Pursue Falsification?

bbsam

Staff member
They do it to keep pace with the numbers they are expected to produce. Yes, it's dumb, but couriers do it every day. Maybe you're in a good station with good management, but many aren't so lucky. I can see where someone being pressured to do more will do it by any means necessary because they're afraid for their job. It's an ironic Catch-22.
So you are saying that a courier could be pressured into forging a signature with his job on the line? How does that happen? I could see their job on the line for forging the signature, but not the other way around.

LTFedExer

Ever seen a courier fake a signature? Happens all the time.
Bull. I don't think most wouldn't risk their job in this economy. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but nowhere near as often as your comment makes it appear.
They do it to keep pace with the numbers they are expected to produce. Yes, it's dumb, but couriers do it every day. Maybe you're in a good station with good management, but many aren't so lucky. I can see where someone being pressured to do more will do it by any means necessary because they're afraid for their job. It's an ironic Catch-22.
Bull. A stop is a stop. Whether it's a Dex 8 or POD makes no difference on your numbers.
So you are saying that a courier could be pressured into forging a signature with his job on the line? How does that happen? I could see their job on the line for forging the signature, but not the other way around.
Pressured to physically sign the persons name? No.
Pressured to override a DSR and release the package? I could see a manager trying it.
I've had a manager ask me release a DSR. I told her without something in wririntg, I won't. The final decision will always rest on your shoulders.

whenIgetthere

Ever seen a courier fake a signature? Happens all the time.

I've never seen it, but have been told by others that they do it. They're nuts. One example, I covered a very heavy route a few years back, had a doc, for a lawyers office in an office building, she was closed that day, so I tagged the office. Next day, regular courier tells me don't 08 them, just sign her name and slide it under the door. I told him you can do that, not me!!! Now I know why management has the perception that he is the best courier in the station!! I'll go back tomorrow, I'm not risking my job for a forged signature on a doc!!

bbsam

Staff member
Bull. I don't think most wouldn't risk their job in this economy. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but nowhere near as often as your comment makes it appear.

Bull. A stop is a stop. Whether it's a Dex 8 or POD makes no difference on your numbers.

Pressured to override a DSR and release the package? I could see a manager trying it.
I've had a manager ask me release a DSR. I told her without something in wririntg, I won't. The final decision will always rest on your shoulders.

I'm surprised you can override a DSR. We have to get shipper permission to do that.

LTFedExer

I'm surprised you can override a DSR. We have to get shipper permission to do that.
You DO need the shippers permission to do that. If the permission comes before you leave the building, we get an agent to relabel it. If it comes while you're on the road, it'll come with a control number you use as a release number (VERY rare). Release it without shippers consent, you're risking your job.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
You DO need the shippers permission to do that. If the permission comes before you leave the building, we get an agent to relabel it. If it comes while you're on the road, it'll come with a control number you use as a release number (VERY rare). Release it without shippers consent, you're risking your job.

The only way we could release it without shippers consent on road would be to forge a signature. Driver release option in scanner is otherwise disabled through barcode scan.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Bull? Sorry, but couriers often fake signatures in order to keep up with the workload. Why would they do it? For one, if it's a time-consuming residential, they want to get rid of the stop, and they also know that the vast majority of customers just want their package. It's the shipper that is interested in the POD to protect themselves. Yes, it's dumb to do it, but couriers frequently just sign the name on the PowerPad.

A stop is a stop? For years, many couriers would DEX08 the pkg before they were even out of the truck, and then POD it when the consignee signed for it. If asked about it, all they'd have to say is that they rang the doorbell and the customer didn't get to the door promptly. All you have to do is wait 60 seconds, and then you have credit for 2 stops. Instant productivity. Now it gets tracked (supposedly), but a lot of couriers still do it to pump-up the numbers.

I won't release an ISR or DSR unless I have a release number provided to me by a dispatcher. They can generate them if the customer or shipper calls-in to override the restriction.

LTFedExer

The only way we could release it without shippers consent on road would be to forge a signature. Driver release option in scanner is otherwise disabled through barcode scan.
Not necessarily.
There are mechanical ways around it.
Truth and if you don't know how it's done, that's a good thing. Don't ask.
Bull? Sorry, but couriers often fake signatures in order to keep up with the workload. Why would they do it? For one, if it's a time-consuming residential, they want to get rid of the stop, and they also know that the vast majority of customers just want their package. It's the shipper that is interested in the POD to protect themselves. Yes, it's dumb to do it, but couriers frequently just sign the name on the PowerPad.
I didn't say it doesn't happen. I just said it's not as rampant as you made it appear.
A stop is a stop? For years, many couriers would DEX08 the pkg before they were even out of the truck, and then POD it when the consignee signed for it. If asked about it, all they'd have to say is that they rang the doorbell and the customer didn't get to the door promptly. All you have to do is wait 60 seconds, and then you have credit for 2 stops. Instant productivity. Now it gets tracked (supposedly), but a lot of couriers still do it to pump-up the numbers.
If they still do it, this eventually will backfire with the way the new goals are set.