Pursue Falsification?

bbsam

Staff member
YOU wouldn't know if the signature was mine or the driver's even if you did have a tracking number.

Are you a handwriting expert or something?

No, I am not. But if you had pursued this matter yourself as you imply that you did, the Ground driver would probably be gone right now. I've seen Fedex security grill drivers about such things and it invariably becomes "not pretty". First they'd come to you, hear your complaint face to face, take a sample of you signature back to the building, sit the driver down and lay the issue out for him. Over, and over, and over each time giving the driver the chance to explain him or herself. It's when the explanations start that the lying begins and the lies turn on themselves and the driver becomes confused and he either confesses and is fired for falsification, or he maintains his innocence through it all and they start watching for more signs of forgery. Remember, delivery sheets are legal documents. I'm sure that fact is covered with the driver ad nauseum.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, I am not. But if you had pursued this matter yourself as you imply that you did, the Ground driver would probably be gone right now. I've seen Fedex security grill drivers about such things and it invariably becomes "not pretty". First they'd come to you, hear your complaint face to face, take a sample of you signature back to the building, sit the driver down and lay the issue out for him. Over, and over, and over each time giving the driver the chance to explain him or herself. It's when the explanations start that the lying begins and the lies turn on themselves and the driver becomes confused and he either confesses and is fired for falsification, or he maintains his innocence through it all and they start watching for more signs of forgery. Remember, delivery sheets are legal documents. I'm sure that fact is covered with the driver ad nauseum.

Just curious. How does FedEx Security deal with the drivers? Closed room (as in imprisoned against your will), forcing an employee to make a written statement etc.?

bbsam

Staff member
Just curious. How does FedEx Security deal with the drivers? Closed room (as in imprisoned against your will), forcing an employee to make a written statement etc.?

Closed room and enough rope to hang oneself. By the time security shows up, everyone has a pretty good idea of what's going down. i.e. the vacation driver who kept having i-pods disappear from his truck.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Closed room and enough rope to hang oneself. By the time security shows up, everyone has a pretty good idea of what's going down. i.e. the vacation driver who kept having i-pods disappear from his truck.

It sounds like FedEx Security is one and the same, as in it covers both Express and Ground. They are well-known for some "interesting" tactics.

bbsam

Staff member
It sounds like FedEx Security is one and the same, as in it covers both Express and Ground. They are well-known for some "interesting" tactics.
True. Never have seen them take someone out who didn't deserve to go though. Good riddance and I can honestly say I'm glad there wasn't a union to try to bring them back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True. Never have seen them take someone out who didn't deserve to go though. Good riddance and I can honestly say I'm glad there wasn't a union to try to bring them back.

There have been several terminations in my center that I felt were justified yet the union was able to get their jobs back for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An honest question: Is UPS better because of that?

Truthfully? No. One of the terminations was for a driver who was caught (off-duty) with marijuana in his vehicle. The other was for a driver who was involved in a serious backing accident and was observed not wearing his seat belt on two separate occasions less than a week after the accident. To be fair, the second driver is now one of our better drivers, while the first would be better served working the McDonald's drive-thru.

There is a time and place for the union. For example, we had a driver who had three Tier 3 accidents and 12 injuries in her 12 year career. She had become a liability. The union and UPS worked together to create a FT Art 22.3 position for her inside the hub. She kept her job and a cover driver got a bid run. She did lose about $9/hr in the process.

I would not want the fragile existence of an at-will employee but also feel that having the union in their back pocket gives some employees a false sense of security. Unions also promote mediocrity.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

By the way this happened several years ago and the crazy thing was that I was home at the time. It might have cost the driver a whopping 10 seconds of his day to do things right. I called and complained and all they said was "well he's not supposed to be doing that and well you know he's an independent contractor." Like that was any justification.

I suppose when he returned to the building he got his hands slapped 40 times with the wet noodle.

Also I find it interesting what Ground releases at residential stops. Computers (sitting in the rain), wine shipments, amunition, Bose wave radios etc. I hope for the customer's sake that stuff is still sitting there at their doorsteps when they return home.

bbsam

Staff member
Truthfully? No. One of the terminations was for a driver who was caught (off-duty) with marijuana in his vehicle. The other was for a driver who was involved in a serious backing accident and was observed not wearing his seat belt on two separate occasions less than a week after the accident. To be fair, the second driver is now one of our better drivers, while the first would be better served working the McDonald's drive-thru.

There is a time and place for the union. For example, we had a driver who had three Tier 3 accidents and 12 injuries in her 12 year career. She had become a liability. The union and UPS worked together to create a FT Art 22.3 position for her inside the hub. She kept her job and a cover driver got a bid run. She did lose about $9/hr in the process.

I would not want the fragile existence of an at-will employee but also feel that having the union in their back pocket gives some employees a false sense of security. Unions also promote mediocrity.

Thank-you for your candor. And it was asked not so much as an angle to "union bash" as wondering about the aftermath. That is, do employees given multiple times to correct their actions typically do so in these serious situations.

tracker2762

If an employee is caught stealing, they are terminated and walked off the property. We had a driver this month taken out in handcuffs by the police. The union won't be there to get his job back, if you steal you are done.

Upstates examples happen in any company union or not.

quadro

Also I find it interesting what Ground releases at residential stops. Computers (sitting in the rain), wine shipments, amunition, Bose wave radios etc. I hope for the customer's sake that stuff is still sitting there at their doorsteps when they return home.
That's why both Express and Ground have a variety of signature options so that the customer can decide what works best for them.

Mr Fedex

Banned
Falsifying=stealing.This is true at any job.You think a company would get mad that their employees like to work for free?Never.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's why both Express and Ground have a variety of signature options so that the customer can decide what works best for them.

Look at the items I mentioned.

Do you think any of those qualifies to be released without a signature?

When Ground ignores details like that, it makes ALL of FedEx look bad.

quadro

Look at the items I mentioned.

Do you think any of those qualifies to be released without a signature?

When Ground ignores details like that, it makes ALL of FedEx look bad.
Alcohol certainly doesn't but then that is shipped with an adult signature required. If it isn't, it shouldn't be delivered anyway. Ammunition is DG so it can't be shipped without requiring a signature. As for the other items if the shipper wants to ship a Bose radio or computer without requiring a signature, that's up to them. I won't leave it where everyone can see it but that doesn't mean I won't leave it. If it's not protected from the weather and I can't put it in a bag, I won't leave it.

I get customers complaining all the time that I didn't leave their shipment and they don't really care when I explain to them that the shipper required a signature. They would prefer that I just leave it no matter what it is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ever see those "America's Dumbest" shows? Anyone who falsifies a signature deserves to be on there.

They do it to keep pace with the numbers they are expected to produce. Yes, it's dumb, but couriers do it every day. Maybe you're in a good station with good management, but many aren't so lucky. I can see where someone being pressured to do more will do it by any means necessary because they're afraid for their job. It's an ironic Catch-22.