Your contract is binding.

As such, it was your responsibility to report this safety violation to the appropriate authorities. True, but I will decide what the appropriate authority is depending on my comfort. Haven't you read UPS Policy on reporting concerns, the Open Door Policy. I have final say as to who I bring this concern to and it is based upon my comfort, not yours or anyone else's. Read the policy you will see that I speak the truth. Policy has final say regardless of failures of local management to adhere to the policies.

What would management have done?My opinion, nothing but harass someone or view someone a troublemaker.

According to you, they would have removed the employee from the compromising position and took steps to ensure the employee's safety.Would do and should do are entirely different statements. I usually discuss what should be done according to written policy not what would be done base upon experience and local practice.

At least, that's what you think because you think they care about our safety. As I stated written policy and the IBT master contract clearly states that they care about safety.

Please tell me, why did you not feel comfortable reporting this safety violation.Local management usually don't strictly adhere to UPS written policy and IBT contract language and IMHO they cannot be trusted to handle issues such as this with Integrity.

According to you, they care about our safety and should want to know about safety violations. They should be grateful to you for reporting safety violations. Yes, they being the final rule on UPS written policy not they being local management employees who spend more time covering up lack of adherence to policy than they actually spend adhering to policy.

Since you think corrective forms of punishment should be meted out to employees who violate safety standards, what sort of punishments should be given to emplyees who see safety violations and refuse to report them?Progressive discipline in the case of hourly employees, immediate termination in the case of management employees.
hurricanegunner,

I have posted my responses above.

Sincerely,
I

Leftinbuilding

Integrity, are you a former politician? You can talk more, and say less, than anyone one this forum. And double speak? It is the stuff of legend. Please, for the sake of my sanity, don't respond to this post. I thank you.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Integrity, are you a former politician? You can talk more, and say less, than anyone one this forum. And double speak? It is the stuff of legend. Please, for the sake of my sanity, don't respond to this post. I thank you.
It's like trying to have a discussion with a tape recorder, just the same old lines. Never doing anything about anything but talks more than anyone about it. Scared to report safety violations but the first one to come up with some sort reinventing of the wheel to bring attention to himself, when in the end he's just a scared little man.

Search Results
in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈtegritē/
Noun
The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
The state of being whole and undivided: "territorial integrity".
Synonyms
honesty - probity - entirety - rectitude - wholeness

Having integrity is doing the moral and right thing all the time, regardless if you're scared or feel intmidated to do so. I stand by what I say, you lack integrity, not to mention a backbone to report safety violations to anyone.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's like trying to have a discussion with a tape recorder, just the same old lines.You do not seem very familiar with written UPS Policy. UPS policy is the final authority on conduct at UPS. Never doing anything about anything but talks more than anyone about it.This is an untrue statement you are making. Scared to report safety violations but the first one to come up with some sort reinventing of the wheel to bring attention to himself, when in the end he's just a scared little man.I did not say I was scared. I said I was uncomfortable. Every employee has a right to be comfortable with the method they choose to report employee concerns. You or anyone cannot take away that right. I encourage you to read the policy.

Search Results
in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈtegritē/
Noun
The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
The state of being whole and undivided: "territorial integrity".
Synonyms
honesty - probity - entirety - rectitude - wholeness

Having integrity is doing the moral and right thing all the time, regardless if you're scared or feel intmidated to do so. I stand by what I say, you lack integrity, not to mention a backbone to report safety violations to anyone.I am sorry you feel this way about Integrity.
Jackburton,

I have posted my responses above.

Sincerely,
I

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't see how folk expect UPS to baby sit them in their safety practices. UPS trains us on the correct methods. People don't use the correct methods. People use shortcuts because of manufactured fear that they'll lose their job if they don't meet a magical number. I've yet to see someone get canned for not meeting the magical number so long as they show up and work hard and try. Believe me, it's cheaper for UPS to send someone some help for 15 minutes than to train and train and train different new hires to do the job. But back to the point. Safety is a personal choice and responsibility. UPS is well within their rights to be upset if you hurt your back and you don't lift correctly. You can argue that UPS forces us to work unsafely and I call BS. It's your responsibility to get it done. Have your sups show you how to do the job efficiently and correctly if they have questions. Otherwise, it's harassment.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't see how folk expect UPS to baby sit them in their safety practices. UPS trains us on the correct methods. People don't use the correct methods. People use shortcuts because of manufactured fear that they'll lose their job if they don't meet a magical number. I've yet to see someone get canned for not meeting the magical number so long as they show up and work hard and try. Believe me, it's cheaper for UPS to send someone some help for 15 minutes than to train and train and train different new hires to do the job. But back to the point. Safety is a personal choice and responsibility. UPS is well within their rights to be upset if you hurt your back and you don't lift correctly. You can argue that UPS forces us to work unsafely and I call BS. It's your responsibility to get it done. Have your sups show you how to do the job efficiently and correctly if they have questions. Otherwise, it's harassment.
sortaisle,

Managing and operation and babysitting are similar in a very small way.

In a corporation Corporate Executives are counting on local management to look after the business in their stead.

I agree with you that it is every UPS employee's responsibility(management and hourly) to do the job according to UPS training and methods.

It follows that it is local managements responsibility to see that this gets done.

Leaders are responsible for the conduct of those under their authority.

If any employee is not fulfilling his or her responsibility they should be progressively disciplined to change.

If the employee fails to change they should be relieved of their responsibility.

UPS is not within their rights to be upset at an employee who hurts his or her back for lifting incorrectly.

They have no right to be upset when the local management fail to progressively discipline for correction failures in the 8 keys to lifting and lowering.

Being upset about this is a serious integrity failure.

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So again, what have you done about this issue? What will you do about future issues that arise instead of walking away, leaving an employee subject to danger while turning a blind eye? When will you address any of your actions instead of asking others what they would do?

Integrity

Binge Poster
So again, what have you done about this issue? Egress? If that is what you are talking about I have done nothing more than I have previously reported. My contact is documenting chronic violations that he is encountering. What will you do about future issues that arise instead of walking away, leaving an employee subject to danger while turning a blind eye? I am currently undecided as to what action I will take regarding egress, if this is the issue you are talking about. When will you address any of your actions instead of asking others what they would do?I have been open and honest about the actions that I have taken however inadequate they have been at this time.
Jackburton,

What course of action would you recommend?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I want to be closer to you.
Indecisi0n,

If you truly want to be closer to me then I can offer these tips.

Participate in the threads that I start in a respectful and serious manner, while maintaining your own personal style.

Please don't encourage personal attacks of any kind on any online discussion forum.

Sincerely,
I

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
OMG Did you ever get out as a kid and enjoy life ???? Did you marry the first girl you ever kissed ?? wake up John Boy and get off of Walton's Mountain !!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
To the OP, perhaps you should let management worry about disciplining workers. Maybe you should read the posts about safety committee members helping management writing other workers up.