PVD drivers getting work when there are RPCD without even 100 stops

FromOffTheStreets

It's really a simple fix. Post 3 sign up sheets for peak season.
1. Max hours 10-12
2. Normal hours 8-9
3. Go home early 6-8
Everyone signs one for the duration of peak & management uses these as the playbook for extra stops & pickups

JJspvd

1. This is my third year as a PVD here in Florida. Last 3 weeks they are only giving me 2 days a week of work. Other PVDs seem to have steady work, They say not enough packages for me. Last year I worked about 60/hours a week. I think it is something personal coming from new road manager, a month on the job here from up north. I don't know who to complain/ask about lack of hours: anybody know the chain of command? I'm retired, but like the work and extra money I make, or used to make as a PVD. I don't want to take any work away from UPS regulars, but UPS is still hiring PVDs in my area.

2. Or if is really a lack of packages, that spells trouble for UPS regular drivers. And probably for UPS stock prices. Amazon's own delivery services, their own trucks and jets and non-union drivers are slicing the delivery pie too small. The Post Office drivers now work Sundays delivering only Amazon packages.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
No not really, you'd just set the plan hours accordingly and dispatch the routes 'into the white'

I mean, tbh, most dispatchers unofficially already do this based on runner or dragger status
I can vouch for the dragger status side. When I was on vacation my replacement usually got 20-30 more stops than the target.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It's really a simple fix. Post 3 sign up sheets for peak season.
1. Max hours 10-12
2. Normal hours 8-9
3. Go home early 6-8
Everyone signs one for the duration of peak & management uses these as the playbook for extra stops & pickups
Number 3 on that list is a no. 8 hour guarentee.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
2. Or if is really a lack of packages, that spells trouble for UPS regular drivers. And probably for UPS stock prices. Amazon's own delivery services, their own trucks and jets and non-union drivers are slicing the delivery pie too small. The Post Office drivers now work Sundays delivering only Amazon packages.
Lmao... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is done to keep the PVD's coming back.
The same happens with the coyote feeder contractors.
If they aren't guaranteed work they won't come back.
The company can't/won't allow the pimped help to leave in the middle of peak.

Do I like it? NO.

Wish I could help.
You know how many times I took an empty trailer somewhere and gypos pulled my loads last year…happened all the time.. as long as I was doing my legs they said I’m getting paid…whatever.

Wally

I think dispatching is a little more complicated than that.
Extensive training is involved!

chimpDM2401_468x341.jpg

Wally

I more thought of it as in driver's in the area. If no one in a loop wants more than 8 now they have to have a driver go out of his way to deliver 30 stops. Doesn't seem cost effective or doable through dispatch. Also what about pickups after 5pm?
They might want 8 but it might not happen.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I don’t think I have a PVD running my work I still have my usual area. I haven’t had an increase in volume or stops yet. Airs relaxed until 3PM no commit times for residentials. They forced everyone in the first Saturday but there wasn’t any work now they ask people to stay home. I’ve been done for an hour now waiting for pickups to start. They tried sending those elsewhere but got them back. I could have been punched out by 3 today if I wanted to. Can’t count on the OT anymore live your lives like you make 60k a year after taxes. I think this is a combo of peak being a dud and work going to PVDs. In my center they started working about two weeks before Black Friday. We even have cover drivers just shuttling misloads. First peak ever where that has happened.

J.D. Hogg

In my building, most Drivers arrive an hour before the Preload is over, and help 'organize' their trucks.

The Preloaders like when the Drivers help them.

Never heard a complaint about Drivers helping.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think dispatching is a little more complicated than that.
I always wondered why they changed the contract from a one day warning for an 8 hour request to 7 days. Ups said one day wasn’t enough time to plan proper dispatch.. but how many times have they busted out 2 or 3 routes 20 minutes before the drivers start time…

542thruNthru

I always wondered why they changed the contract from a one day warning for an 8 hour request to 7 days. Ups said one day wasn’t enough time to plan proper dispatch.. but how many times have they busted out 2 or 3 routes 20 minutes before the drivers start time…
Yeah I always make a proposal for 48 hours. That's plenty of time. 5 days is over kill.