Pro Athletes Earn Their Jobs Every Year. Would You Still Have Yours?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In the pro athlete world, athletes must earn their jobs every year and even every game.

that got me to thinking about our jobs. we are pretty well protected by the union. however , if we had to keep our jobs by merit alone, how many of us would still have jobs?

I bet half wouldn't. after 25 years I know I cant keep up with the younger drivers but I hope my experience would make up for it.

what if performance counted for everything?

WOULD YOU MAKE THE TEAM?

Tough Guy

You never know, there's some guys that are 20 or more years older than me that can run circles around me, and I'm no slouch. Not even knowing you or your center I'm sure you could do the same to some youngsters. At least on area knowledge alone.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pro athletes get paid what they do because they are athletically gifted individuals who are capable of physical feats that no one else is. Our job doesn't require anything like that, anybody can do it as long they aren't physically disabled. If we didn't have a union the job wouldn't go to the "best" person, it would go to the person who was willing work the cheapest.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
pay us like pro athletes with reasonable performance "cutoffs" and our tenures wouldn't last beyond physical prime ;)

telematics, ORION, and the endless reports look like an American sports team being displayed...not something I am proud of at all. embarrassing actually, goes to show (in part) how impersonal and detached the "real" management is from the everyday world.

jerseyupser

NFL players that's semi true but MLB and NBA their contracts are FULLY guaranteed no matter what. I'm not too sure how the NHL works.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The pro's have union's, insuring them guaranteed contracts and pensions. Even if your career is short, if you are smart with your money you should be in a great position.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
A couple of years ago, they would have said, "I remember when he was at the top of his game," as I hobbled out to my car at the end of the day. Since having my knees done, I am the comeback player of the year.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I prefer highly sought after recruit/free agent.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1433721459.467207.jpg