Public Education

NTur7XlVDUdqM.gif

newfie

Well that simply doesn’t add up. Do you think that has a chance to pass?

Maybe. Tax cuts that don’t pay for themselves did. Maybe people will just see that as something that benefits them more than the $224 tax cut many of them got from republicans. Fascinating how that works.

its an illogical argument for her to make. Medicare for all means you have to pay more taxes and hope to save in insurance premiums.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
While great and true let's be honest, most Nobel prize winners come out of Europe and North America. Many are Jewish. Everything that went before added layers of understanding. Today's scientists, mathematicians, etc are achieving things they couldn't fathom in the 15th Century but who's groundwork laid the foundation for it all.
The point is that not teaching cultural mathematics and anthropology is detrimental, imo. If you want well rounded students that can think critically...that is really lacking in a narrow curriculum

People can argue this but I won't change my mind without some evidence it doesn't.

oldngray

nowhere special
The point is that not teaching cultural mathematics and anthropology is detrimental, imo. If you want well rounded students that can think critically...that is really lacking in a narrow curriculum

People can argue this but I won't change my mind without some evidence it doesn't.

Cultural mathematics is like everyone gets a trophy math. Numbers are completely culturally independent. Which is why math is often called the universal language.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Cultural mathematics is like everyone gets a trophy math. Numbers are completely culturally independent. Which is why math is often called the universal language.

It seems like the point he is making is that there are different ways of solving problems, but most of what is taught is mathematics developed by Europeans. I had never heard the claim that Europeans created math, it sounds like a strawman, or an idea held by misinformed people. I learned plenty about the origins of mathematics growing up. Sir Isaac Newton famously said "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." I don't think he meant only other Europeans mathematicians.

If there are other ways for people to understand mathematics, I don't oppose teaching them. But America, by and large, is populated by European decendants. To decry their way of doing things as "racist" is tantamount to calling all culture racist, and may as well be the final nail in the coffin of the failed idea of multi-culturalism.

oldngray

nowhere special
It seems like the point he is making is that there are different ways of solving problems, but most of what is taught is mathematics developed by Europeans. I had never heard the claim that Europeans created math, it sounds like a strawman, or an idea held by misinformed people. I learned plenty about the origins of mathematics growing up. Sir Isaac Newton famously said "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." I don't think he meant only other Europeans mathematicians.

If there are other ways for people to understand mathematics, I don't oppose teaching them. But America, by and large, is populated by European decendants. To decry their way of doing things as "racist" is tantamount to calling all culture racist, and may as well be the final nail in the coffin of the failed idea of multi-culturalism.

When Europe was in the dark ages Islamic scholars led the world in Mathematics. Which Europeans (and others) later built on.

No way it has a European cultural bias.

vantexan

So it's assumed if teaching mathematics that it's "white" mathematics? That minority children won't learn unless we cite examples of non-whites developing math? What of the non-whites who do learn without having to bring up their glorious history?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Again, no one is discussing numbers. Numbers are not necessary to solve mathematical problems. When people can't wrap their minds around this, it only demonstrates the lack of awareness the OP wanted to deny.

Math is NOT a singular language and that is pretty critical to understand.

This is the second or third time saying it. If you want to learn about ethnomathematics the resources are founded (though still fairly preliminary) and available.

vantexan

Again, no one is discussing numbers. Numbers are not necessary to solve mathematical problems. When people can't wrap their minds around this, it only demonstrates the lack of awareness the OP wanted to deny.

Math is NOT a singular language and that is pretty critical to understand.

This is the second or third time saying it. If you want to learn about ethnomathematics the resources are founded (though still fairly preliminary) and available.
And why are they fairly preliminary? Because today's "woke" are just starting this to elevate minority achievements while denigrating anything white. Whatever has been achieved by minority scientists, etc is great. But we don't have to denigrate one population to recognize the achievements of others. So calling mathematics racist because it's primarily whites doing it is at its core racist.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And why are they fairly preliminary? Because today's "woke" are just starting this to elevate minority achievements while denigrating anything white. Whatever has been achieved by minority scientists, etc is great. But we don't have to denigrate one population to recognize the achievements of others. So calling mathematics racist because it's primarily whites doing it is at its core racist.
That's fine, I am not trying to change your mind. ;)