PT pay increase

wilberforce15

You part timers are your worst enemy. If the majority of you guys pulled together you'd have the upper hand vs the company.

Most Part-timers have very little seniority and no interest to stay around.

As for me, union meetings are scheduled right in the middle of my third job. I file on things around the hub pretty regularly, but I've never been to a meeting in my 9 years. You're never going to get an active PT union presence when the entire structure of the job exists to attract transient people and students for 1-2 years, at most, before they want fresh meat. That's on the rest of the union to fix.

Nobody is going to stay at a $10-12/hr job for a few years and get active in the union on the off-chance that it might get a little better if everybody does the same. You're setting up PTers to fail and then blaming them when they do.

Blackstream

I don't have a problem with it. The way I see it, I'm still a few years ahead of where I would be otherwise. I understand some people are angry, but I'd rather have a wage of $15/hr, which stays stagnant for a couple years than actually have to go through the progression of lower wages.

You're smart, playing the long game. I'm in that bracket too. I've seen plenty of friends/family getting jobs around me for like $18 an hour when I was far below that. Now, I'm at $16.25 an hour with overtime at almost $25 an hour, and those people are still going from job to job, or are stuck in a place they haven't gotten raises for years. And I'll keep going up.

The one real problem that for sure exists now though at my hub is that no one wants to be a sorter because they don't get that extra dollar an hour in exchange for having to memorize splits and getting :censored2: on every day by unload and their fellow sorters. And because they can always go to the sort aisle later to get that dollar, it just makes sense to wait until your base pay is high enough your skilled pay means something.

BigBrown1234

You're smart, playing the long game. I'm in that bracket too. I've seen plenty of friends/family getting jobs around me for like $18 an hour when I was far below that. Now, I'm at $16.25 an hour with overtime at almost $25 an hour, and those people are still going from job to job, or are stuck in a place they haven't gotten raises for years. And I'll keep going up.

The one real problem that for sure exists now though at my hub is that no one wants to be a sorter because they don't get that extra dollar an hour in exchange for having to memorize splits and getting :censored2: on every day by unload and their fellow sorters. And because they can always go to the sort aisle later to get that dollar, it just makes sense to wait until your base pay is high enough your skilled pay means something.

BRILLIANT!
You belong on Wall Street!
Why are you wasting your talent pushing boxes!

That’s all I gotta say about that. Why my friend why?

Blackstream

BRILLIANT!
You belong on Wall Street!
Why are you wasting your talent pushing boxes!

That’s all I gotta say about that. Why my friend why?
In all seriousness, because I'm an idiot. I have a computer science degree, but no motivation. So here I am being mediocre instead of taking chances. At least I'm being mediocre in a place that has a future than a place that doesn't like walmart.

BigBrown1234

In all seriousness, because I'm an idiot. I have a computer science degree, but no motivation. So here I am being mediocre instead of taking chances. At least I'm being mediocre in a place that has a future than a place that doesn't like walmart.

Not for long my friend, not for long!

You think UPS is going to continue to give us equivalent raises, medical, pension, to keep up with inflation for the next 30 years or by the time you get ready to retire!