Proposal Analysis?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Does the Union have professionals analyze and report on new proposals before allowing them to enter negotiations?

For example, the Hybrid driver. One would expect the foresight to pick apart everything pro and con, advantages and disadvantages, and potential abuses. Who benefits and who may be negatively affected?

I do not know if the union operates in a business fashion like this? My gut feeling is no.
Yes, but they fired him, his name was O’Brien.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Does the Union have professionals analyze and report on new proposals before allowing them to enter negotiations?

For example, the Hybrid driver. One would expect the foresight to pick apart everything pro and con, advantages and disadvantages, and potential abuses. Who benefits and who may be negatively affected?

I do not know if the union operates in a business fashion like this? My gut feeling is no.

Each national negotiations takes negotiators that have worked for the Company, economists to analyze the costs of proposals, IBT lawyers to verify the language, and numerous others. White papers usually don't have the same team.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Each national negotiations takes negotiators that have worked for the Company, economists to analyze the costs of proposals, IBT lawyers to verify the language, and numerous others. White papers usually don't have the same team.
I would like to see the data on hybrid drivers. How much might it cost the regular driver in potential work lost? And what other problems such as layoffs, day to day disruptions such as route moves, etc, might it cost?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I would like to see the data on hybrid drivers. How much might it cost the regular driver in potential work lost? And what other problems such as layoffs, day to day disruptions such as route moves, etc, might it cost?

I am more interested to see what safeguards are in for this classification. Rumor says they limit the number according to number of drivers, etc.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see a seemless transition into this new phase. This is UPS after all.

Heavy Package

Here's the expert Dennis T picked for our side....

Fotolia_56535812_Subscription_Monthly_XXL.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Has the Union made any statements on their so-called Hybrid Driver position?

We have hybrid drivers now. They are top rate drivers that volunteer to come in early and load, then they deliver. They make 3 or 4 hours overtime. The agreement works great!

I can help but wonder if the leadership's motivation is simply generating more union dues at the expense of higher paid positions?

We have hybrid drivers now. They are top rate drivers that volunteer to come in early and load, then they deliver. They make 3 or 4 hours overtime. The agreement works great!

I can help but wonder if the leadership's motivation is simply generating more union dues at the expense of higher paid positions?
Not yet

The master is fairly irrelevant to a full scale drivers and part timers in my area. For the most part, the only use is for wage increases.

Pension, H & W, transfer, savings, legal, all covered regionally. Part time starting pay covered by minimum wage.

Pullman Brown

That's too transparent- then the truth would be out!

Pullman Brown

Yes! Quantity vs. Quality!

upsmaster

The hybrid driver plan was originally proposed by the Teamsters union, not the company, according to leaks from the union negotiating committee. This information has provoked widespread anger among the rank and file. Yesterday’s announcement amounts to a provocation against UPS workers. Lead negotiator Denis T, the bargaining committee, and Teamsters President James P. Hoffa simply ignored the near-unanimous opposition among UPS workers to the creation of a second tier of drivers. Instead, the Teamsters claimed that the new tier was in response to “membership concerns, including Saturday and Sunday delivery, excessive forced overtime [and] time off.”