PSA the new contract didn't magically go into effect today.

AwashBwashCwash

It weakened the Union and has made things like 22.4 possible.

PT workers established a cheaper work force for UPS.

It will destroy the high paying Jobs at UPS eventually.

Part-time positions at UPS make sense. Preload and local-sort take roughly 4 hours. No one wants to permanently do double shifts. Coming in for 4 hours and then leaving is fine.
The only problem with the part-time positions is that the wages suck. It didn't have to be this way.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You mean like starting PT wages going from $8/hr in 1982 to $10/hr in 2018?

Yep. My father made roughly double what I make now, due to inflation.
It isn't much fun to think about.

But I'm not going to start blaming people.
That's history.
I'm not here to play "victim", or accuse people of having held me down.

I'm here, to try to get a good contract for everyone. Aren't we all?

No BS tit for tat sort of thing where I'd screw over drivers.

You wouldn't be that petty, would you?

Part-time positions at UPS make sense. Preload and local-sort take roughly 4 hours. No one wants to permanently do double shifts. Coming in for 4 hours and then leaving is fine.
The only problem with the part-time positions is that the wages suck. It didn't have to be this way.
Who said anyone would be permanently double shifting. Seniority rules. Until you have enough juice, if you want the job, deal with it. Now you have part time jobs that pay nothing to start. And they wonder why preload is a revolving door.

Karma...

there are buildings that have full time teamsters that are not combos. the wages are pretty good for the long term part timers as are their ft medical and pension benefits. as far as I can figure the part timers were between a rock and a hard place starting in the 80's when they had absolutely no one to go to bat for them meaning the constant erosion of the pay and benefits for the new part timers for the benefit of the full timers and long time part timers. contracts are geared more to the full timers because part timers aka known as temporary employees with good reasons just don't vote. supply and demand at its most basic.

Karma...

remember either you are part of the problem or part of the solution..the distinction is not management or teamsters its own ups stock or not own ups stock. people don't get wealthy solely working for an hourly wage

WTFm8

Allowing PT Union employees allowed the IBT to triple its dues paying membership.

But dues are based on hourly income rate... drivers pay over triple what inside PT pay towards dues because the hourly rate is that much different.

So that cancels out tripling the membership money wise.